HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:15 AM

SF is at 35 after a shooting in the mission district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Inner cities obviously don't sell drugs to themselves they go to the suburbs, it's white middle-class Bettys buying that shit.
They do both. All kinds of people buy drugs, from the desperately poor to middle-class Bettys, to the richest of the rich. The poor people are usually closer though.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:45 AM

I've been screwing up on my London Ontario stats. I thought they were at 3 YTD but it is only 2 as one was an attack but only one person was killed and the other had major wounds but not life threatening but I thought both had been killed.

Therefore as of today London Metro of 515,000 has had only 2 murders both in the city itelf {400k}.......pretty damn good.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 1:44 AM

I also posted this in the Canada section, but I'll post it here as well. I tried to compile a list of Canada's "Murder Capitals" from 1981 to present for CMAs of 500,000 or more, I'm not sure if its entirely accurate so maybe someone out there has more information.

1981: Montreal
1982: Ottawa
1983: Ottawa
1984: Montreal
1985: Ottawa
1986: Winnipeg
1987: Winnipeg
1988: Ottawa
1989: Montreal
1990: Edmonton
1991: Vancouver
1992: Calgary
1993: Vancouver
1994: Ottawa
1995: Ottawa
1996: Winnipeg
1997: Winnipeg
1998: Winnipeg
1999: Ottawa
2000: Winnipeg
2001: Winnipeg
2002: Winnipeg
2003: Winnipeg
2004: Winnipeg
2005: Edmonton
2006: Winnipeg
2007: Winnipeg
2008: Winnipeg
2009: Winnipeg
2010: Winnipeg
2011: Winnipeg
2012: Winnipeg
2013: Winnipeg
2014: Winnipeg
2015: Edmonton
2016: Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:05 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Prince George's County Maryland has had a rough July so far:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...433904223.html

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 11:35 PM
Posh

I covered murders during Chicago's deadliest year in decades – here's what I saw
Quote:
In 2016, Chicago experienced 780 murders , making it the deadliest year in the city in nearly two decades.

The first homicide of the year came at 2:20 a.m. on New Year’s Day in the South Side Grand Boulevard neighborhood. 24-year-old DeAndre Holiday found himself on the wrong side of an argument half a mile from the edge of Washington Park when a man pulled out a handgun and shot him in the chest.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:13 PM

Los Angeles City as of July 1st

2017 - 139
2016 - 136
2015 - 130

Chicago had a bad weekend... 11 dead, 56 shot

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...717-story.html

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:45 PM

SF is at 37 now. An elderly photographer was killed in robbery/shooting on Twin Peaks this morning, and another man was killed in a shooting in the Bayview district.

SF murders as of July 17th, going back a decade:

2017 - 37
2016 - 29
2015 - 28
2014 - 20
2013 - 25
2012 - 41
2011 - 30
2010 - 27
2009 - 28
2008 - 64
2007 - 55-60, most likely (don't know for sure, but there were 68 as of Aug 9th)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:09 AM

I can't say i'm an expert on gangs but i know enough to know that Detroit is more of a distribution hub in the opiate game than a center of import activity. Detroit has been known since the days of Capone as a "insiders only town" in the sense that neighborhood clicks tend to be the main players not franchises of major gangs from other major cities that tend to be the ones bringing in large amounts from overseas and have their own networks across the nation.

But at the same time a lot of Detroiter's have roots in the south dating back to the great migration i would venture to guess that these are the some of the same ties that brought a flood of cheep pills into the metro area just the pipeline is now flowing in reverse because the nature of the game has switched from being mainly pill orientated to heroin. Not that it matters to those affected by addiction or related crime but if a difference can be pointed out its that you could possibly liken the activity to two small businesses interacting as opposed to Walmart coming into town.

It's not like one is better than the other but from i seem to understand about the nature of the drug game in Detroit generally with the exception of club drugs from Canada the source of the problem in KY & WV isn't Detroit or Chicago. But at least from the way i see it with the links in these cities to cartels and gangs that run things along the southern border who then can move what they want all across the Great Lakes & Midwest.

It seems like these connections do run deep though Dixie Highway here in Detroit got its name from the moonshiners bringing there wares up this road into the city, not that Detroit didn't also bring in a ton of booze from Canada. I think this analogy is a decent one to use because we can look back then and see events in full complicated and multifaceted just as they are today.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 6:29 PM

38 for SF, after a stabbing in Hayes Valley.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
I can't say i'm an expert on gangs but i know enough to know that Detroit is more of a distribution hub in the opiate game than a center of import activity. Detroit has been known since the days of Capone as a "insiders only town" in the sense that neighborhood clicks tend to be the main players not franchises of major gangs from other major cities that tend to be the ones bringing in large amounts from overseas and have their own networks across the nation.

But at the same time a lot of Detroiter's have roots in the south dating back to the great migration i would venture to guess that these are the some of the same ties that brought a flood of cheep pills into the metro area just the pipeline is now flowing in reverse because the nature of the game has switched from being mainly pill orientated to heroin. Not that it matters to those affected by addiction or related crime but if a difference can be pointed out its that you could possibly liken the activity to two small businesses interacting as opposed to Walmart coming into town.

It's not like one is better than the other but from i seem to understand about the nature of the drug game in Detroit generally with the exception of club drugs from Canada the source of the problem in KY & WV isn't Detroit or Chicago. But at least from the way i see it with the links in these cities to cartels and gangs that run things along the southern border who then can move what they want all across the Great Lakes & Midwest.

It seems like these connections do run deep though Dixie Highway here in Detroit got its name from the moonshiners bringing there wares up this road into the city, not that Detroit didn't also bring in a ton of booze from Canada. I think this analogy is a decent one to use because we can look back then and see events in full complicated and multifaceted just as they are today.
I know Detroit is causing a lot of problems in Appalachian areas but especially in West Virginia and Kentucky. In 2013 people from Detroit had been tied to 4 of the 5 murders in Huntington West Virginia. Detroit recently has been supplying a lot of communities by taking over the drug market in different profitable areas and cities.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/0...a-communities/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:40 AM

Last edited by lextown; Jul 23, 2017 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:00 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextown View Post
You mean SC.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
You mean SC.
Yeah that's what I meant. They are on pace for back to back record years.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:54 AM
Posh

I can't tell you how many homicides I've read about go exactly like this: Some guy is sitting in his car (parked on the street I presume) at some odd hour in the middle of the night, when somebody walks up or drives up to him and starts shooting. You would almost think the guy is sitting there waiting for someone to stop by and shoot him.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-...-friday-night/
Quote:
Another man was fatally shot at 2:06 a.m. Sunday in the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the West Side. The 35-year-old was sitting in a parked vehicle in the 3600 block of West Chicago when another male walked up and fired shots, according to Chicago Police. The victim suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the head and body and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:27 PM

Damn, according to Hey Jackass, Chicago has had 10 more murders this year than last year at this point. 396 to 386

http://heyjackass.com/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:14 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Toronto has been pretty quiet this year compared to last year, but things flared up this past weekend when 11 people were shot in 4 separate incidents (all in Scarborough). Three of those shootings were fatal, bringing this year's homicide count to 26. Last year at this time there were 44.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextown View Post
I know Detroit is causing a lot of problems in Appalachian areas but especially in West Virginia and Kentucky. In 2013 people from Detroit had been tied to 4 of the 5 murders in Huntington West Virginia. Detroit recently has been supplying a lot of communities by taking over the drug market in different profitable areas and cities.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/0...a-communities/

This is happening all over the country right now the Detroit - Appalachia connection is just one small piece I would think that there are gangs in Cleveland or Pittsburgh eyeing to move in if the police have really shut this ring down to supply what people they want. The addiction issue is why this will never end first it was pills from Florida, now dope from Detroit tmrw maybe Fentanyl from Philly?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:03 PM
Meh

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 7:21 PM

SF is at 39 murders, after a shooting in the Tenderloin. There were 29 at this time last year.

Oakland is at 37, after a shooting in east Oakland. There were 38 at this time last year.

San Jose is at 16, after a stabbing just south of downtown. There were 30 at this time last year.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 2:41 AM

Portland has 11 murders after an arson at an apartment in the city's northeast killed two people:

Victims identified in fatal NE Portland apartment fire

Vancouver appears to have 12 after a suspicious death in April was classified as a murder:

Suspicious death at wedding now Vancouver's 10th homicide

And a double-murder at an apartment in the downtown west end involving an elderly perpetrator:

73-year-old man charged in double homicide in Vancouver apartment building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions