HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
And the historic core is cool to see in person and on photos but not really worth going too far out of your way to visit unless you have business in the area.
What? Alot of people visit the bars and restaurants there. Espescially the younger crowd. It has alot vibrancy and looks much better in person.

But please, go on and tell me how much more vibrant downtown Dallas and Houston are .
LMAO

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Los Angeles already has a movie/TV studio in downtown LA, or at least DTLA adjacent, on the west side of the 110 Freeway:

https://www.lacenterstudios.com/

It is indeed a veritable fortress. It's where the former Unocal headquarters was located.
And it's been there for awhile too. Hollywood's quiestest section is around Paramount Studios. Same is true for the areas around Santa Monica blvd, which have many production companies.
So again, I don't know what he's talking about.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Your mindset is from like 2005... Museums, interesting neighborhoods, the hottest food scene in the country, cultural amenities, Sports, pretty much daily outdoor music and performances, historic theaters... DTLA is literally anything but dull. Yes, we have some issues, but being dull is not one of them
I think his opinions are based more in 1995.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:49 PM

Another similarity between Socal and South Florida is Spanish Colonial architecture. The Moorish arches, the classic red tile roofs. Mar-a-Lago would fit comfortably in Laguna beach or Malibu, but again, would this fit in to the category of superficially similar? I don't know.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:43 PM

Speaking of LA development, there seems to be a solid amount of highrise proposals all over the city last couple of weeks.

And downtown LA has several 60-70 story new proposals in last few months.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
I can't say I agree with that. For LA's Downtown to be a popping, very important area, Hollywood would have had to have been in it or adjacent to it along with some movie studios. Or, as I always note, for it to have been along the coast near the port, some beaches and perhaps with some combination of the above.

It's unfortunate but I still like DTLA, especially the older area.
What odd reasoning - so much so that I can’t make sense of it. You do realize that DTLA and Hollywood are connected by heavy rail and the neighborhoods that connect them have the highest per capita density in LA (Westlake, Koreatown)?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 7:08 PM

I have no reason to believe he knows much about LA. He sounds like a guy who's MAYBE been here a few times, and that was a long time ago.

Even before Heavy Rail, Downtown LA was the center of the metro in the 1920s-1950s or so, and Hollywood was doing great.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 7:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I don't see the Florida comparisons to LA either. LA seems to be much older and dense overall.
Palm trees.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Downtown Pomona? You must be trolling. I've been there and it's a ghost town, even when the LA county fair was going on just a stone's throw away. It's just too far away from the urban center. It has its charms but it's just like any other sleepy downtown area you find all over the IE.

Pomona does have twice the population density as Houston though. There's that.
There are unincorporated areas and suburbs within Houston metro that are denser than Houston. Pomona being denser doesn't mean a thing except it's a small developed city.

As for Downtown LA, it's growing by leaps and bounds. It's been incredible to watch in just the few years I've been here. And we're only talking about the immediate core within the Downtown Freeway Loop. It already has the best transit access in all of SoCal and it's only going to get better once the other lines are completed. In my opinion, LA's core is a bit larger than that but that's besides the point.

What Downtown LA severely lacks is parkland/open space, especially in the areas where most of these new condo towers and apartment buildings are going (like South Park). All of the parks seem to be in the financial district and those parks are tiny in my opinion. Maybe some surface lots that haven't been taken or some small nondescript warehouses can be developed into a park.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I have no reason to believe he knows much about LA. He sounds like a guy who's MAYBE been here a few times, and that was a long time ago.

Even before Heavy Rail, Downtown LA was the center of the metro in the 1920s-1950s or so, and Hollywood was doing great.
I will admit that my expertise is in the outlying areas as opposed to the heart and particularly the northern areas of LA County. But my opinions may sound strange to you because you don't agree, not because I'm some dumb semi-outsider that knows nothing about LA.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
I've always questioned his knowledge of LA, and the Pomona comparison just proves my point. He has no idea what he's talking about.

Not to mention, what in Dallas or Houston compares to the Arts District, Little Tokyo, Chinatown, or the Fashion District? Please don't say Deep Ellum either. That place wouldn't stand out in LA whatsoever.

The Fashion District is messy and not everyone's cup of tea, but it is LARGE. If it was in any other sun belt city (except New Orleans or South Beach), it would be considered the most vibrant/urban neighborhood easily.
Oh, so what, because I like Pomona more than some and that makes me a total outsider? I'll take Downtown Pomona over a number of SoCal attractions, including Hollywood Blvd (I'm not a tourist trap tourist or transplant, so why would I care for the Walk of Fame?).

DTLA is relatively bland, it's cool in many respects but for a city of its size is very average and lacks a certain punch.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
What odd reasoning - so much so that I can’t make sense of it. You do realize that DTLA and Hollywood are connected by heavy rail and the neighborhoods that connect them have the highest per capita density in LA (Westlake, Koreatown)?
And that changes my point how? Nobody said anything about them not being reachable from one another.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:57 PM

I seems I'm the not the only one who thinks your responses are stange.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, so what, because I like Pomona more than some and that makes me a total outsider? I'll take Downtown Pomona over a number of SoCal attractions, including Hollywood Blvd (I'm not a tourist trap tourist or transplant, so why would I care for the Walk of Fame?).

DTLA is relatively bland, it's cool in many respects but for a city of its size is very average and lacks a certain punch.
It's one thing to prefer it, but it's another thing to say it's a better core.
Which makes zero sense at any level.

How is Downtown LA bland? Downtown LA is many things but dull or bland is not it. That's what Houston or Dalllas are usually called on thsese forums.

Downtown LA is not those places. If yout think it is, it's hard to take your opinion seriously. Alof them aren't even true to begin with.

Last edited by LA21st; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:13 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Well, you pretty much shared some similarities already, despite them being general. Miami isn't a beach town either, and I was referring to the metros themselves in terms of their coastal beach towns ( Santa Monica/ South Beach) vs their more inland suburbs (Inland Empire/ Homestead,Loxahatchee, and everything bordering the Everglades.)
My argument has always been that the similarities between the two places are superficial, not that there aren't any similarities of any kind whatsoever. Beaches, Latinos, and warm weather are comparisons that run skin-deep. It's not unlike someone calling Chicago a "smaller, cleaner version of NYC" because of tall buildings, cold weather, and a legacy of European immigrants.

Quote:
Although LA and Miami are the largest and most dominant cities of their respective metro areas, they aren't the main action around. At least in South Florida, you can live years in Palm Beach or Broward county without ever having to go to Miami Dade. West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale have good downtowns for their size and several other towns that complement them like Boca Raton, Delray, Pompano, Hollywood, etc.
I agree with your first point, but disagree with the second. I wouldn't qualify large, independent municipalities with their own sphere of influence as "nodes".

Quote:
Even in Miami Dade county, a lot of the action is in South Beach as opposed to downtown Miami, which is similar to Downtown LA in that it has some old bones but is still on the path of becoming "solid".
But downtown Miami and Miami Beach are only separated by four miles (of water). Most of the activity and appeal generally associated with "Miami" is confined to a small area of the region.

Quote:
So it can be safe to say that LA shares some similarities and differences with its Sunbelt peers. The similarities don't demean it. In fact, it makes it a bit more familiar, at least for me.
I'm just pointing out what I see. It's not about trying to avoid associations with other Sun Belt metropoli.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:19 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
If it wasn't for the historic area, Downtown LA would have the appeal of Downtown Dallas or Houston, which isn't terrible but certainly nothing special, not for a city of its size and with its cultural amenities.
But the Historic Core does exist and was "Downtown LA" long before Bunker Hill was redeveloped. Next.

Quote:
And the historic core is cool to see in person and on photos but not really worth going too far out of your way to visit unless you have business in the area.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:29 PM

@LA21st

I said pound-for-pound. Of course I'd find myself in DTLA more, it's much bigger. Of course it's better overall.

Maybe it's developed some since the last time I visited but for a city of its size, DTLA is bland.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

a public service announcement to all of the angelenos in this thread:

Thephun1 is infamous on this forum for expressing his sincere belief that jacksonville has a more impressive skyline than toronto.

he tends to have extremely strange and unusual opinions about this kinda stuff; i wouldn't take him too seriously if i were you.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
a public service announcement to all of the angelenos in this thread:

Thephun1 is infamous on this forum for expressing his sincere belief that jacksonville has a more impressive skyline than toronto.

he tends to have extremely strange and unusual opinions about this kinda stuff; i wouldn't take him too seriously if i were you.
I can be an outlier, that's for sure. I never went with the in-crowd growing up.

Yes, my opinions can surprise people but they're usually reasonably deducted. Not just to rebel against the system or anything but I'm one of the few willing to get laughed at and ridiculed when I have an unpopular opinion and won't easily back down just because I just get criticized. I'm not extreme on everything (I think NYC has the best skyline in the world) but when I do have an unpopular opinion, I won't back off just because the wolves come out.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 10:02 PM

I knew that came from somewhere. Didn't know he was the guy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions