HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 4:36 PM

Well that's awesome. They better get going before the morons vote.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 5:01 PM

The hypocrisy here is beyond ridiculous. Such a shame to see an extremely important cause take a back seat to whatever absurd motivation this AHF guy has-

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...123-story.html

Hollywood debate is trial run for city growth fight
The neighboring AIDS Healthcare Foundation is waging a zoning fight over the Palladium Residences project. The development would contain 731 housing units, one block from a subway stop on Hollywood Boulevard.

For example- they complain about Palladium being 23 stories tall, but-...the building that houses AIDS Healthcare Foundation is 22 stories

They complain about all the traffic and additional levels of parking, but then say- Brereton said she frequently carries a laptop or large amounts of documents during her commute — making a car essential.

-Huh?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 7:09 PM

^^^ Its actually laughable, she's complaining of increased Traffic and parking being limited but yet she drives to her office everyday and her excuse for that was "well I have a laptop and lots of papers"....uuumm ive carried two backpacks worth of papers and a laptop all at once on the red line here and it wasn't a hassle. THAN she says its to tall??? but the building the aids foundation is housed in, her current employer, is currently one of the tallest in Hollywood and right next door ....

WASTE OF FUNDS ! they will lose easily if they go to court. The Hollywood target is back after that minor setback by Silversteins slime A$$. The Hollywood Gordon tower will reopen eventually once CIM gets its act together. And Hollywood is booming. Hollywood is LAs next "Downtown District" in the making. If the people there don't like it, MOVE. easy fix.

The sad thing is, When you click on the link and read the comments at the bottom, Most all of the comments are against the project sadly. And their reasons are BS!

"I cant find parking anymore"

"I sit in traffic for way to long now because of construction, enough is enough"

"The Mayor needs to stop forcing development in the city and let LA stay as it is"

"I refuse to bike and walk anywhere because Its to hot in LA most of the time, I don't like getting sweaty and dirty and I like my air conditioned car, but traffic is a mess"

"Enough is enough, all these mega developments in the city need to stop, They need to focus on housing"

"I'm tired of sitting in traffic, It takes me way to long just to take a small trip 3 blocks from my house"

(These are actual quotes people !)

I give up. They are complaining about all of these problems but they themselves are part of the problems. WTF.

This is a whole new breed of Nimby.

Last edited by caligrad; Nov 25, 2015 at 7:18 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 7:14 PM

Reading their fragile arguments is a mind bending experience. People want to maintain current zoning so they don't have to drive through construction? What the hell is wrong with people? How stupid, self-centered, and ultimately self-defeating can they be?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 7:32 PM

Yes it is completely insane and they will lose. Contact your councilmembers early and often, I've been emailing O'Farrell to voice support for everything blackcat has posted from hollywood and east hollywood.

Speaking of, would 368 ft be a new tallest in Hollywood?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 8:09 PM

^^ Not sure. Technically since West Hollywood is officially its own entity, The answer is yeah. But less than a mile or 2 away from that tower proposal, we have the 398 foot Sierra Tower currently in the West Hollywood city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Reading their fragile arguments is a mind bending experience. People want to maintain current zoning so they don't have to drive through construction? What the hell is wrong with people? How stupid, self-centered, and ultimately self-defeating can they be?
I know people hate when the government gets overly involved in every situation but there needs to be something done to end all of this unnecessary and time consuming opposition for frivolous reasons. There really isn't one solid argument against this project at all. Nothing.

This is how they sounds to me :

"its not fair that I wont be able to afford one of these condos so I'm going to whine and cry about it until I stop it with all means necessary"

Its HILARIOUS ! It truly is the LA way "Trying to keep up with the Joneses by stopping the Joneses from getting above me in the first place". There needs to be a rally in front of the Aids foundation, call some news stations to bring national spotlight on the misappropriation of funds that a current Aids organization non profit is spending thousands, soon to be millions on a ridiculous fight, money that should be spent elsewhere.

Last edited by caligrad; Nov 24, 2015 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 2:04 AM

Quotes from the article that I find insane

Quote:
Jack Humphreville, a member of the newly formed ballot coalition, described the Palladium as an "out-of-context luxury development" that will generate huge traffic congestion.
oh boo fucking hoo. It's LA we have traffic. get over it.
Quote:
"Some of the people's vision for Los Angeles and development frightens me," said Ambroz, who lives in Hollywood.
Then you have some seriously misplaced priorities
Quote:
Under the current rules, buildings in the back of the Palladium site cannot be taller than 45 feet, Ibarra said.
absolutely ridiculous
Quote:
Lawyers for AIDS Healthcare Foundation dispute the city's numbers, saying planning officials are letting the developer more than double the number of housing units allowed on the site.
so what?
Quote:
"My two-mile drive sometimes takes 25 minutes because of all the construction that's going up around Vine and Sunset," Hollywood resident Liza Brereton
Again boo fucking hoo. It's only 2 miles. Walk it or bike it.

Here's the comment I left on the article.

Holy shit! so many nimbys on here. You all need to get your heads out of your asses. If we don't build more denser housing we will never become a liveable urban city. We'll continue to be a city built for cars rather than people. Also you do realize we're facing a housing shortage right? If we don't build more housing we'll end up with rents equivalent to those in San Francisco. A dense, urban, and transit-oriented Los Angeles is the future whether you like it or not. You can either leave your car and come enjoy it with the rest of us or move to some place like the cancerous tumors of sprawl that are the OC and inland empire. I'm awaiting your hate comments

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
Yes it is completely insane and they will lose. Contact your councilmembers early and often, I've been emailing O'Farrell to voice support for everything blackcat has posted from hollywood and east hollywood.

Speaking of, would 368 ft be a new tallest in Hollywood?
I'm not sure, maybe the taller millennium Hollywood tower is taller or a crossroads of the world tower.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 3:53 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/long-delayed...pushing-dirt-0

As mentioned by someone a few days back, work is now underway at 3670 Wilshire Boulevard. Seven stories, 377 apartments, 8,500 square feet of retail. Developer is the Hankey Investment Group, earlier designs were by VTBS.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:41 PM

That's so epically awful in every way. Another generic horizontal skyscraper.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:54 PM

^that poor development choice in Koreatown brings me back to reality because last night I had a dream where Wilshire through the neighborhood was more busy and bustling than downtown. There was this pedestrian plaza with this light sculpture over head at a 6 way intersection with a subway station. The details are fading but it was a magnificent vision for one of LA's most dense and transit oriented non-downtown neighborhoods

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 5:52 PM

Another Horizontal Skyscraper indeed. Its actually a shame. Wilshire is legit at being one of our most urban streets in the city. Its a shame that these developers don't act smart and cut up these lots for development in progressions instead of slapping monolithic masses on these giant lots like 8th and grand.

IF they were smart they could have asked the city to develop this parcel in sections ( tower one here this year, tower two there in a few years and tower three when the other two are done and leased) Metropolis did this, I remember reading the new tower project in long beach is doing the same thing. Some of these developers are just in it for a quick buck with less regard to future needs.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 5:56 PM

In regards to the Hollywood Palladium towers. I'm off today and just had to read those comments this morning with my morning coffee. Those comments are so foolish that they almost seem fake and sarcastic, its unbelievable how people can be that detrimental to the progress that LA is seeing right now as a city whole( county ) whole. Hollywood needs this development and I hope whatever judge receives this case laughs it off because they cant possible be serious. You live in the second largest city in the nation. If you don't like the progress that its seeing now, as someone else stated " Easy fix, MOVE !"

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 8:46 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/watch-constr...djacent-hotels

Construction cam for new Expo Line-adjacent hotels in Downtown Santa Monica

http://oxblue.com/open/OTO/SantaMonicaCYHIS

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 9:15 PM

Koreatown is where I would actually expect our boldest and densest planning, obviously especially on Wilshire. What a shame.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 9:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post

As my mom always said, gag a maggot.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 9:34 PM

I've been saying this for years but somehow the city needs to break up these huge lots or force diverse development...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycruz View Post
In regards to the Hollywood Palladium towers. I'm off today and just had to read those comments this morning with my morning coffee. Those comments are so foolish that they almost seem fake and sarcastic, its unbelievable how people can be that detrimental to the progress that LA is seeing right now as a city whole( county ) whole. Hollywood needs this development and I hope whatever judge receives this case laughs it off because they cant possible be serious. You live in the second largest city in the nation. If you don't like the progress that its seeing now, as someone else stated " Easy fix, MOVE !"
Did you see the one where the woman said that it's not fair for people to suggest leaving cars because she's handicap and can't ride a bike or walk? Just silly to me and someone responded saying this that less cars on the road means less traffic for her.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 9:40 PM

These designs remind me of the worst aspects of Berlin, like these down the DDR-era Karl Marx Allee.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
These designs remind me of the worst aspects of Berlin, like these down the DDR-era Karl Marx Allee.
Except Karl Marx didn't expect any light rail or bikes. All he did is some fascist, all plain concrete facades for all others around while of course, he would live the older royal limestone palaces.

I see no reason in complaining here. This is just some densifying, hence gentrifying stuff. It's no billionaire stuff like they show off in NYC, but who's a billionaire? I'm asking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations