HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:18 PM
Busy Beaver

Montreal Rd between St Laurent and Aviation - what's this area called?

Anyone know what the commercial area on Montreal Road between St-Laurent and the Aviation Parkway is formally called? It's past Vanier, and it's neither in Manor Park or Viscount Alexander Park. The strip mall with the Swiss Chalet has a name but I forget what it is.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Anyone know what the commercial area on Montreal Road between St-Laurent and the Aviation Parkway is formally called? It's past Vanier, and it's neither in Manor Park or Viscount Alexander Park. The strip mall with the Swiss Chalet has a name but I forget what it is.
My City of Ottawa General Use - Urban Area calls it 'Forbes'...I've never heard anybody call it that or anything else for that matter.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:57 PM
Living With My Mother

I'd call that Cummings Avenue and I'd stay away from it.

Oh yeah, I think that the strip mall used to be called Montreal Square. Back in the '70s there used to be a Loblaws there.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:23 PM

I just see it as an extension of overbrook

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 12:37 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Vanier extension? I remember when the old city of Vanier tried to annex that away from Ottawa. "We have no room to grow", they cried. Ottawa laughed them out of their building and I think gave them Cummings Island as a consolation.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:40 AM

The Ottawa Real Estate Board MLS site describes it as "Castle Heights & Area, which would make it "& Area" I noticed the other day that there is a zoning notice at the old motel on Montreal Rd just east of St Laurent that indicates that a new, one storey Shoppers Drug Mart is proposed (the Shoppers is now located about a hundred yards east in the small Farm Boy site. Seems to me like a bit of a waste of a site that would be good for something taller. Oh well, I guess you can't have too many Shoppers Drug Marts ......

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:51 AM

Historically, this area was known as Forbes as already indicated but mostly has fallen into disuse. There appears to be no popular name in common use today. To the east of the Aviation Parkway (centered on Codd's Road) was the former village of 'The Quarries' which had its own school and post office. Much of the limestone used to build early Ottawa buildings was quarried in that area, but the quarries have mostly been filled in and built over as they became a safety hazard when the area became urbanized.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:55 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I noticed the other day that there is a zoning notice at the old motel on Montreal Rd just east of St Laurent that indicates that a new, one storey Shoppers Drug Mart is proposed (the Shoppers is now located about a hundred yards east in the small Farm Boy site. Seems to me like a bit of a waste of a site that would be good for something taller. Oh well, I guess you can't have too many Shoppers Drug Marts ......
See:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...21#post4079821

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 12:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've heard of this area called Forbes Park before. There used to be a Forbes Park Community Centre in an old fire hall on St. Laurent just north of Rideau High School. I think they closed it down when the city built the St. Laurent Complex a few streets over.

I've also heard people refer to the area as "the Brittany Drive area" or "the Montfort area". Not to disparage it but this area as a whole doesn't seem to have much of a community identity. At least not at the moment.

Manor Park would be somewhat further north of here, north of the cemetery and those strip malls on the east side of St. Laurent. Castle Heights I think is more south, around the corner of Donald and St. Laurent.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion