HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:32 PM
BANNED

I love Chase tower too. Ugly as hell but so expressively powerful it doesn't matter.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:49 PM

Not to get off topic but Chase Tower is a real sleeper.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 9:27 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I love Chase tower too. Ugly as hell but so expressively powerful it doesn't matter.
Absolutely love looking like a tourist and staring up when I'm walking past it. So massive, disorienting and dehumanizing.

Too bad its construction came at the cost of the Morrison Hotel.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 10:35 PM

Chase tower is a good contrast with One Bennett. On one hand you have a tower clad in real granite that looks like concrete, on the other you have a tower clad in concrete that looks like stone.

Maybe One Bennett isn't dehumanizing and oppressive enough to be loved by Chicagoans.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Chase tower is a good contrast with One Bennett. On one hand you have a tower clad in real granite that looks like concrete, on the other you have a tower clad in concrete that looks like stone.

Maybe One Bennett isn't dehumanizing and oppressive enough to be loved by Chicagoans.
Just goes to show you that the building materials are not as important as the design and execution of the project. Marina City, like Chase (nee LaSalle) Tower of great design maximizing the attributes of the materials used.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
Not to get off topic but Chase Tower is a real sleeper.
You are a mad man.

Go get yourself admitted to a Pscyh ward.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 7:36 PM

Morrison hotel was an ugly piece of shit. Chase Tower is much much nicer.

Quote:

How is Chase Tower dehumanizing? Just because it's big? The base consists of a huge sunken plaza where you can totally remove yourself from the city and a stunning multi floor lobby. Just because you personally don't like the style doesn't mean you can just call it dehumanizing. That's just factually inaccurate, it's a nicely textured building with fantastic outdoor and indoor spaces. Also the grannite looks nothing like concrete if you know anything about construction. The building has wayyy more texture than concrete offers.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:

OBP does not look like real stone. It looks like yellow precast ass. You are blind.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
OBP does not look like real stone. It looks like yellow precast ass. You are blind.
I think they are referring to the form the material expresses itself through.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
I think they are referring to the form the material expresses itself through.
That's not my interpretation

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:37 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Morrison hotel was an ugly piece of shit. Chase Tower is much much nicer.
I love Chase Tower, and I'm not here debating one is nicer than the other. Rather, I wish Chase Tower could've been built without having to lose a 500+ ft art deco tower. Not like these old buildings are exactly a dime a dozen. This city doesn't do all that well overall when it comes to preserving its past.

Source: archdaily.com

You may not like it, but calling it an ugly piece of shit may be a bit of a stretch

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 9:18 PM

First building outside of NYC to be over 40 floors, world's tallest hotel for 30 years, and the tallest to be demolished in the world at the time. Not to mention the subsequent Art Deco tower was built upon a Commercial Style layer, which is a very urban notion.

Wiped out for a brutalist bank building in the anti-urban 60s. Typical.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:03 AM
Chicago

April 19, 2018

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:24 AM
1st Ward

OBP (plus bonus Vista & 465 N Park) from JHC Signature Lounge
4/22/18

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:00 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I love Chase Tower, and I'm not here debating one is nicer than the other. Rather, I wish Chase Tower could've been built without having to lose a 500+ ft art deco tower. Not like these old buildings are exactly a dime a dozen. This city doesn't do all that well overall when it comes to preserving its past.

You may not like it, but calling it an ugly piece of shit may be a bit of a stretch
WOW. Another tragic loss for our city. =(
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:49 PM
BANNED

Yeah that's a shame, Chase probably could have been built a block over. If I could wave a wand I'd resurrect the Chicago Federal Building and Prentice too.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
OBP (plus bonus Vista & 465 N Park) from JHC Signature Lounge
4/22/18

If you got good eyes......technically you got Essex and OGP in there too!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:22 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
[First National Bank] probably could have been built a block over.
On what block, exactly?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
WOW. Another tragic loss for our city. =(
Not to get too far off topic but while we're discussing past Chicago buildings, I came across this site of old pictures of the city. It's pretty amazing to see how the city has evolved and all the great buildings that have been demolished.

http://chicagopast.com/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:

Eh, still not that into it, if anything it's mishmash of styles and size were it's greatest fault. It just doesn't have correct proportions. I don't hate the Morrison hotel, but it just wasn't better than what replaced it nor was it better than many many other buildings we lost. Buildings are going to be torn down and replaced in a big dynamic city like Chicago, we just need to concentrate on making sure it's happening to the Morrison Hotels of the world and not the Garrick Theaters, Chicago Stock Exchanges, or Masonic Temples. In the pantheon of lost Chicago architecture, Morrison Hotel barely registers.

I was literally just thinking about this the other day. It's such a shame that the Garrick was lost while the Cadillac Palace was saved. The entire Cadillac block exterior is a bland mess and the interior is garish neoclassical crap which was hardly notable among Chicago movie palaces. I would trade that entire block a dozen times over in exchange for the Garrick to still be standing. I mean yeah, would it be better if every single old building from Chicago's past was saved? Possibly, but you have to thin out the forest to allow new trees to grow. The problem is not the removal of some of the old stock, it's the removal of old stock without taking into account the relative value of such buildings.

Morrison Hotel is way down on the list of things that should have been saved. It's not even an example of one cohesive style and the two major stylistic elements aren't even great examples of their kind. The deco tower is fat and clunky when compared to true great examples of that style (i.e. Carbide and Carbon, Mather Tower, CBOT, LaSalle Wacker, Pittsfield, etc) and the neo-classical commercial block making up the base also pales in comparison to it's peers (Railroad Exchange Building, Burnham Center, People's Gas Buiding, 175 W Jackson, or basically literally anything else built during this period in the style). I mean come on, the entire Morrison Hotel was built out of the cheapest material of it's day, basic red face brick. Not terra cotta, not limestone, not granite, not glazed brick, just like 50 floors of red brick with almost no defining features.

Sorry guys, barely a good building and certainly not a great building like its replacement.

PS, I will say a few of the older bits of the building were nice, but still, they just contribute to the hodgepodge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive