HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:00 AM

I know I am in the minority.......but I like it. I am very happy it was incorporated in the project and saved...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:36 AM

Sure would look a lot better if it wasn't so boxy. Is this some kind of FAR graphic?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:38 AM

I like the design but I still think it should be set back from the historic building. The glass on top sort of dominates it. It would be nice to see them come up with a better solution to their needs for the site.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 8:50 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
This looks horrible. The addition on top of the Temple completely overwhelms it. There's no reason they can't set back the new portion, even if it's just 20 feet. Hell, even 10 feet would help tremendously. They wouldn't be losing THAT much square footage and could even go up another story to make up the difference if necessary.

This is a giant F.U. to the Temple.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:32 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I like it. I might even like it a lot. I like the way it tucks in the Temple building, but I wish it could be 5 or 6 stories taller.

I also hope the fact that this is going to be an extremely polarizing project can serves as a catalyst for a real discussion about loosening if not eliminating height restrictions in and around downtown.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
This looks horrible. The addition on top of the Temple completely overwhelms it. There's no reason they can't set back the new portion, even if it's just 20 feet. Hell, even 10 feet would help tremendously. They wouldn't be losing THAT much square footage and could even go up another story to make up the difference if necessary.

This is a giant F.U. to the Temple.
I assume these are massing studies and nowhere near the final product. Curious how much structural reinforcement is going to need to be done to the Temple to support this addition and how that might change the look of it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
This is definitely not high design. I'm not against a combination project like this in theory, but this is a very rudimentary approach. I'm hoping they're challenged somewhere along the way to push the design. It could end being a very compelling juxtaposition of styles/structures.

If you look closely to the front facade of the original building in the rendering, it also looks like they're add glass columns that mimic the rest of the glass on the new part. That is definitely tacky.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 7:53 AM

I like this approach - a stark contrast is the way to go.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 6:43 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

The "Temple" building is itself and overly heavy and kludgy design. Its not exactly a stellar example of historic brick architecture. Its massing and design are just a poorly executed version of... whatever its supposed to be.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 7:34 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Historic No More?! Demo Epidemic Strikes Notable Downtown Buildings

Quote:
The City of Portland has removed historic resource status from two prominent downtown buildings, a decision that is expected to pave the way for demolition and construction of a new hotel on the site. The buildings—the Ancient Order of United Workmen Temple and Hotel Albion—were placed on the Historic Resource Inventory in 1985 and had been subject to demolition protections ever since.

The city removed the buildings from the Historic Resource Inventory on the same day that the requests were made by the property owner. Due to a zoning code loophole invoked by the applicant, the Bureau of Development Services was left with little option but to approve the request.
There's more at Restore Oregon.

I find it interesting that historic status was removed from the Temple building. Have plans changed in favor of demolishing it, or did they do this in order to make it easier to build above it?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I find it interesting that historic status was removed from the Temple building. Have plans changed in favor of demolishing it, or did they do this in order to make it easier to build above it?
I hope the latter since demolishing it would make the entire project controversial in the extreme. I really don't understand the various development issues here with this property. Why not just increase the height of the building with the proposed overhang? At any rate, fuck this developer, private property, and Baby Jesus if he's manufacturing an engineering impossibility as leverage to destroy an amazing artifact. The irony is that downtown Portland's old bones have been a huge reason for its success. When tourists snap pictures, it's not at bland boxes. It's the amazing stuff. This project really depresses me.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
I hope the latter since demolishing it would make the entire project controversial in the extreme. I really don't understand the various development issues here with this property. Why not just increase the height of the building with the proposed overhang? At any rate, fuck this developer, private property, and Baby Jesus if he's manufacturing an engineering impossibility as leverage to destroy an amazing artifact. The irony is that downtown Portland's old bones have been a huge reason for its success. When tourists snap pictures, it's not at bland boxes. It's the amazing stuff. This project really depresses me.
With all respect this one fugly looking building. I don't have any role or interest in the project. The Temple building though has some weird proportions and the brick has been destroyed through a heavy sandblasting to quickly clean the surface. Inside the building is a death trap and if you want to change occupancy and actually use the building you have to make a huge investment to seismically strengthen it.

On top of that have you seen the architects design solution? Horrific contortions to make the project make program sense. I believe we do need to make stronger efforts to save the relics of our past. Not every old building needs to be saved. Some buildings have lived their life and are spent. At times we need to make room for progress by cleaning things up.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Quote:
The City of Portland has removed historic resource status from two prominent downtown buildings, a decision that is expected to pave the way for demolition and construction of a new hotel on the site. The buildings—the Ancient Order of United Workmen Temple and Hotel Albion—were placed on the Historic Resource Inventory in 1985 and had been subject to demolition protections ever since.

The city removed the buildings from the Historic Resource Inventory on the same day that the requests were made by the property owner. Due to a zoning code loophole invoked by the applicant, the Bureau of Development Services was left with little option but to approve the request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malix View Post
With all respect this one fugly looking building. I don't have any role or interest in the project. The Temple building though has some weird proportions and the brick has been destroyed through a heavy sandblasting to quickly clean the surface. Inside the building is a death trap and if you want to change occupancy and actually use the building you have to make a huge investment to seismically strengthen it.

On top of that have you seen the architects design solution? Horrific contortions to make the project make program sense. I believe we do need to make stronger efforts to save the relics of our past. Not every old building needs to be saved. Some buildings have lived their life and are spent. At times we need to make room for progress by cleaning things up.
I know the person who wrote that post, and he is being disingenuous by giving the impression—without actually saying it—that the demolition of the Temple Building is proposed. I think a smarter strategy would be to welcome the project (which will almost certainly result in a seismic retrofit of a building that is currently unused and otherwise likely to collapse in an earthquake) while stating whatever concerns they have about the architectural merits of the addition.

That said, I'm with Malix - the Temple building is incredibly badly proportioned. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 5:31 PM

I wonder why that building has been vacant for so long? In over 20 years in Portland, I have always thought of this quarter block as a liability to the city. There must be some major problems with even occupying it as is.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Man between this and the new Marriott hotel being constructed across the street this area of downtown is going to be quite different for the better. I always thought this section of downtown was pretty bland and boring for a long time.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 8:04 PM

Drawings [PDF - 106 MB]. Looks like the Temple building is a gonner after all.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Drawings [PDF - 106 MB]. Looks like the Temple building is a gonner after all.
I don't understand the three page appendix with a full history of the Temple building. It makes it seem like they are keeping it, but in all the renderings its now gone.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 11:27 PM

Looks like there is a proposed height of 249' for the hotel and 130' for the office building. The hotel will be 19' taller than One World Trade Center. Maybe a Mt. Hood view for those in the penthouse!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 11:36 PM
BANNED

The renderings make this building look taller than what it is

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 11:47 PM

Not cool. Totally not cool. I really enjoy the look and texture of the Temple building. It's one of the most visually interesting things in that part of town. All the buildings south of there are so bland and boring and here I see the bland glass boxes marching northward. Tear the Lotus building down if you must, but please keep the Temple building. :-(

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland