HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 12:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This makes me disproportionately happy. A Rwandan rugby team is wearing our full kit.

Rwandan rugby teams wear pink, white and green after Swilers donation

Quote:
Uniforms worn by some rugby teams in Rwanda may be familiar to Newfoundland rugby fans, thanks to the efforts of the Swilers Rugby Football Club's senior men's team.

Swilers player Innocent Ahorukomeye just returned to St. John's from delivering rugby jerseys and equipment to players in his home country of Rwanda. It was all donated by his Swilers teammates.

"I would say that it's like a gift from God," he told the St. John's Morning Show. "The way the boys they see that, it's like OK, there's somebody watching over us and somebody who can do the best to make us better."

Ahorukomeye played rugby in Rwanda before he moved to Canada. He moved to St. John's in 2015, after living in Montreal.

"I came here for a visit and I fell in love with Newfoundland," he said.

He said he happened to be walking by the Swilers practice facility on Crosbie Road in St. John's one day and was approached to be on the team.

"I said, 'Yes, sir.'"

"It's my pleasure to be able to help them," said Ahorukomeye. "I've been in the same situation."

The donation comes just in time, too — rugby in Rwanda is really catching on, Ahorukomeye said.

"Before it used to be [a] small thing. But now, we have like eight clubs, they're playing national tournaments. It's growing up, it's growing big."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...elds-1.4573937

(Bolded line: you know the city has a ways to go before being truly diverse when... lol)

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:52 PM

Documents saying Alberta, Ottawa would support Calgary’s 2026 Olympics bid were posted in error
Jeff McIntosh The Canadian Press March 18 2018

Calgary walked back a city administration report stating the provincial and federal governments would contribute money to a 2026 Olympic Games bid, saying Saturday that no formal or final confirmation had been received.

Documents posted Friday on the city's website said the Canadian government would contribute $10.5 million and the Alberta government $10 million towards a bid estimated to cost $30 million.

The city said in a statement issued Saturday those reports were posted in error.

"The version of the report that was posted online was a version that had been prepared in the hope of receiving formal funding approval ahead of next week's strategic meeting of council," the statement read. "It was mistakenly posted."

The documents posted Friday said administration recommended Calgary create a formal bid corporation and that money be released to fund it.

Calgary is exploring a potential bid for the 2026 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games. The city hosted the 1988 Winter Games.

A city project team took over the work of the Calgary Bid Exploration Committee, which concluded the cost of hosting the Games would be $4.6 billion.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi has repeatedly said a bid can't go ahead without financial support of the federal and provincial governments.

"While the city has received very positive indications from both the governments of Canada and Alberta, no formal or final funding confirmation has been received," Saturday's statement said.

"Conversations are continuing with other orders of government and administration has been working to ensure we provide council and the public with the latest information available."

City council is expected to discuss a potential Olympic bid Wednesday.

The International Olympic Committee will invite cities to bid for 2026 in October, 2018 with the deadline set for January, 2019. The winning city will be announced in September, 2019.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
... If Indy moved there, I'd love to go check 'em out on that balls to the walls track.
I think the Toronto Indy likely depends on the trackside suites and casual tourist fans who arrive by GO Train and TTC, and it's difficult to imagine them all following it out to the middle of nowhere at Mosport/CTMP, where almost all of the crowd are the RV camping types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Human View Post
I like this idea of using Downsview Airport in the same way that Edmonton and Cleveland used airports when they had their IndyCar events
Well, not that anyone had been trying, but it can't happen now since the airport won't exist much longer. I had missed the story from January that Bombardier Aerospace will be leaving Downsview and selling the entire site including the airfield. Oddly, the owner (or at least the main co-owner) of Mosport is billionaire Carlo Fidani, of Orlando Corporation, described as "Canada’s largest privately-owned industrial real estate developer and landlord", which sounds like the type of company that could be a potential buyer of the property.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:24 PM

Agree that the Indy audience consists of many if not high majority casual fans. Much of that segment wouldn't care for the drive out to Bowmanville.

It feels like Indy audience is highly casual, wanting to see the pre-eminent (or used to be) racing series in North America. While sports car fans are just that, actual fans, of motor sport.

F1 combines high numbers of both segments of fans.

Here's an idea. Move the race to TO Islands like Belle Isle in Detroit! Okay so Belle Isle doesn't have houses and a functioning airport, but we could tell Porter to shut down for a few days and use the tarmac.

Seriously though, where would the Indy move? Not right downtown. Downtown Hamilton? Still though, even though the GO goes there, it would still be a trek for the casual fan.

Indy is a shadow of its former self. The more events in TO the better, but if it went away I don't think it would be a great loss.

Still though, Mosport is always an option. Yes, it would probably attract fewer fans and less revenue, but something is better than nothing, as long as it can at least break even.

Back when F1 was actually good, I dreamed of having the GP alternate between Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and Mosport. Wish they did that in all countries. But Mosport would have needed extensive renovations and alterations to make it safe for F1 cars.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 23, 2018 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 11:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Back when F1 was actually good ...
F1 is still tremendous and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a top-5 track on their calendar.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
F1 is still tremendous and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a top-5 track on their calendar.
It's certainly still the pinnacle of motorsport. But like myself, most of my friends who follow F1 were collectively shaking our damn heads when they changed over to the golf cart engines. Some fans actually don't mind the new engines. To each their own.

Some of my greatest memories were getting off the metro onto Ile Ste Helene and hearing those fighter jets on wheels screaming in the distance during practice. Now you can have a casual conversation track side while they zoom by. For me personally, it's not cool that so many of the other series I watch like even WRC have louder engines than the alpha series F1.

The guys who did the study on the new engines warned the FIA that they would sound like crap and cautioned about losing the fan base. Well, attendance and viewership is way down as I understand it.

Then of course you have Bernie who sold out to make as many billions as he could all the while crushing the very grass roots of F1 -- that being Europe. The last French GP was in 2008! The very country where the automobile and the word grand prix come from!

And Canada skipped a year too because of his exorbitant staging fees. He took the circuit to third world countries who have no interest after the first year novelty wears off. All to make a quick buck from those countries who were willing to take losses to put themselves on the map.

Many reasons why F1 ain't what it used to be. Glad the new owners kicked Bernie to the curb. But the damage is already done and it's a long road to recovery.

Mind you, I am simplifying things here as I haven't seriously watched F1 in over 10 years. Just follow the results and watch the highlights of each race.

As soon as I saw this, the first race with the new engines, I puked my guts out. Been to 9 Canadian GPs and can never return until they bring back the ear splitting engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4Dh_EAfJI

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:16 AM

And ya, Circuit GV is a nice track. After Spa and Suzuka, it's quite fancied by many of the drivers.

I drove around it twice the past couple of years. But hairpin is closed off. Not all that thrilling when the speed limit is 20 but it was still cool to ride the curbs and pretend to come close to crashing into Champions Wall. Also cool you can climb up to the where the podium is.

And my first race was when Alesi won his first and only GP. Sporting Gilles' no. 27. You know, when the fans invaded the track before the race was even finished. I was one of them! Well after the race concluded.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

In the 60s and 70s the Canadian Grand Prix was held in Mosport more often than in Montreal.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In the 60s and 70s the Canadian Grand Prix was held in Mosport more often than in Montreal.
Ya, I've watched some old time footage from those races. Actually at the Toronto Auto Show last year they had a F1 car exhibit. Some guy from Mosport was there and we talked for like 45 minutes about the history of the track.

Both Mosport and Circuit GV are well liked by drivers. I like both circuits for different reasons.

GV is like Albert Park in Melbourne. Both are public roads in parks, which produces certain technical challenges for the cars but also gives us nice backdrops for watching the race.

Mosport is like a couple of other tracks in NA that I like. Like Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI and Road Atlanta. Got some nice sweeping turns and elevation changes surrounded by forest. The forest aspect is also what makes for nice viewing at Spa or the old Hockenheim and even watching some amateurs take on the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:23 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
It's certainly still the pinnacle of motorsport. But like myself, most of my friends who follow F1 were collectively shaking our damn heads when they changed over to the golf cart engines. Some fans actually don't mind the new engines. To each their own.
I've never been able to understand people that solely liked F1 for the loud engines and huff at the new engines (which are getting louder, anyway). To each their own, I guess.

The entire point of the sport is to push technological improvements and nobody is doing anything with those old, giant engines. Everything now is moving towards hybrid, electric, energy recovery....

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:37 PM

Well I think the number of people who solely liked it for the loud engines would be a very small minority. Majority are straight up race fans.

The engines added that extra sensory stimulation. For me that sealed the deal. I've watch every F1 year in review since the late 70s. Those cars and the turbos of the 80s don't have the high pitched sounds. But I watched those reviews with great passion.

They raced on ballsy tracks. And beautiful tracks. So many of the tracks now just don't look nice and are so so technical that the racing isn't enjoyable. Take the new Nurburgring and Hockenheim. Extremely boring tracks. Then throw in places like Bahrain, etc.

Still tonnes of people go to the track or watch on TV because F1 is F1. The very apex of motor sport. But from all the articles I've read, majority of fans are against the new engines. Plus majority of drivers. And even Bernie said he was horrified. And the new owners said they'd like to do something about that.

It's hard for F1 to thrive like it did if you're losing viewership and attendance. Ratings have plummeted. So while it's still way more popular than Indy or any series, it's quite aways off from its peak.

Of course, it's not just the sound that has turned off fans, but other factors like I mentioned before. Abandoning its roots over the years is a huge factor (more and more races outside of Europe means bad start times for the existing fan base). Plus the number of alternative entertainment options just keeps growing.

When I say F1 is no longer good, I mean that personally. It's still on the top, which would certainly warrant it being good to most people, but I feel so let down that I personally can't say it's good, for me that is. But that's how things evolve. College sports is now about the money more than the actual game. MLB and NFL is about maximizing revenue first. Maintaining and attracting the new generation of fans comes secondary.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 12:26 AM

Strange turn of events here. As I had written before the Olympics, Kaetlyn Osmond's short program was among the best in the world and if she could finally skate a decent long program she would be in good stead. She finally did at the Olympics and was rewarded with a bronze medal.

In the world championships, here, she skated a very poor (for her) short program. But as at the Olympics, she put together another great long program to come back and win the title, amazingly the first Canadian woman to win in over 40 years.

Kaetlyn Osmond skates into new role after earning worlds gold, Olympic bronze
22-year-old ends long Canadian figure skating drought
Lori Ewing · The Canadian Press March 24 2018

It was almost 1 a.m. before Kaetlyn Osmond was back at her hotel room, exhausted from a long and exhilarating Friday.

She took a few minutes to answer a couple of the hundreds of congratulatory messages she'd received before falling into bed.

Three years after a gruesome broken leg nearly ended her career, the 22-year-old from Marystown, N.L., won gold at the world figure skating championships on Friday, ending a drought that stretched back 45 years.

A day later, the remarkable accomplishment was still sinking in.

"I definitely never expected [my free skate] to lead to gold," Osmond said.

Osmond was in fourth place — and cursing her missed double Axel — after Thursday's short program. She was the first skater on the ice for the final group of Friday's free skate, and laid down an almost flawless "Black Swan" program for 223.23 total points. She then sat and watched from a small couch with coach Ravi Walia as the final five skaters, including Olympic champion Alina Zagitova, attempted and failed to top her score.

"It was absolutely crazy to be able to see that," Osmond said.

Remarkable recovery

Osmond won her first Canadian title in 2013 when she was just 17, but in the fall of 2014, she broke her leg in two places, and had to start from scratch, relearning not only her jumps and spins but the simple act of stroking on the ice. Her first tentative lap around the rink after her accident took almost half an hour, Osmond clutching Walia's arm for support.

Friday night, Osmond's only misstep came when she fell during the medal ceremony. Osmond was leading Japan's silver and bronze medallists Wakaba Higuchi and Satoko Miyahara in a lap around the ice, when she failed to see the rubber mat to the podium. She tripped over it and fell, rolling in the Canadian flag she'd seconds earlier held aloft. The Japanese medallists rushed to help her up, as Osmond, laughing, gave a mini bow.

Her gold was Canada's first in women's singles since Karen Magnussen won in 1973. Osmond said Magnussen, who turns 66 next month, emailed her congratulations both after she won world silver last year in Helsinki and bronze at the Pyeongchang Olympics.

Asked if she'd heard from Magnussen yet in Italy, Osmond laughed and said maybe. She hadn't had a chance yet to scroll through the hundreds of messages.

She hadn't yet spoken with her parents by phone, although they'd exchanged text messages.

"They were very excited. I'm sure my mom [Jackie] is still crying," Osmond said.

Osmond helped Canada to gold in the team event and then won singles bronze at the Olympics in Pyeongchang, and admitted it was a tough slog getting back on the ice at her training base in Edmonton.

"I was definitely emotionally and physically drained. That was difficult," she said. "But then I enjoyed myself a little bit and went to Toronto to work with Jeffrey [Buttle] on a new exhibition program for Stars on Ice, so that took my mind off everything a little bit more, and almost gave me another energy boost."

Added motivation

Osmond, who finished runner-up to Gabrielle Daleman at the Canadian championships in January, said her late-season strength has her extra motivated for next season.

"It definitely gives me a lot of confidence. Being able to put out two clean long programs at the end of my season was probably the most rewarding feeling for me," she said. "To be able to finally prove to myself that I can do that in competition and not just in practice gives me a lot of motivation for what else I can come up with."

The Canadian team, which held a post-competition celebration Saturday evening, leaves Italy with two medals — Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje won bronze in ice dance to cap the competition.

Olympic champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir didn't compete at the worlds and are expected to announce their retirement in the coming weeks, while two-time world pairs champs Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford, and three-time men's champion Patrick Chan said they were retiring after Pyeongchang.

The massive turnover casts a question mark on Canada's team. Osmond, though, has stepped up as a leader.

"It was definitely something I didn't expect. I never saw myself in the leader role before, and being a veteran still feels new to me," she said. "This is only my fourth worlds, and I've been all over the map at worlds, I was eighth, I was 11th, and then didn't even qualify, so I didn't know I was going to step up into a veteran role like this."

The Stars on Ice tour opens April 27 in Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:18 AM
The New Republic

Wow, she beat the Russians.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Wow, she beat the Russians.
Medvedeva wasn't there (injury) and two of the other three that I saw didn't skate very well.

Daleman was still a little shaky after her Olympic meltdown but showed enough to make me think she got over it. She was a very steady skater before the Olympic debacle so hopefully that was an aberration.

Keep an eye out for Keegan Messing who finished 8th in the men's. A good skater but he is 26 so time may be running out for him.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Jennifer Jones wins her 6th Women's Canadian curling championship and will represent Canada at the World Curling Championship this year. Good Luck on capturing your second world title, to go with your Olympic Gold Medal Team Jones/Team Canada.
And they did it! Jennifer Jones won her second Women's World Curling Championship over the weekend. They did not lose a single game during the round robin or the playoff portion of the tournament, finishing with a record of 14 - 0.

Also, happy retirement to Jill Officer who will be retiring from curling after throwing second rocks for Jennifer for the last 15 years.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
And they did it! Jennifer Jones won her second Women's World Curling Championship over the weekend. They did not lose a single game during the round robin or the playoff portion of the tournament, finishing with a record of 14 - 0.

Also, happy retirement to Jill Officer who will be retiring from curling after throwing second rocks for Jennifer for the last 15 years.
They came pretty close to blowing it, but the history book will show a well deserved W.

Ran across this retro YouTube clip, 16 year old Jennifer Jones, tiny 13 year old Kelly Scott (Mackenzie) (26:55), Don Duguid (on commentary) step daughter Jill Staub and NB's Heather Dacey (Smith). Miss that time, some big hair in them days

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:20 PM

Here's an interesting article about the Blue Jays scalping their own tickets on Stubhub:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tick...jays-1.4597286

What caught my eye is that the average markup for Opening Day tickets is over 200%! I found it surprising that there is such intense demand for an early season baseball game.

I contrast this with my experience of going a LA Lakers playoff game at the Staples Centre a few years back... I was able to buy a ticket on Ticketmaster at face value with no special effort on my part. I was stunned, because I was used to the Canadian ticket environment of people going nuts and snapping up all the seats for hot teams.

It does seem to me that Canadian spectator sports culture places more of a premium on attending games live than what you might see in the US.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:39 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Ran across this retro YouTube clip, 16 year old Jennifer Jones, tiny 13 year old Kelly Scott (Mackenzie) (26:55), Don Duguid (on commentary) step daughter Jill Staub and NB's Heather Dacey (Smith). Miss that time, some big hair in them days
Awesome.

I went to Junior High with Kelly Scott. I can remember when she qualified for the nationals in 1991, they announced it on the PA at school.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:24 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It does seem to me that Canadian spectator sports culture places more of a premium on attending games live than what you might see in the US.
May be I'm reading this wrong but is there another way to attend a game other than 'live'?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
May be I'm reading this wrong but is there another way to attend a game other than 'live'?
It seems to me that people in the US seem more inclined to watch games on TV.... following my LA example, people there were certainly aware that the Lakers were in the playoffs, but it's almost as though watching on TV is the default. There doesn't seem to be quite as much clamor for tickets to be there in person.

I wonder if the relative lack of televised sports in Canada until recently has something to do with that. I can tell you that growing up in Winnipeg, Jets games on TV were fairly rare before CBC introduced the HNIC doubleheader, and Blue Bomber home games were blacked out. Not every road game was televised either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada