HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Honestly though, in NB, I’d rather see Highway 7 twinned and grade-separated in its entirety.
There's no way to justify spending that money on route 7 though.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 4:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

What about bridging the gap between Welsford and Saint John then ? I mean, one might as well.

As for the question about police, it was because, when I was driving towards NS, before I crossed from QC to NB, I saw an Edmundston police cruiser coming out of the U-turn spot.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:38 PM

As a Westfield resident, I would love to see Route 7 twinned between the existing twinned sections at Welsford and the southernmost portion.

I also agree that there isn't enough traffic to justify twinning beyond that. There's already the twinned section at Petersville Hill, and multiple passing lanes that help to break up traffic snakes when they do occur.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
As a Westfield resident, I would love to see Route 7 twinned between the existing twinned sections at Welsford and the southernmost portion.
That's about 18km. Anyone know what the traffic numbers for that stretch are?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:55 AM

What’s the progress on the twinning of route 11? When I was home back in July they were progressing well and have they started on the two or so bridges?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:38 PM

The highway 11 progress is going well, they started work on the overpasses, but nothing has moved regarding the bridges, that will take a very long time...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
The highway 11 progress is going well, they started work on the overpasses, but nothing has moved regarding the bridges, that will take a very long time...
I think estimated completion is around 2021 or so? I'm not sure how long it takes to build a bridge but I'm assuming they would have to start on these by next year which would give a 3 year timeline.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:42 PM
ハルウララ

Drove the 85 two weeks ago and there is continued progress creating the new corridor for the twinned section. Promising development.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Drove the 85 two weeks ago and there is continued progress creating the new corridor for the twinned section. Promising development.
Can you imagine A85 and NS 104 twinning coming to fruition “around the same time”? That’ll be pretty impressive.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

gYHZ posted this in the Canada section the other day. I think this belongs here too.

Quote:
The Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal presented an Open House last week on the twinning of TCH 104 between Sutherlands River and Antigonish. Land clearing will start in 2019….construction in 2020 and completion by 2024.

It will be a Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Maintain PPP Project but will Not be tolled. To make the deal sweeter….they are also including in the maintenance contract the existing twinned 13 km section from New Glasgow to Sutherlands River and the recently completed 15 km Antigonish Bypass.

20181114070449734_0001 by ghYHZ, on Flickr

20181114070508671_0001 by ghYHZ, on Flickr

Most attending appeared to be more interested in the alignment of the middle 10 km section of completely new highway that will by-pass Marshy Hope. Map link here:

https://goo.gl/maps/6Ht7PZMbGBM2

20181110_161617 by ghYHZ, on Flickr

20181110_161622 by ghYHZ, on Flickr

xx20181110_161641 by ghYHZ, on Flickr

xx20181110_161642 by ghYHZ, on Flickr

The existing TCH104 through Marshy Hope is quite scenic especially in the fall…..running through a narrow gorge section with a railway on one side and river on the other. It will become Trunk 4 in the future.

IMG_20151016_164512 - Copy by ghYHZ, on Flickr

77-10Scan10102 by ghYHZ, on Flickr
I'm going to miss that part of the highway through that narrow ravine at Marshy Hope once it is bypassed. It's very scenic and the highlight of the drive to Antigonish or Cape Breton. I understand why this is necessary however.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I mean, in 6 years, when you head that way again, you can go on the new freeway on the way there, and use the old section on the way back.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...151987&page=60 #1186
Speaking of improvement around Halifax, I have a question: Is there long-term plan to 6-lane the entirety of Highway 102? The traffic on that highway is heavy enough that sometimes even 110 kph on the left lane is asking for a bit much.

Ps: Since adding the extra 2 lanes requires filling in the median, when done, no one has to worry about speed trap in the middle of the highway anymore.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It probably should be six-laned (in both directions) as far as Lantz and Enfield anyway. I think the commuter traffic justifies this. There's quite a series of bedroom communities developing along this corridor.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That’s like half of the length of 102...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm going to miss that part of the highway through that narrow ravine at Marshy Hope once it is bypassed. It's very scenic and the highlight of the drive to Antigonish or Cape Breton. I understand why this is necessary however.
No need to miss it at all! You’ll be able to get off at the new Barney’s River Exit #29….then back on the TCH at the James River Speedway.....and it will be a much more pleasant drive with most traffic on the new highway then.

Driving between New Glasgow and Antigonish now and especially on summer weekends I usually take old # 4 instead of the 104. I do have to get back on 104 for the short section through Marshy Hope…..but that will all hook up eventually with the new TCH alignment bypassing Marshy Hope and Trunk 4 will once again be continuous between New Glasgow and Antigonish.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I enjoy taking the old roads too.

Earlier this fall, I drove to Halifax from Moncton entirely on country roads (except for the segment of TCH over the Tantramar Marsh).

The route was via Memramcook, Dorchester and Sackville on the 106, then Amherst to Tatamagouche along the north shore via the Sunrise Trail, then over the Cobequid Mountains to Truro and then via old Route 2 to Halifax.

Very pleasant and scenic, but sloooow. If I had stayed on the TCH, I would have been in Halifax in 2 hr 45 min. Taking the old roads stretched the trip out to five hours.

If you're not in a hurry however, this doesn't really matter, and you get a chance to experience what travel used to be like in the old days, passing though pleasant farmland and all the little towns and villages along the way.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

It probably should be six-laned (in both directions) as far as Lantz and Enfield anyway. I think the commuter traffic justifies this. There's quite a series of bedroom communities developing along this corridor.
Exactly why it's a bad idea. No need to encourage more sprawl.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:32 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If you’re concerned, we can make the innermost lane (aka the 3rd lane in each direction) an HOV (high-occupancy-vehicle) lane. Imagine the first of its kind in NS!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 12:19 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I don't think the 102 needs widening at all. Just like 10 years ago when the province of New Brunswick was looking at widening Route 1 through the Kennebecasis Valley; the issue wasn't the volume the road could handle, but rather the ramps and exits. Widening seems like a solution but it's very expensive compared to targeted improvements in the areas that actually contribute to the problem.

I travelled to Halifax at least once a week for three years and it always struck me how few interchanges there are on the 102.

Do something at the 101 - 102 interchange, maybe add an exit or two between Bedford and the 103, extend Aerotech Dr to Wellington or somewhere along Rte 2, and especially do something to fix the exit into Fall River on the 118 and I guarantee you'd see a marked improvement in traffic flow.

...Or, you know, build a light rail line from Elmsdale onward.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I don't think the 102 needs widening at all. Just like 10 years ago when the province of New Brunswick was looking at widening Route 1 through the Kennebecasis Valley; the issue wasn't the volume the road could handle, but rather the ramps and exits. Widening seems like a solution but it's very expensive compared to targeted improvements in the areas that actually contribute to the problem.

I travelled to Halifax at least once a week for three years and it always struck me how few interchanges there are on the 102.

Do something at the 101 - 102 interchange, maybe add an exit or two between Bedford and the 103, extend Aerotech Dr to Wellington or somewhere along Rte 2, and especially do something to fix the exit into Fall River on the 118 and I guarantee you'd see a marked improvement in traffic flow.

...Or, you know, build a light rail line from Elmsdale onward.
I agree that the 102 doesn't need widening all the way to the airport. That said though it does need quite a bit of work some of which is underway.

1) The 102/103 Interchange replacement is under construction and it will see the highway widened and it will combine two exits into one access point from the main traffic flow inbound. I think a full C/E system needs to be installed between Joe Howe and Lacewood but this is a good first step.

2) No specific details have been released but there are plans for an extension of Aerotech Drive to Trunk 2 in the Wellington area. The R.O.W. shows it running south of Abilene Avenue. Presumably this would end up looking a lot like Margeson Drive (Middle Sackville).

3) Lantz (East Hants) will be getting its own interchange. Exit 8A will be approximately 1km north of Exit 8 (Elmsdale) and the new connector road will hook into Trunk 2 at the East Hants Sportsplex.

In addition to the projects underway there are a few priorities I think need to be done. "Nottingham Hill" climbing up from Exit 4 A/B inbound towards Hammonds Plains Road needs a third lane for slow moving vehicles. The on ramp from Highway 101 should be extended to the top of the hill or to HPR interchange. The auxillery lanes should be connected between Kearney Lake and Lacewood. The highway needs to have overhead lights from Kearney Lake to Bayers Road and in the area around Exit 4 A/B (Highway 101). The on-ramp inbound at the Airport should be extended to Highway 118. Out in Truro there should be connecting auxillery lanes northbound from Millbrook-Truro Heights - Truro - Onslow. Southbound it should be a C/E system starting at Onslow and ending at the Millbrook overpass. And the Highway 104 interchange needs to be redesigned to avoid making traffic slow down to 50km/h on freeway to freeway ramps.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces