HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 1:36 PM
proboscum

I kept meaning to show some updated photos but never got around to it. Here is a high quality rendering located at the construction site, and a shot of the building as it looked on January 24th.

I don't have a whole lot of information on the building itself. Mode Gakuen is a art and fashion vocational school. I believe it is the largest school of its kind in Japan, and this will be the tallest building belonging to a school in Japan. It is due to be completed in late October of 2008.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 11:28 PM
always lost

fantastic, thanks for those! almost a pity it's right in the middle of nishi-shinjuku, where it'll get lost a bit. but i'll be keeping my eye on that site.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 3:00 AM

I think this building is the most futuristic Tokyo skyline has...
Anyway it is 200 meter high so it cannot outstand from the other buildings around.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 4:15 PM
proboscum

Updated. All the info in the first post of this thread, and all the renderings in the second post have been updated with the lastest information I have. Check them out.

Also, Air Rise Tower, Fujisoft Akihabara Building, and Pacific Tower Atagoyama are all completed, bringing 2007's current total to 3.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 4:46 PM
proboscum

By the way onmyoji, I know this is a little late but the Mode Gakuen Tower will only be blocked on one side. It will be clearly visible from Shinjuku station and from Takashimaya Times Square...basically anywhere from the east northeast, or southeast. But from directly north, or west, or southwest, like from Say Nakano, it will be hidden behind the other buildings. So in a way, it will be able to show itself off a bit.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 2:19 PM

thanks a lot for your news and the latest information...as usual great work.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 5:07 PM

28/03/07 07h56 GMT+1
AFP News brief
'Sexier' Tokyo opens tallest skyscraper
by Kimiko de Freytas-Tamura

Tokyo this week opens its highest skyscraper featuring top-notch shops, restaurants and even a hospital as the metropolis tries to project a slicker, sexier image than rising Asian rivals.

Tokyo Midtown, built on what used to be the Defence Agency headquarters, is the latest giant urban complex to transform the world's most populous city and is just a short walk from similarly envisioned four-year-old Roppongi Hills.

Rising 248 metres (813 feet), the central tower of the pentagonal complex is the city's tallest structure other than the uninhabited Tokyo Tower.

Besides 132 shops and restaurants, Tokyo Midtown features a Ritz-Carlton Hotel -- billed as the most luxurious address in the city -- and a medical centre affiliated with Baltimore's prestigious Johns Hopkins University.

It also includes the Suntory Museum, the second major new art gallery to open in Tokyo this year, and pricey condominiums.

The designers said Tokyo Midtown -- which opened to invited guests Wednesday and will open its doors to the public Friday -- was meant to show a more sensitive, aesthetically aware side of Japan, the world's second largest economy.

"Through Midtown, we aim to turn Tokyo into the centre of intellectual creativity for business and culture in Japan, Asia and the world," said Hiromitsu Iwasa, head of Mitsui Real Estate in charge of the project.

"We also want this area to be the centre from which Japanese values and aesthetic sense will be sent out to the world," he said.

A consortium of six companies built the 69,000 square-metre (741,000 square-foot) complex at a cost of 370 billion yen (three billion dollars).

In one corner of Tokyo Midtown is the 21_21 Design Site, Japan's first institute dedicated to studying the creative process of design.

"Japan is essentially known as an economic powerhouse, and we want to show the world another face -- one of design and aesthetics," said architect Tadao Ando, who conceptualised the 21_21 Design Site with renowned fashion designer Issey Miyake.

Miyake hoped the institute would help change a society "solely focused on consumption."

"Today in Japan, we only create products to sell. There is a competition, devoid of feeling, that revolves around the packaging. The goal of design is elsewhere. It is necessary to make more ties with society," Miyake said.

Iwasa, head of the Midtown design, said the project would help Tokyo retrieve an international standing that has slipped since Japan's 1990s recession, as other Asian cities such as Shanghai, Singapore and Hong Kong catch up.

"Winning against international competition (depends on) Japan's aggressive application of design, which is one of the reasons for Japan's competitiveness and is internationally acclaimed," Iwasa said.

Tokyo Midtown lies close to Roppongi Hills, another giant complex of shops, restaurants and condominiums which opened in 2003 and has quickly become a magnet for a young generation of entrepreneurs -- most famously fallen Internet tycoon Takafumi Horie.

Experts said the growing number of mega-complexes in Tokyo was one just one step in ensuring that the metropolis remains attractive.

"Japan needs to make Tokyo sexier," said Yoji Otani, a real estate analyst at Credit Suisse Securities.

"Midtown is not enough. Tokyo will need to develop more diverse facilities and think seriously of ways to make itself attractive for reasons other than its economy."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 5:22 AM
Puyo!

It seems like they finally realized that they need to get in the competition. I wonder what the design of new tallest will be look like.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 1:41 PM
proboscum

I've been a little slow updating again. The biggest news is that Tokyo Mid-Town is now open.

Some other buildings completed since I last updated include Park Axis Aoyama 1-chome Tower, Shibaura Island Air Tower, Shibaura Island Grove Tower, World City Towers Capital Tower, World City Towers Breeze Tower, and Diet Member Akasaka Residence.

In other news, the Mode Gakuen Coccoon Tower is proceeding. They've actually completed the facade on a couple floors, so we can get an idea of what it will actually look like when finished.

Last edited by LeeWilson; Apr 15, 2007 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 6:22 AM

Its amazing how you get all the details of these new towers coming up in Tokyo. I was there 2 weeks ago and stayed at the Ritz Carlton, mid town.Great development.
Do you know how much or know of links which can assist me with the transacted sales or rental prices in Tokyo.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 11:08 AM

woooow the mode gakuen is really interesting...!! but I am still waiting for the nishi shinjuku redevelopment....

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
Puyo!

It's really exciting to see the Mode Gakuen constructing!

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 8:16 AM
proboscum

Small update. The Shin-Marunouchi Building opened to much fanfare about a month ago. Additionally, Sapia Tower and Vanguard Tower have been completed. I need to confirm the status of some other buildings.

Oddly, the Tokyo Medical and Dental University Research Building II appears to be on hold. It has been topped out, but it is missing the facade on two of the four main sides. I pass by this building every Friday, and I've seen no activity on the site for a few months now. It was supposed to have been completed in March, but there is still a lot of work to be done. I don't know the reason for this yet.

wphk: I don't know of any websites with the information you're looking for.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 7:59 AM
proboscum

Toshikatsu Matsuoka, Japanese minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries committed suicide on May 28th, in the just-completed Lower House Member Akasaka Residence.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 5:22 PM
proboscum

I have used Google Maps's My Maps feature to map out the buildings under construction, proposed buildings, and buildings completed in 2007. You can check it out here: http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF...30eebac4e40b9c

I haven't finished yet...most proposed buildings are missing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWilson View Post
I have used Google Maps's My Maps feature to map out the buildings under construction, proposed buildings, and buildings completed in 2007. You can check it out here: http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF...30eebac4e40b9c

I haven't finished yet...most proposed buildings are missing.
hey, thanks for keeping this thred going, I also live in Tokyo so I'll try to add some updates when I get time.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 11:47 PM

As someone who just visited Tokyo less than a month ago:

-I never wished for more skyscrapers
-I never wished for taller skyscrapers
-I never wished for different architecture

The city is stunning because it is what it is. The buildings look and 'feel' different than anywhere I have ever been. The density and unrelenting mass of the city is awesome.

Pictures will never do Tokyo justice.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 11:49 PM

Clarification:

Its not that I think Tokyo should not have buildings that are new, different, and all that - its just the city is absolutely amazing and stunning as it is. Its not like you think, "Wow, this is a ugly/lame city" - it is the opposite.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:48 AM

I think your right on this, Tokyo just seems huge when your there in person you don’t get the same effect in a photo.
I remember the first time I came here, I got off the flight (Coming from Chicago) and got onto the bus and I was in awe at how huge the metro is, I almost fell off my seat it made Chicago look really small to me.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:35 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1077 View Post
I think your right on this, Tokyo just seems huge when your there in person you don’t get the same effect in a photo.
I remember the first time I came here, I got off the flight (Coming from Chicago) and got onto the bus and I was in awe at how huge the metro is, I almost fell off my seat it made Chicago look really small to me.
Yeah that is because Tokyo gains in radical, not go upwards like New York or Hong Kong, according to Emporis. I agree, Tokyo is ubelieveable huge in the area size, when I go back to Portland from Tokyo, I feel like "Is that Portland? Too small... Tokyo is like more than 20 times Portland!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations