HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I am still not understanding why those keep suggesting Dallas is some how unique in this. Using only areas for Dallas that is served while measuring all the other cities by including those not served. I don't know Houston or SA's transit all that well, but I am sure there is plenty of parts of Houston and SA not served by their transit agency. In the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos metro area Capitol Metro only serves Austin. Not Round Rock, not San Marcos, not Pflugerville, not Ceder Park, not Bastrop, not Kyle and Buda, or Westlake, or Tyler. Just Austin, Jonestown, Manor and Leander.

By your math of only doing city limits of the towns served, that would be:

Austin: 790.000
Leander: 7.600
Manor: 5.500
Jonestown: 1.700

For 804.800 in a metro area of 1,7 million as 47%

So for simplicity sake we will say half. That would put Austin at 5,22% and back above your 3%.

No one is suggesting Dallas is "unique" in anyway, but that the methodology to calculate ridership is flawed. Including people who have no access to public transportation is nonsensical. Doing the math of Austin the way you did now makes much more sense than the number posted. This isn't a Dallas vs Austin thing so get over yourself, Austin obviously has better public transit usage than Dallas despite the millions of dollars invested the Dallas system

Sure the numbers calculated as is provide an interesting but simple number for evening news broadcasts, but it is a useless number

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral