HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 5:45 PM

Hey Yume-sama,

You may recall I'm in your building as well, in the 06 tier (which at 2BR / 2BA plus a flex space and also a corner unit is perfect for us). It gives us a home office that can work a guest room with access to its own bath so that works.

But having considered the larger 08 tier way back when, we had thought about the layout. As such, I had considered an improvement similar to what you've described. You've probably considered this, but the other plus of making the flex space a closet from the den is that it would also allow you to remove and cover the current doorway to the flex space from the living room.

By doing that, you could then place your TV on - on attached it to - the resulting wall space.

That in my mind is a big plus so you wouldn't have to place the TV in front of a window or in a corner. And yet you'd still have all the closet space.

As you'd basically be cutting a doorway and covering another in your unit on interior, non load-bearing walls, I can't imagine any issue with the strata except to comply with the contractor rules in the by-laws.

Anyway, I'd love to see you or someone in that tier (or the 01 tier) do that. I do think it would be a great enhancement without too much cost.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentWill View Post
I can't believe I'm taking a little flack for suggesting a 1000sq.ft. 3 bed 1.5 bath. Here's a mockup I did of what one could look like. Sorry I can't post a PDF on this forum but here's a link to my idea fleshed out and with the floor plan below: http://agentwill.com/life/designing-my-own-space/
Looks like a Yaletown warehouse conversion with a deep floorplan - and where the bedrooms don't have exterior windows. Doubt the City would allow that in a new building, due to lack of daylight to the back of the suite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
... You've probably considered this, but the other plus of making the flex space a closet from the den is that it would also allow you to remove and cover the current doorway to the flex space from the living room.

As you'd basically be cutting a doorway and covering another in your unit on interior, non load-bearing walls, I can't imagine any issue with the strata except to comply with the contractor rules in the by-laws.
You'd run into zoning bylaw problems with that suggestion. The den, if it is an "enclosed balcony", which I think it probably is, may be considered "outdoor space" (equivalent to an exterior balcony) and as such, you probably cannot have the storage space opening onto it. Mind you, the strata council wouldn't know about those requirements so you may be able to get it approved but it would be non-conforming.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 5:50 AM

Thanks for the information, Office Dweller.

I know this is off topic from this thread, but would you mind explaining these "enclosed balcony" concept a bit - why it exists, what it means?

For example, why is the square footage included in the interior sq footage if it is considered "outdoor space"?

And how functionally does that work that it is considered outdoor space yet in most cases I've seen around town the enclosed balconies are fully enclosed and have heating and/or a/c just like the rest of the unit?

It just seems like a designation created to allow developers to stay below some kind of ratio of interior / outdoor space. Yet for the owner, it doesn't seem to matter?

And does non-conforming use just apply to how the room is accessed? What if you wanted to add hardwood flooring or add lighting? That doesn't change anything structurally, yet they would still be physical changes.

I've always just been curious about that because Washington, DC, where I used to live doesn't have that type of designation. Area is either interior or exterior. There isn't a "gray" area definition like here in Vancouver.

Appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 6:42 AM

Quote:
For example, why is the square footage included in the interior sq footage if it is considered "outdoor space"?
i believe this part has to do with your mortage - the bank needs the info when reviewing you for your mortage

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 6:30 PM

The enclosed balcony zoning bylaw provisions have evolved over the years - originally in the early 90s there were few restrictions on size, etc. but they were truly "enclosed balconies".

In some of the building along Pacific Blvd you will see a raised sill to enter the enclosed balcony and you will see a drain in the middle of the tiled floor. In my condo, built in the early 90s, there is fibreglass insulation in the wall separating my enclosed balcony from the living room (i.e. treated as outdoor space) and the sliding glass door is an indoor/outddor door. Generally, there is no heating in an enclosed balcony (at least in older units - don't know if the absence of heating is a requirement).

For zoning purposes, enclosed balconies are excluded from FSR provided that they meet certain requirements set out in the zoning bylaw (not sure of all of the requirements, so you would have to check with the City on those requirements). But despite that developers and real estate agents tout them as dens, studies and additional bedrooms. The City became upset about the enclosed balconies being touted as bedrooms so over the years and have reduced the maximum size of the enclosed balconies to the extent that many are only about 5 ft wide by maybe 8 or 10 ft long (i.e. unusable as a bedroom). The current zoning bylaw also requires a split between outdoor and indoor balcony space in a building (a certain ratio averaged over the whole building I think).

The requirements for an enclosed balcony include an "impermeable" floor. That means tile - not hardwood. One developer in Coal Harbour - for the Palladio - made the mistake of installing hardwood throughout their enclosed balconies and the City discovered that post-possession and since it did not meet the exemption requirement, the City forced the developer to purchase extra density from the heritage density bank to bring those enclosed balconies into FSR.

Nowadays, condo owners and the renovation industry is becoming more attuned to the issue and you see applications to the Development Permit Board to purchase additional density to remove an enclosed balcony wall and bring it into FSR.

If you do not get the proper permits, you may be opening yourself up to a lawsuit in future. Of course, properties are usually sold "as is"- but it is a possibility. One example was in the Iliad Building on Homer when the developer (as a resale) sold a unit from which the enclosed balcony was removed. The purchaser applied to the City for a building permit to renovate the space and was refused unless they reinstalled the enclosed balcony - that scuttled the purchaser's plans to renovate (or at least required them to purchase additional density). A lawsuit ensued.

Here's an example of a recent application to purchase FSR to remove walls of an enclosed balcony.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...20DE411933.pdf

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 7:06 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not sure if this is still exactly the case but in general bacolonies enclosed or otherwise may not excced 8% of sqftage. They are not counted in FSR calculations as well. As mentioned by officedweller if you read thru the COV variance board you'll see dozens and dozens of situtations involving problems and people buying density to resolve the issue, even then it's up to the city if they want to allow it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:38 AM

Wow! Thanks for the amazingly detailed answer. I understand it much better now. It still seems a bit convoluted, but also a great source of revenue for the city (of course). I'm surprised DC (and other cities) haven't figured out a way to do the same for just that reason ; ).

Thanks again for explaining so thoroughly.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 4:06 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

A little update on this project, looks like they will have ~480 affordable housing units in the new expanded Phase 1 project including some 3 and even 4 bedroom units. There will also be a beach, not sure how good it'll be but it sounds nice. They are also adding height to the ground in sections to remove parts from the flood plain. Any another interesting idea is that they are in talks with the city of Burnaby to take heat from their incinerator located 4,5KM away to heat the buildings for this project.

First units are expected to be occupied in 2011.

I have a stack of new pdfs on this project, the latest set is over 400mbs. If someone really wants them I can burn a cd. PM me.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 7:16 AM
Vancouver Moderator

A BEACH?! NO WAY... -__-" I don't know who the hell would want to swim in the Fraser River X___X" Mitchel Island is also across the other side...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 4:40 PM
loafing in lotusland

Beaches aren't only for swimming.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:14 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Mitchell island quite a bit further west. The water sound be fine although cold, the beach on the Richmond side further west is always busy in the summer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
A BEACH?! NO WAY... -__-" I don't know who the hell would want to swim in the Fraser River X___X" Mitchel Island is also across the other side...
There is actually quite a nice beach along the Fraser underneath the skytrain bridge in Surrey. I would probably hang out there once in awhile if it wasn't for the fact that it is located in sketchy mcsketch town. It doesn't help that there is a seriously seedy bar close by.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 7:12 PM

I've spoken with enough environmental/engineering people to avoid swimming in the Fraser River...ever.

A beach is still a great idea though. There are quite a few little parks along the Fraser that have beaches that are really popular with dog owners.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 5:38 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Council approved the new expanded phase 1 tonight, it was a long session tonight and it just ended at 10:40pm. Thank goodness for laptops and wireless internet.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 11:09 PM

i don't think anyone would ever swim in the river anyway

but it would provide a nice place to hang out lie out

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 10:53 PM

Any news on this? I've heard rumours it will be put on hold, but I was optimistic that they would forge ahead with phase 1 and maybe defer the marketing phase as long as possible.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:08 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

They are going ahead with some prelimanary work on the site, but it appears they will wait for the market to turn before proceeding.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 7:54 AM

Well phase I is massive is it not? It doesn't surprise me that it's now on hold.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 5:05 PM
ON3P Skis

The magic number is 700 residential units pre-sold (or most of that plus leases signed for some of the bigger grocery/drug anchors) before shovels go in the ground.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 11:21 PM

Head of the developer recently said if market was still too soft they may commence the re-zoning application for phase two. The rezoning apps can take up to a year so this is still good news.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver