HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusio Cogno View Post
out-of-towner1: U R what?
out-of-towner1: Res G on a tree egg
Haha yup pretty much! I was thinking it looked like an egg.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 3:07 AM

I wonder if the city ditched the plans for the ability to light up the roof panels. I haven't read or heard of anything in the city updates about that.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

September construction update from the City of Moncton:

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Busines...-+sept2017.pdf

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:18 PM

With the construction "supposedly" done on July 1st, I wonder if they'll be tempted to try and grab a BIG artist for the opening before September.

There's FEQ, Bluesfest, Osheaga,HeavyMTL, IleSoniq all happening during July/August.

It's not like Centre Videotron where they had Quebecor's pocket and able to bring Metallica just by snapping their fingers (it did help that they have history with Quebec).

2018 tours are already starting to pop (Pink, Sam Smith, Shania Twain, Game of Thrones), if SMG doesnt move fast...Moncton will be stuck with Blue Rodeo as the Centre opener (but seriously im sure they already have a few names line up that will show what Moncton has been missing)

Personnally, I think they should go with Circle du Soleil.

- Usually a 360 setup (more tickets available)

- Can do multiple dates (with one concert end stage, it means only about 9k will be able to get in (minus ALL the dignitaries and their guests) I can already hear the frustration and headlines "Whats the point of a 100 millions venue if we can't get tickets...

-Finally, Cirque du Soleil has constantly been part of the "We need a new arena because we can't bring...". So it would just be normal to have as the opener.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:54 AM

The City received the news that they will not host the 2019 Brier.

Press conference this morning will announce the host city....Brandon, Manitoba

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
The City received the news that they will not host the 2019 Brier.

Press conference this morning will announce the host city....Brandon, Manitoba
Too bad, it would have been nice to have that here. Hopefully 2020?

I'm sure we'll see a slew of "I told you 8500 seats was too small!" comments all over social media, from people completely unaware that Brandon's arena holds 5000.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:03 PM

Which makes it even weirder as to why they choose Brandon over Moncton.

I know the Brier has been coming pretty sparsely in Atlantic Canada (2017, 2010, 2003, 1995, 1985), but still, the timing would have been perfect.

Maybe presale werent as good as expected (they only say it was "good"), but then again, you can't really compete with the West when it comes to curling popularity.

*Edit*

Radio-Canada indicates that there was 1300 presale tickets sold, which is under the 2000 they were hoping to sell back in June

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...veau-brunswick

Last edited by felip_ars; Oct 13, 2017 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
Which makes it even weirder as to why they choose Brandon over Moncton.

I know the Brier has been coming pretty sparsely in Atlantic Canada (2017, 2010, 2003, 1995, 1985), but still, the timing would have been perfect.

Maybe presale werent as good as expected (they only say it was "good"), but then again, you can't really compete with the West when it comes to curling popularity.
Most likely as it was held in Atlantic Canada this year (Newfoundland & Labrador). I would expect to see it back here perhaps in 2020 or 2021. I hope the city makes a bid for the next one. A bid for the Scotties Tournament of Hearts would be great as well as would one of the world curling events.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:

Quote:
Thrilled to participate today in the official announcement by FCM (Federation of Canadian Municipalities) of their contribution of a $20 million loan for the DT Sports & Entertainment Centre. This loan comes to us through the Green Municipal Fund since the centre is built on a remediated brownfield site and because it is 45% more energy efficient than what is required under the National Energy Code for Buildings (it follows Green Globe standards).
Applying for this low interest loan from the FCM was quite inventive. This should go along way towards reducing the cost of amortizing the Centre. Good idea!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:

Applying for this low interest loan from the FCM was quite inventive. This should go along way towards reducing the cost of amortizing the Centre. Good idea!
I'd be curious to know what the interest rate and other terms of the loan are. It doesn't say on her FB page. At least I couldn't find it. I wonder if it is a non-interest bearing loan.

EDITED: Found out on Greg Turner's page this "The loan will have a positive impact on the overall budget . In this particular instance , it will benefit the Project financially as the interest rate will be considerably lower than traditional market rates."

I guess that answers somewhat my question on the interest rate, although it doesn't state the details.

Last edited by flyer99; Oct 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Additional info added.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:23 PM

If you look on the indoor camera it appears some of the infrastructure for the movable( not sure of the proper term) seats at one end has arrived. In any event the seats installation is coming along. Can't wait for the ice surface to appear.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:09 PM

It seems from the internal cam that most of the seating in the centre is grey, pretty much all of the seating from rows 1-12 or 14. Does anyone else find this rather "drab" or is it just me? This colour gives the interior around the ice surface no "punch" at all. Is this what they were looking for? I knew the seating was a mix of black, red, grey... but this much grey?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
It seems from the internal cam that most of the seating in the centre is grey, pretty much all of the seating from rows 1-12 or 14. Does anyone else find this rather "drab" or is it just me? This colour gives the interior around the ice surface no "punch" at all. Is this what they were looking for? I knew the seating was a mix of black, red, grey... but this much grey?
Your observations are correct, but I think this is fairly typical. If you look at the seating at the Moncton 2010 Stadium at UdeM, there is more variability in seat colour towards the top rows. I think this is because they assume more of the top row seats will go unsold than the lower tier seating, thus to break up the monotony (and to help give the impression to the casual TV viewer of a larger crowd), they place the varied seat colours more to the top.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:59 PM

I don't have any issues with the mixed colors in any particular order. As long as they're comfortable, that's all I care.

Besides, when the seats are occupied, you can't see the color of the seats anyway.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Your observations are correct, but I think this is fairly typical. If you look at the seating at the Moncton 2010 Stadium at UdeM, there is more variability in seat colour towards the top rows. I think this is because they assume more of the top row seats will go unsold than the lower tier seating, thus to break up the monotony (and to help give the impression to the casual TV viewer of a larger crowd), they place the varied seat colours more to the top.
You make very good points. I never thought to look at it in that way. Thanks! I feel better now, lol.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
I don't have any issues with the mixed colors in any particular order. As long as they're comfortable, that's all I care.

Besides, when the seats are occupied, you can't see the color of the seats anyway.
Good point. A comfortable seat will be nice. And these are extra wide which will be great.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:18 PM

I'm really glad they went with what looks to be a darker grey than what was shown in the renderings a few months back. There will barely be anyone sitting in the bottom 5-8 rows, for hockey at least, unless there's a crowd of 7000+. The last thing you want peoples' eyes on (whether you're performing, playing or paying for ad space) is the sea of bright, mostly empty seats.

Scotiabank Centre in Halifax looks terrific since they got rid of their bright orange seats and toned it down with a more subdued colour. Now when the place is only half full, you barely notice it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
I'm really glad they went with what looks to be a darker grey than what was shown in the renderings a few months back. There will barely be anyone sitting in the bottom 5-8 rows, for hockey at least, unless there's a crowd of 7000+. The last thing you want peoples' eyes on (whether you're performing, playing or paying for ad space) is the sea of bright, mostly empty seats.

Scotiabank Centre in Halifax looks terrific since they got rid of their bright orange seats and toned it down with a more subdued colour. Now when the place is only half full, you barely notice it.
A good example to look at is the new Little Caesars arena in Detroit, they went with the red seats and Sunday’s game vs Vancouver looked awful. The red seats gave the idea that there was nobody there because they stood out and that’s the last thing you want when you don’t have a sellout is formit to be very noticeable.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes - it really is worse than you think.......

The city of Moncton was invited by the Moncton Wildcats to speak before season ticket holders at Legends Lounge in the Coliseum last evening (before the Wildcats game) regarding the parking situation at the new downtown events centre.

The city representatives probably knew they were in trouble when they arrived to a packed room with standing room only attendance. They seemed ill prepared.

They gave a brief overview of their "traffic dispersal plan" and then opened the floor to questions from the audience. This is when things got interesting.

As usual, the city claimed that parking shouldn't be a problem with over 4000 parking spots available within a 10-15 minute walk of the events centre, with an additional 600 spots available for on street metered parking.

The majority of the parking spots available however are in private (currently bootable) lots. Unfortunately not every lot owner is interested in making their lots available for evening parking for the events centre, and even if they are prepared to make them available, they would most certainly expect a fee for parking privileges.

I don't think anyone would deny the right of private lot owners to charge a fee for the use of their property for parking purposes. The question therefore becomes "how much do these lot owners expect the public to pay for the right to park on their property???"

The city is apparently in negotiation with the (willing) lot owners to come up with an acceptable fee for evening parking. One of the city representatives made the (unsolicited and spontaneous) comment of "this isn't Toronto, and no one would accept paying $25 for the right to park for the evening." This begs the question "where did this $25 figure come from???" Was this just off the top of the representatives head or are some lot owners seriously thinking of charging such an outrageous fee???

Lot owners who may be willing to consider renting out their lots in the evening apparently have expressed some reservations because they would be competing with free parking at the 600 metered on street parking spots in the core. They feel it may not be worth their while spending money developing a collection system for payment if people will simply park at the free spots anyway. In response, the city is apparently considering charging for on street parking into the evening hours!!!! in order to "level the playing field". If this becomes the case, then there will effectively be no free parking in the downtown at all. I wonder if the city has run this by the downtown restaurant and store owners yet???

As previously mentioned, not all lot owners are even interested in participating in providing event parking, therefore the optimistic figure of 4000 off street parking spots in the core may be way off target. Perhaps it will be more like 2000 spots. The presence of non participating lots also raises the spectre of evil vulture-like booters still preying on the innocent as they search desperately for anywhere, anywhere to park their car before the performance (or game) begins. People such as this will be is so much hurry that they may neglect to do a thorough search for a sign stating that their chosen parking spot is patrolled by jack-booting Nazis, only to return to their vehicle after the event to a most unpleasant "surprise".

It should be noted that no private lot owner has yet come to an agreement with the city regarding evening lot availability for the events centre.

So, in summary, there will likely be far fewer than the 4600 parking spots available that the city optimistically predicted. There will likely be no free parking, even on the street. Finally, the evil spectre of the renegade booter will remain like the shadow of a preying mantis over the downtown core, guarding and protecting those lots not participating in events centre parking.

There were two other things brought up in the Q&A session:

1) - there are no active plans for a pedway over the railway tracks to shorten the walk between available parking and the events centre. The city is hoping that such a pedway "might happen" in the future as part of any redevelopment plans south of the tracks. There was no indication if any such plans exist.

2) - the issue of snow clearing in the winter was also brought up. The city representatives said they would do their best to remove accumulated snow as quickly as possible, but this doesn't take away the fact that all it takes is 2-3 major snowstorms and this effectively eliminates on street parking in the core until the springtime.......

Looking around the several hundred people gathered in the room for the presentation, it was easily apparent to me that I was one of the youngest people there (and I'm 60). I would say the average attendee was likely in their mid 70's, probably on a fixed income, and likely disinclined to walk even 10 minutes to the events centre in even the best of weather (let alone mid February). I would say that Mr. Irving probably has a very big problem on his hands unless the city can come up with more satisfactory answers than they did last night......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 29, 2017 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 2:16 PM

Coliseum has 1,995 official parking stalls. I counted them via google maps aerial view.

- I wonder how many ticket holders will not need to use their cars anymore to go see an event downtown? Well, I'm one of them.

- The Main street bus drop off has been expanded, the events centre itself appears to have bus drop off zones, and easy in/out for taxis. For those living just outside the "easy walking distance' may prefer this option rather than taking their own cars.

- 1,995 parking spots appears easily available south of the tracks, if only, they are giving the ok from land owners. If that's a go, then the only pain in the ass obstacle is the walk on Foundry, under the Main st subway, then 200m to the centre's front door. Solution to this is to build that underground passway below the tracks now and get this over with.

- Does the Events Centre not have x amount of handicap spaces on site? Yes I believe they do.

With that alone, do we not have enough just for Wild Cats & Moncton Miracles games? I'm not even including side street parking and private lot owners who will allow parking.

When I go to concerts in Montreal, private parking are collecting $5-$7 per night.

Here's a thought. The City could negotiate a property tax discount for allowing free parking on their private lots after 6pm. With a nice sign that says "Free Parking For Event Centre 6:00pm to 2:00am only".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces