HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 12:54 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Sunday, September 23rd

Concrete has indeed been poured.

"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 1:52 AM

Cool! I had assumed that they would construct underground passageways from the hotel to Nokia for the performers/crews and that pic pretty much confirms it. How much you wanna bet that they have a new passageway to Staples as well?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:00 PM
Ascension

That would be pretty cool if they were connected with tunnels. Though I don't know if that's the plan.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 5:39 PM

I like that building. It's very sleek and futuristic looking and the restaurant is a nice touch. I think I might be starting to like L.A.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 1:20 AM
LA: America's Second City

How is it possible that we still don't have an official height for this tower?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:36 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Someone has an official height, just not any of us. You might be able to get it out of Gensler.

Here's a shot from earlier today, around 4ish. Definitely the wrong time of day for this angle, but that's the only time I could get to the site. And with workers buzzing around the site, I couldn't sneak into my usual vantage point. Nevertheless, you can see formwork starting to rise in the foundation. Should get interesting from here on out...

"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:31 PM

This thing seems like it's taking forever to really "start". Or maybe it's just the lack of coverage. Of course...maybe there is a lack of coverage BECAUSE it's taking forever to start. So who knows?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:37 PM
BANNED

Hey look, and update, i had almost forgotten about this project.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:06 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

It did take a while to start, but they did say it was part of the final phase, so a mid-2007 start shouldn't have come as a surprise. And now we're in the foundation phase, which always takes a long time. As for the lack of updates, this part of the construction moves too slow from a visual standpoint for weekly updates. After all, a watched pot never boils...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
It did take a while to start, but they did say it was part of the final phase, so a mid-2007 start shouldn't have come as a surprise. And now we're in the foundation phase, which always takes a long time. As for the lack of updates, this part of the construction moves too slow from a visual standpoint for weekly updates. After all, a watched pot never boils...
I beg to differ about the watched pot. Go backpacking, the only entertainment while cooking is boiling water
haha

This is going to be a cool tower, except for all the laker sign on it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:56 PM
Editor

Nice looking project. I can't wait to see this one when it's done.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:31 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
This thing seems like it's taking forever to really "start". Or maybe it's just the lack of coverage. Of course...maybe there is a lack of coverage BECAUSE it's taking forever to start. So who knows?
It's taking forever because foundation work is a long and slow process. Once that finishes, this tower will rise fairly quickly. Remember, this is a broad tower so it needs a large foundation.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 7:24 PM
Ascension

More rebar..should move a bit faster now:

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
It's taking forever because foundation work is a long and slow process. Once that finishes, this tower will rise fairly quickly. Remember, this is a broad tower so it needs a large foundation.
Same standard with Concerto. Only last week did I see the 2nd story of the parking garage start after 3 months of foundation work. I'm not surprised by the Ritz's progress.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

November 3, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Images from the mat pour. It started at 1 am and will continue until noon.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:30 PM

Wow, that's a lot of cement! I wish the webcam was working. Thanks for the photos.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:25 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ Someone has an official height, just not any of us. You might be able to get it out of Gensler.

Here's a shot from earlier today, around 4ish. Definitely the wrong time of day for this angle, but that's the only time I could get to the site. And with workers buzzing around the site, I couldn't sneak into my usual vantage point. Nevertheless, you can see formwork starting to rise in the foundation. Should get interesting from here on out...

On the far side of the picture it looks like there are doors and catwalks along the construction area. Are those trailers?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 8:53 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I believe those are doors to the underground levels of the Nokia Theater (the completed buidling right above the doors). From what I have read, the entire complex - including Staples Center, which was built in 1999 - will have a pretty thorough underground network.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 2:09 AM
Good Grief

The Convention Business Comeback

Tapping Momentum From L.A. Live and a 1,001-Room Hotel, Downtown Is Finally Booking Major Conferences
by Evan George

Photo Credit: downtownnews.com

One hazy morning in June, as political and business leaders stood under an unlikely outdoor chandelier at the groundbreaking of the Convention Center hotel, they were doing more than just posing for a photo op. They were there to build buzz and hopefully kick start the city's moribund convention industry.

Five months later, tourism officials say the plan is working, thanks in large part to the construction of the $900 million hotel, the centerpiece of Anschutz Entertainment Group's $2.5 billion L.A. Live project (the first phase, the Nokia Theatre, opened in October). Since the groundbreaking ceremony alone, officials have landed as many new conferences as were signed in a one-year period starting in July 2004. More than 40 were booked this past year.

"Once the shovel went into the ground, that was when everything started to go, 'Yippee ka-yay,' and everyone started to get excited," said Michael Krause, senior vice president of sales for L.A. Inc., the city's convention and visitors bureau. "There's such a draw now to come Downtown."

That draw is largely the 54-story, 1,001-room hotel under construction in the middle of L.A. Live. Envisioned as the linchpin of the flashy new district, which will also include theaters, restaurants, a movieplex and more, the glass-clad complex will house an 878-room JW Marriott and a 123-room Ritz-Carlton topped with 224 luxury condominiums.

What matters most to the convention business, industry observers say, is having a major source of hotel beds finally open a stone's throw from the Convention Center. In the past, many convention goers had to take shuttles from other hotels Downtown or across the city.

"That certainly gives L.A. an advantage, there's no question about that," said Thomas Mobley with the International Association of Assembly Managers, an organization that represents convention centers.

L.A. Inc. officials like to divide Los Angeles convention business into two epochs: pre- and post-L.A. Live. The difference between the two, they say, is remarkable.

In fiscal year 2004-2005, L.A. Inc. booked just 12 conventions, paling in comparison to West Coast cities such as San Diego and Anaheim, which each have thousands of hotel rooms within walking distance of their convention facilities.

One year later, after breaking ground on the Nokia Theatre, the number of conventions jumped to 22. In the last year, 41 conventions signed contracts to come to Downtown L.A., for events as far off as 2016. Since July, 12 more convention deals have been inked.

With the hotel scheduled to be completed in 2010, L.A. Inc. officials said they expect bookings to continue to grow, and even break the record of 22 major conventions held in a single year.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 5:52 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

The Beckhams Score a Stunning Space

By Sean Borg
December 3, 2007

Looks like British import David Beckham has plans to stay in sunny California. The L.A. Galaxy star has plunked down $8 million for a luxurious loft space in the Ritz-Carlton Residences at L.A. Live, a testament to “ultramodern style living” that is currently being built downtown. Sounds just like Posh’s taste!

Their opulent 3000-square-foot pad on the 18th floor of the tower overlooks the adjacent Staples Center and the new Nokia Center, as well as the entire L.A. skyline. David, Victoria and their three boys will share the building (which features 224 extravagant condos and 52 stories of hotel rooms) with big names, including Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and basketball star Kobe Bryant. For a cost of $20,000 per month, high-rise dwellers will have access to five-star amenities and services.

This is the Beckhams second West Coast home. They already own a $9 million spread in Beverly Hills that Victoria selected before the family moved to the United States in July.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: PageSix.com

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive