HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 9:04 PM

Thinking more about the 1 train and Cortland Station. Where exactly is the line anyway?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Thinking more about the 1 train and Cortland Station. Where exactly is the line anyway?
Directly beneath Greenwich Street, bound by Liberty and Vesey Streets. Pretty much in the same place it's always been...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Directly beneath Greenwich Street, bound by Liberty and Vesey Streets. Pretty much in the same place it's always been...
lol. What I meant was where is it in relation in the new WTC complex.

At first I thought it's directly above here, but that can't be right.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 10:44 PM

That's exactly where it is. That whole overpass structure that visually separates the oculus from the path mezzanine is the structure that contains the 1 train.

It will also eventually connect to the upper mezzanine of the oculus level

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
So it runs between WTC 3/4 and the memorial?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So it runs between WTC 3/4 and the memorial?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 3:57 PM

Thank you, and that's great news about the location for the Cortland street entrance. I'm still PISSED that the PA spent a small fortune to have no columns under the 1 line, purely for aesthetic reasons, but placed columns in the middle of the stairways to the PATH platforms, eating up valuable space. It's beautiful and a wonderful work of engineering, but a complete fail for transit riders.

Sigh.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 3:35 PM

PA isn't the firm that designed the place. Calatrava came up with the whole thing. He originally envisioned the whole place to be a column free area and the mezzanine to be open to the sunlight, but with the memorial grounds looming overhead he had to compromise. With the rumbling of the 1 train and its passing through the complex, they used a series of super columns and trusses to suspend the subway box over the passageway, and encased them in concrete. I suspect MTA has re-ballasted the area with concrete as well. You can hardly hear the trains passing by now.

The amount of engineering compromises is the main reason the price tag is so high. Then again, when I pass around the complex knowing what lies beneath and overhead, I marvel at it. This would make a great engineering documentary if they explained it in full detail.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
The amount of engineering compromises is the main reason the price tag is so high. Then again, when I pass around the complex knowing what lies beneath and overhead, I marvel at it. This would make a great engineering documentary if they explained it in full detail.
The History Channel should do a part 2 of "Modern Marvels: World Trade Center" to discuss exactly this once 2WTC is up.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:03 AM

Enigmatism415, I think you were asking many months ago about the hallway that connects the E train WTC station with the rest of the WTC concourse. If my memory serves me, you pointed out that this hallway, with its travertine tile, actually pre-dates the first WTC complex and is the only original piece of the H&M Hudson Terminal remaining. Well I have good news! According the the Port Authority, the hallway reopens tomorrow! They've redone the walls / ceiling in clean looking white but the floors and other accessories are still there.

Source:NY Times

The news seems to believe that this hallway only dates back to the WTC concourse, can we prove them wrong?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
If my memory serves me, you pointed out that this hallway, with its travertine tile, actually pre-dates the first WTC complex and is the only original piece of the H&M Hudson Terminal remaining.
I've indeed been asking about it for years (having wrongly assumed that it had long since been demolished), but it wasn't me who claimed that the connection predated the World Trade Center (I'm not sure who made such a claim).

I can tell you that by comparing it with a video of the passageway from late 1997, only four aspects remain from the pre-9/11 version: the floor/steps/ramp, the railing, the doors, and the signage. Everything else, including the walls, ceiling, and lights are post-9/11 renovations; even the columns were stripped of their cladding and the black ones painted white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mWE...=youtu.be&t=41

Considering this, I think only the doors should have been preserved. This arrangement is actually rather inconvenient because you have to ascend the steps or (now useless) ramp only to descend again (an even greater distance than you'd have otherwise had to). The mundane floor and railing really don't justify the inconvenience of climbing over this mound just to be met with more steps than necessary. The ramp is also completely useless now. I'm all for preservation, truly, but this just doesn't make any sense at all. If they cared so much about preservation, they should have at least restored the original corridor as it was before 9/11—payphones, backlit map, and all. Encasing a door in a display frame just because a rescue worker sprayed a '9 13' two days after 9/11? Come on... That would have been a perfectly good and useful door. Remove the pane and send it to the museum downstairs if it's so important.

On a related note, I'm curious to see what becomes of the "WTC newsstand & novelties" lot, the last WTC retail space to be shuttered.

Last edited by Enigmatism415; Dec 19, 2016 at 11:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 12:28 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

E Train Entrance Opens At WTC Hub

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Encasing a door in a display frame just because a rescue worker sprayed a '9 13' two days after 9/11? Come on... That would have been a perfectly good and useful door. Remove the pane and send it to the museum downstairs if it's so important.

On a related note, I'm curious to see what becomes of the "WTC newsstand & novelties" lot, the last WTC retail space to be shuttered.
I think it's pretty obnoxious that the encased door is right in the middle of the set. They could have at least moved it to the least trafficked side...

Also, as of the last time I was at the E WTC Station (maybe 1 month ago), the WTC Newstand was still (barely) open, with honestly maybe 15 magazines on the racks. Seemed like the guy refused to sell / close no matter what. Did they finally push him out? That'd be sad, that corner is about to get a huge boost in traffic, for the first time since 9/01. If it is still open, I wonder if he'll uncover the WTC in the name, which he had blacked out years ago.

Edit: Nvm, I didn't read to the bottom of the Times article:
Quote:
Neither will WTC Newsstand & Novelties, next to the passageway, which was owned and operated by the brothers Reajul Islam and Fakrul Alam-Onar. In September 2015, Mr. Islam said business had dropped to between $100 and $200 a day, from $2,000 to $3,000 a day when the passageway was in use. The few people who stopped by, he said, limited themselves to bottled water or candy bars.

Mr. Islam said at the time that he needed the passageway to reopen “immediately” if business was to recover. More than a year elapsed. The newsstand straggled along. Then, at the end of November, the brothers surrendered their lease to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

A spokesman for the agency said the newsstand would probably be demolished.
That's sad. They held on for 15 years and finally gave in weeks before it re-opened. Kinda wish we could start a gofundme or something to get them back in their corner.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 5:43 AM

Quote:
They could have at least moved it to the least trafficked side...
That's actually a really good idea. There's one awkwardly lonely door on the far western side (flanked by two pillars) that could be swapped out for the encased one. Very few people would know the difference, and most of those who do know wouldn't care. That arrangement would be far better for moving people through.

Quote:
They held on for 15 years and finally gave in weeks before it re-opened.
I believe that was the plan all along, sadly. According to an on-site FTA employee, the MTA plans to use that space as a corridor to connect the Chambers (E) and Cortlandt (R)(W) stations. This plan was originally a part of the Fulton Center's design, but was later scrapped due to cost issues. I doubt that this new connection will be a free one, unfortunately...

Basically, they bled those poor guys dry. They could have opened this corridor along with the Fulton Center connection back in May, but they wanted to wait for them to surrender their lease and annex the space.

Fortunately for commuters, another newsstand will take its place in the other entrance under 2WTC.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
even the columns were stripped of their cladding and the black ones painted white.
To be fair, the rest of the site is clad in white so this makes the most sense.

Quote:
Considering this, I think only the doors should have been preserved. This arrangement is actually rather inconvenient because you have to ascend the steps or (now useless) ramp only to descend again (an even greater distance than you'd have otherwise had to).
That is because a ramp leads down from the A train mezzanine to the E's mezzanine which sits at platform level. This places it slightly lower than the Hub's second level. Preferably, the entire access should be one big ramp but that's preservation for you.

According to Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, they had to preserve it in this configuration, doors and all, in order to secure funding for the Oculus and its surroundings. Aesthetics weren't a requirement of the deal.

Quote:
The mundane floor and railing really don't justify the inconvenience of climbing over this mound just to be met with more steps than necessary. The ramp is also completely useless now. I'm all for preservation, truly, but this just doesn't make any sense at all.
The ramp is for ADHD. Again, the whole area could have been a ramp, but nevertheless, the preservation act. Eventually there will be elevators servicing this passageway in the oculus.

Quote:
If they cared so much about preservation, they should have at least restored the original corridor as it was before 9/11—payphones, backlit map, and all.
Payphones and backlit maps are being replaced with Wi-Fi and OLED touch displays. That's not preservation, that's a museum, and it's not efficient at all. The travertine floors and handrails? Those are timeless.

Quote:
Encasing a door in a display frame just because a rescue worker sprayed a '9 13' two days after 9/11? Come on... That would have been a perfectly good and useful door. Remove the pane and send it to the museum downstairs if it's so important.
We're talking about the same people who had no "space" for the Koenig Sphere. To add to that, a fraction of the North Tower's footprint is embedded within Platform D at the PATH station. That door remaining on display in place offers a better explanation of its origins than putting it in the museum.

Quote:
They sold this to the MTA, which has no plans to keep it.

The Dey Street Underpass, as well as Fulton Center, were open long before the hub was, and primarily focused on connecting the R to the rest of the complex. These guys were making a profit off of the fact that the temporary PATH entrance was originally adjacent to Church Street. Since the access is outside MTA's fare control and within the WTC's boundaries it is officially Port Authority property, making completion dates a totally different subject. They caught the short end of the stick unfortunately.

Though if what you're saying is true about the E's connection to the R at Cortlandt Street then it is more likely to be free rather than costly. However, considering the complexity of the underground network and MTA's confidence in the usage of the Dey Street Underpass, you may be right about the fare control.

Last edited by BStyles; Dec 21, 2016 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
That is because a ramp leads down from the A train mezzanine to the E's mezzanine which sits at platform level. This places it slightly lower than the Hub's second level. Preferably, the entire access should be one big ramp but that's preservation for you.

The ramp is for ADHD. Again, the whole area could have been a ramp, but nevertheless, the preservation act. Eventually there will be elevators servicing this passageway in the oculus.
The mall's balcony level sits well below the (E)'s platform level, so I'm not sure what you mean... It does line up with 2WTC's concourse, which is why that's where the ADA accessibility will be provided.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 9:43 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Taken on 12/23/16

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 8:35 PM
Ω

Is there a light show or something going on in the occulus?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 5:53 PM

Big update regarding WTC subway access:

http://tribecacitizen.com/2017/06/15...ubway-station/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 11:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Fritz Koenig’s “Sphere” Sculpture Returns Home to Liberty Park

Quote:
Forty-six years after it was first presented to New York City by famed artist Fritz Koenig, the sculpture “Sphere for Plaza Fountain” returned to its original home in Liberty Park at the World Trade Center site last night.

Over the next couple of weeks, in advance of the 16th anniversary of 9/11, the Sphere will be repaired and reconstructed. The iconic metallic sculpture will be a centerpiece at the St. Nicholas National Shrine (under construction).

The Sphere, at last, is home.

According to the New York Times, the late Koenig created a piece of artwork that was “once the sculptural centerpiece of the World Trade Center,” noting that the reinstallation returns “a visceral symbol of death and rebirth to an understated — and all but sanitized — landscape.”

Fritz, who had always called The Sphere his “child,” died earlier this year. He knew the sculpture would eventually return to the WTC area.

The “Sphere” stands 27 feet high and appears to have found the perfect permanent home.

Father Alexander Karloutsos, archpriest of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, welcomed the Sphere to the St. Nicholas National Shrine (under construction.)

“I was, and am, all for putting the ‘Sphere’ on Liberty Park, where it belongs,” said Father Karloutsos.
==========================
NYY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture