HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Aquilini Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 8:03 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Your numbers are off, although it looks tiny, it is actually 9900sqft at ground level, could easily be over 10000sqft once it clears the concourse level. While not large by office tower standards it will be quite a sizable addition even with only 23 floors.

Yeah, my numbers are off. I went through it again yesterday and it has EIGHT parking spots, not 10. My brain cannot accept that space is 9900sq feet at ground level.

And for those talking about Wal-Mart in downtown Vancouver, do you not live in Vancouver? It ain't gonna happen (and I'm glad).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 8:27 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I live in Vancouver, and while I would not frequent a Wal-mart, downtown or otherwise, I can certainly understand why it would be successful. I would acutally be surprised if Vancouver doesn't end up with a Wal-mart at somepoint down the road.

Anyways back to the building, the floor size must increase slighty after it passes the concourse level as it's listed at just over 232,000sqft on the application. There is also talk of another office tower in the parkade on the other side between the viaducts.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I live in Vancouver, and while I would not frequent a Wal-mart, downtown or otherwise, I can certainly understand why it would be successful. I would acutally be surprised if Vancouver doesn't end up with a Wal-mart at somepoint down the road.

Anyways back to the building, the floor size must increase slighty after it passes the concourse level as it's listed at just over 232,000sqft on the application. There is also talk of another office tower in the parkade on the other side between the viaducts.
I was looking at that awhile back and trying to figure out why they wouldn't stick a tower there aswell.

Any word on what it could be; office, residential, mixed use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Yeah, my numbers are off. I went through it again yesterday and it has EIGHT parking spots, not 10. My brain cannot accept that space is 9900sq feet at ground level.

And for those talking about Wal-Mart in downtown Vancouver, do you not live in Vancouver? It ain't gonna happen (and I'm glad).
9900 square feet is only 99 feet by 100 feet. doesn't take much to fill that up.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 4:56 AM

Deleted.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 2:28 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Pacific Metropolis View's on this (I love their articles):

Quote:
Trevor Linden's New Office
In answer to the regular cries for more downtown Vancouver office space (the latest vacancy rate came in at a record 3.5%), a new 22-storey office tower is soon to be built next to GM Place.

Somehow, they're going to shoe-horn this thing into the northwest corner near the stadium, at 800 Arthur Griffiths Way, across from the new Costco.

Frankly, we were surprised that they managed to squeeze the four Spectrum buildings and the Costco in there to begin with - this one's going to make things even cosier amongst the viaducts.

Aside from the convenient location (for sports fans, anyway), the building is also going to be energy efficient and carbon neutral, partly by sharing heat waste with the neighbouring GM Place.

The building's developers have also said that they intend to use ice shavings from the rink to cool the tower.

The building is scheduled for completion in late 2010, according to this article from the Sun.

Although it may be a quaint notion in this day and age, when the trend is to sell naming rights for buildings to marketers, we thought it would be interesting to consider naming the new structure after a former Vancouver Canucks player.

While the Smyl, Snepts, or Odjick Tower would probably sound a little strange, the Brodeur or Linden Tower might just have a little upscale cachet.

And if you'll pardon the digression - about 15 years later, we're still laughing about the Sportspage broadcast, in which they referred to Gino Odjick as a 'Chippendale gone berserk', after a particularly fight-filled night for the chap.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 in New Construction | Permalink | Comments (0)
Source: http://www.pacificmetropolis.com/200...-lindens-.html

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 2:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
New office tower to adjoin GM Place
Businesses hope location will help lure the best employees with Canucks perks
Bruce Constantineau

Sun

Saturday, August, 18, 2007

GM Place will soon be the site of a 22-storey office tower

GM Place owners plan to build a 22-storey office tower that will connect to the arena's northwest corner, Vancouver Arena Limited Partnership announced Friday.

A formal application has been submitted to the City of Vancouver for permission to build a 312,000-square-foot building designed by architect Peter Busby.

Busby said the building will become a signature Vancouver office tower because of its design and plans to make it among the most energy-efficient commercial buildings in North America.

Sustainable features will include using "energy synergies" between GM Place and the connecting office tower. Heating and cooling systems between the two buildings will work together so waste heat from one building will be used to heat the other.

Part of GM Place's underground parking, which is used mostly at night, will be used for the new office tower.

Vancouver Canucks chief executive officer Chris Zimmerman, who was uncertain about the project's cost and potential opening date, said the new building will enhance the fan experience by providing new amenities like restaurants and retail shops.

He noted office tower tenants will be able to walk from their lobby straight onto the concourse level of GM Place for hockey games or concerts.

"We always want to have more concourse space because it gives us the opportunity to create more food and beverage options," Zimmerman said in an interview. "It will allow for better flow throughout the arena."

He expects the new tower will attract a lot of potential new tenants who will enjoy the unique opportunity to be directly linked with an NHL venue.

"In a highly competitive job market, I think it gives the primary tenants some wonderful recruiting tools," Zimmerman said. "We'll be able to provide some unique benefits around utilization of the building, the ice surface and probably some inside access to certain team events. It will be a great way for companies to differentiate themselves."

He said the current high demand for Vancouver office space makes it an ideal time to build the new tower. The downtown Vancouver office space vacancy rate is currently at an all-time low of 3.5 per cent, according to CB Richard Ellis Ltd.

© The Vancouver Sun 2007
Source: http://www.lestwarog.com/newsArticle-3599.html

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 3:09 AM

Quote:
The building's developers have also said that they intend to use ice shavings from the rink to cool the tower.
Ice shavings?!?! Has some eco hippie been hogging the bong for too long?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 6:39 AM

it'll work. you know how much thermal energy it takes to warm up a pile of the stuff? ice shavings could easily keep the building cool.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 3:35 AM

GM Place tower could be Canucks Central

Ben Kuzma
Province

Sunday, October, 28, 2007

Call it the Tower of Power.

When the Vancouver Arena Limited Partnership unveils its 22-storey office structure in the fall of 2010, the state-of-the-art building connected to GM Place will be hailed for its environmentally friendly design and function.

For Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, it will also provide another revenue stream. Aside from addressing a downtown need for leased office space -- the vacancy rate is just 3.5 per cent -- there's an opportunity for the Vancouver Canucks to better service their fans.

Not only will the tower connect to the concourse level of GM Place to provide more retail, food and beverage options, there's potential for much more.

Earlier this month, Canucks CEO Chris Zimmerman visited Flames Central in downtown Calgary and was impressed.

The renovated 86-year-old theatre on the Stephen Ave. Mall boasts casual and upscale dining and a sports club on three levels that seats 1,000. There are 150 high-definition TVs and a 30-by-20-foot projection screen.

There are separate booths and even private rooms with bars and, of course, Flames merchandise to purchase.

Imagine something similar in the Tower of Power. It would be like being at the game and provide another option for those who can't afford tickets gobbled up by the corporate community.

That was part of the Calgary concept.

"You feel like you're in an arena and it's branded throughout," Zimmerman says of Flames Central. "I do like the concept and it's one we will look at.

"We're in the development stage now with retail, food and beverage options."

For tower tenants, there will be the attractive option of having exclusive access to GM Place and its events.

"The most common business challenge that virtually every business in B.C. has right now is the recruitment of and the retention of employees," says Zimmerman. "In a highly competitive market, you will go into our building that provides one of the best work spaces and is environmentally conscious.

"It will have all the bells and whistles and the city needs it. There are plenty of new condos and residential housing, but nobody is actually serving the business market. It will continue to thrive, but it needs more office space."

Ground-breaking for the 311,738-square-foot tower, located in the southwest corner of the property, is expected in the new year. Architect Peter Busby says the structure is a modern-day marriage of form and function.

"I'm confident this will be one of Vancouver's signature office towers, in part because of its GM Place location, but also because of its green focus," says Busby.

"We're very proud to have designed a beautiful-looking building that will also be among the most energy-efficient commercial buildings in North America."

The tower will boast exceptional energy performance and a carbon-neutral environment. That will be created by using energy synergies between the structure and GM Place.

The office tower will use part of GM Place's underground parking, which is occupied mostly during evening events. Heating and cooling systems between the two buildings will work together with waste heat from one building used to heat the other.

© The Vancouver Province 2007

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:09 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Awesome.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:29 PM

From that rendering, it'll certainly help visually connect the Concord projects east of the Plaza of Nations to the downtown core.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 1:12 AM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:18 PM

Hey guys, bit of a Happy Friday present for ya.... here are some updated pics!

And a bonus skyline rendering:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:27 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:38 PM

Wow, looks very nice. I especially like the top with those upside-down V-columns. Very Richard Rogers; looks like T5's structural system. The antennae look silly though. It seems to meet the viaduct well too. Is that a green wall to the north? The form and massing are beautiful.

All that remains is the space under the viaduct. Hopefully Busby won't butcher it like James Cheung did with Spectrum.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:13 PM

Instead of designing around the viaducts, why doesn't the city just get rid of them? They are barrier between Chinatown and False Creek and hurts the redevelopment of this area. They are a relic from the days that they wanted to build freeways through the city - Montreal recently removed a highway interchange, why can't Vancouver do the same?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:25 PM

looks nice, I like it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:30 PM

The viaducts are fine - they are only a visual barrier, not a physical one.
i.e. it's not constructed of bents like the Gardiner in TO with an arterial directly underneath it. It's actually quite unobtrusive, compared to say, the area below the Burrard Bridge or below the Cambie Bridge.
The undeveloped nature of the land below the viaducts is a function of Concord Pacific making the northeast False Creek area the last phase of development. Remember that the are below the viaducts held railway tracks and warehouses until redevelopment for Expo 86 - so there weren't many buildings there to begin with.
Without the viaducts, Pender, Hastings and Water Streets would be constantly clogged.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 8:03 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

We need to put a huge statue of Luongo on top of it.

Or, better yet, put the statue on one of the mountains or even Queen E. Park (as the observation tower). It would be just like Rio:

"Christ the Redeemer" = "Luongo the Goaltender"

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 8:28 PM

Looks good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver