HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Wow, it only took one million dollars to get six employees.

woo
I know you're just joking, but it's not likely to be just 6. Part of the reason for their move was to expand. They say over the next 2 years, they plan to hire maybe 50 or so new people. Again, not a ton of jobs, but these aren't your typical burger-flipping kind of jobs... these are high-end, well-paying jobs.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:16 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Wow, it only took one million dollars to get six employees.

woo
How much did they pay to get you back?

Or did you have to pay?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 7:30 PM
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
Nashville biotech company relocating to Birmingham
Birmingham Business Journal - 2:37 PM CDT
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Jimmy DeButts Staff

Nashville biotechnology company BioDtech Inc. is moving its headquarters to Birmingham's Innovation Depot.

BioDtech received a $1 million research and development grant from the Birmingham Technology Fund in December 2006. Two of the company's six employees will relocate immediately, BioDtech co-founder Ira Weiss said.

BioDtech develops products that could lead to the treatment of cystic fibrosis and AIDS by detecting, neutralizing and removing endotoxins. Weiss said BioDtech will expand its therapeutic operations from its new base in Birmingham.

Weiss said the technology fund grant cemented BioDtech's move. He said Birmingham is on the cusp of becoming a biotech hub. Weiss said the Innovation Depot will play a pivotal role as Birmingham attempts to join other biotech hot spots such as Baltimore and Boston.

"Birmingham has bridged the gap between business and science," Weiss said. "You might not be a hub yet but you're a growing hub. You have a showcase for developing innovation and technology."

BioDtech, founded in 2003, expects to have its relocation completed by July. It will continue its production and distribution operations from its existing Nashville facility at the Nashville Business Incubation Center located at Tennessee State University.
I think Nashville’s days of irrational development exuberance are over. They announced so many projects in the last 3 years….it will be interesting to see how many make it off the ground. Personally, I think it is great that someone jumped ship and came to Birmingham from Nashville.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 10:23 PM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwtiger View Post
I think Nashville’s days of irrational development exuberance are over. They announced so many projects in the last 3 years….it will be interesting to see how many make it off the ground. Personally, I think it is great that someone jumped ship and came to Birmingham from Nashville.
Yes, and hopefully we can woo enough companies away to make up for losing Caremark (the civic backstabbers they are) to them.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
Trendy.

Eh, Caremark themselves got bought out after they moved to the Nash... so no loss anyways

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
I concede

Quote:
Eh, Caremark themselves got bought out after they moved to the Nash... so no loss anyways
Yeah, I know. Poor bastards!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 11:16 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
How much did they pay to get you back?

Or did you have to pay?

I had to bow down before Carol Clarke and apologize, promising never to leave the city again and to buy a house in Norwood.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 4:51 AM

I snapped this picture of the UAB Academic Building under construction at University and 14th Street.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 4:22 PM

Avondale resurgence: Office condos planned
Birmingham Business Journal - April 20, 2007
Lauren B. CooperStaff

Developers Clint Choate of Birmingham and David Kessler and Laura Kessler of Gadsden will leave the historic facade of the building and restore its storefront into seven office condo units.

The $1.2 million project, Avondale Bricks, will join an already vibrant business community, which recently has become known as an art and design district.

Each 1,600-square-foot office will start in the low $200,000s, enabling buyers to purchase and finance for the same price as rent, Choate said.

Red Mountain Bank will finance the project and Richard A. Campbell III of Corporate Realty Associates will provide broker services. Jeremy Erdreich of Erdreich Architecture will design the project.

Main Street Birmingham Inc. has targeted Avondale for its BEACON project, which helps to strengthen economic development in nine urban commercial districts in Birmingham.

David Fleming, Main Street's executive director, said the area is a good alternative to the downtown and Lakeview areas.

"There is a lot of strength that is beginning to be apparent, not only in residential, but also in the commercial district," he said. "A number of the older buildings there have seen a lot of attention lately."

Fleming said a lot of the loft conversions downtown have left many artists without workspace and many are seeking space in Avondale and nearby Woodlawn.

"The beauty of (Choate's) project is he understands a lot of small-business people need an opportunity to buy a place for themselves," he said. "There is a gap in the market for that project and he will address that need. I think it will be attractive to a lot of creative professionals."

Fleming said there is $3.1 million in recent and current development projects and transactions in Avondale, which encompasses 17 blocks from Fifth Avenue South at Avondale Park to Messer Airport Highway.

Some other projects in Avondale include:

*The Agency, which was an old gas station on 41st Street South renovated by Avondale businessman Tim Burt, owner of Parkside Home & Garden. The space sold to a home inspection and architectural design firm. Additional space is available.

*Gary Hyche and Lisa Lovett plan to renovate a building on 41st into a residence and office space for Hyche's construction and renovation business.
Ram Tool & Supply Co. Inc. purchased adjacent properties to be used for expansion.

*Toro-Cordes Iron Arts Inc. will relocate to the 3800 block of Second Avenue South from First Avenue South.

*Beloved Community Church renovated a building on 41st, which is leased to Customwood, a woodwork and architectural furnishings company.

*Bottletree, a cafe and lounge, is a new venue for national and international music acts and will soon open a cafe.

*The Oddfellows Lodge building was purchased by Marc Bondarenko and will lease space to artist Fran Nagy for a gallery and studio.

*A building on the 100 block of 41st was renovated by Corey Kearse, who will offer the space for offices and lofts.

*The Avondale Library has reopened after a multi-million dollar renovation.

*The Avondale Business Association also has been restored after being dormant for close to 12 years. Michael Mazer, president of Mazer Discount Home Centers on 41st, serves as the new president.

Mazer said the association's goals are to increase redevelopment in the area by attracting new business and investors and to attract visitors to the area with events in Avondale Park.

"Our logo emphasizes that Avondale is a place to live, work, play and shop and our goals are in-keeping with those four watch words," he said.

Avondale was initially founded as a mill town to serve the families and workers of Avondale Mills, a textile manufacturing company.

lbcooper@bizjournals.com (205) 443-5635

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 4:57 PM

Quote:
The irony behind that is most of the operations has been taken out of Nashville with the CVS acquistion also. Caremark Rx played themselves when they decided to leave town.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 5:08 PM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard23 View Post
The irony behind that is most of the operations has been taken out of Nashville with the CVS acquistion also. Caremark Rx played themselves when they decided to leave town.
This probably sounds sadistic but knowing that makes me feel good.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard23 View Post
Businesses always seem to do better when they stay in Alabama.

Dang, when will these businesses learn that Alabamians are more hospitable than Tennesseans.....
I just cracked on myself...CRAP!
Huntsville-Decautr CSA: 526,302

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 1:36 AM

Some pictures of some downtown projects that I took this afternoon...

UNIVERSITY HOUSE BIRMINGHAM

INNOVATION DEPOT

LEER TOWER

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION BUILDING

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 1:14 PM
America's Mars Rocket

nice pics

that Innovation Depot is cool, exactly what will it be for?
And the Leer Tower, that mast on the top was for blimps correct?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
nice pics

that Innovation Depot is cool, exactly what will it be for?
And the Leer Tower, that mast on the top was for blimps correct?
Thanks.

The Innovation Depot is a building designed to combine several of Birmingham's bigger business incubators (UAB, OADI, etc.) into one upgraded facility.

The Leer Tower mooring mast I think was designed to be used by air-balloons and/or dirigibles (blimps).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 1:50 PM

An article in today's Birmingham News talks about "green" building projects and mentions the Federal Reserve Tower now being planned for 19-stories tall. This thing went from 14-stories to 15-stories to 17-stories to 18-stories to now 19-stories. Why not 20-stories? It'd be nice to have a new 20+ story building, but I wouldn't complain if it were just 19-stories.

Quote:
Green's the thing for building projects in area
Environmentally friendly designs are a growing trend
Saturday, April 21, 2007
DAWN KENT
News staff writer

Alabama lags the nation in developing environmentally friendly buildings, but a crop of new projects across the state and the Birmingham metro area could change that.

Green development practices are a growing trend among developers who say they lead to another type of green - money saved in operating and maintaining those buildings.

From designing with the sun in mind to constructing with sustainable materials, green methods help cut utility bills and improve productivity, all while being gentle to the Earth.

Earlier this week, the Jacksonville State University Board of Trustees voted to build an environmental education center in DeKalb County according to green building standards.

The move was fitting before Earth Day on Sunday, said Pete Conroy, director of the JSU Field Schools. Officials hope others follow the model of the $6.2 million Little River Canyon Center.

"I hope that we can make the case that this is not some trivial, tree-hugging metaphor for environmental protection. This is truly a good business decision," Conroy said.

The standards to be used in the project are part of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Building Rating System, a nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings.

According to the U.S. Green Building Council, Alabama has just two LEED-certified projects - Homewood Middle School and a NASA building in Huntsville.

California leads the country with 95 such projects. Among Alabama's Southern neighbors, Georgia has 32 and Florida has 14.

In the Birmingham area, high-profile projects aiming for LEED certification include Colonial Brookwood Center in Homewood and two downtown projects - the new Social Security Administration Building and the redevelopment of the former Federal Reserve property.

Savannah, Ga.-based Melaver Inc. is planning to renovate the Federal Reserve building and add a 19-story tower with a hotel and office space, a project worth about $95 million.

Melaver is no stranger to LEED projects, Chief Operating Officer Colin Coyne said. The company developed the first LEED-certified shopping center in the country and the only such McDonald's.

Green design elements differ by project, but he expects the Birmingham site to use creative stormwater management methods, such as capturing stormwater runoff to hose down sidewalks.

A green-roof technique, which consists of rooftop gardens, is expected to help capture more rainwater and reduce solar heat gain.

Green design also plays a role in a building's internal features, Coyne said, since environmental factors affect workers.

For example, reducing columns inside a building helps increase workers' direct line of sight to natural light, which improves productivity and saves money for an employer, he said.

Coming soon ...:

Colonial Brookwood Center is the first LEED project for Birmingham's Colonial Properties Trust, said David Fullington, vice president of leasing. The $40 million office and retail development at Colonial Brookwood Village plans to welcome its first tenant July 1.

LEED elements in Colonial's project include glass and roofing materials to improve efficiency, as well as the reclamation of asphalt at the site, Fullington said.

"We want to be a very responsible developer, and we think that it will be important to future tenants," he said. He noted that being in a LEED-certified building was important to Southern National Gas, which is moving from downtown to the new office.

Roald Hazelhoff, director of the Southern Environmental Center at Birmingham-Southern College, said developers are buying into the LEED trend because there is such a potential market for energy efficiency.

"Developers are starting to realize the cost of operating the building is higher than the cost of building a building," he said.

Big developers who compete for projects nationwide are leading the local trend, because many of their potential clients, such as the federal government, require LEED certification.

The challenge is getting the smaller firms and homebuilders associations to catch on, he said.

Building savings:

For Melaver, green development costs only slightly more than regular construction, less than 1 percent more for a basic LEED-certified building, Coyne said. The difference is made back in operating and maintenance costs.

A first-time LEED developer may see higher up-front costs because there is a learning curve to the process, he said, but again, other savings should make up the difference.

The biggest hindrance to LEED is ignorance, he said.

"But that ignorance is dropping quickly," he said. "LEED buildings are becoming accepted and demanded by tenants more and more. I think five years from now, the companies who don't build their buildings to LEED specifications will stick out."

E-mail: dkent@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:51 AM

I found this at bhamterminal.com... it appears to be maybe a very tentative design for at least one little strip of the BJCC Entertainment District. Not sure where they got it from, but here it is:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:03 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
I found this at bhamterminal.com... it appears to be maybe a very tentative design for at least one little strip of the BJCC Entertainment District. Not sure where they got it from...
I was going to tell you to visit the Black&White alternative newspaper but I thought I'd save you the trouble.

I'm hoping Performa seriously considers wrapping the existing parking deck with liner buildings. The thought of having a multiple story parking garage looming over a series of 2-4 story buildings does not impress me.

On a side note, Christina Crowe of the B&W obtained the documents from a public relations firm working with the project. She also said Performa's VP of Development, Cato Walker, was dismissive when she asked for the renderings (and related information) saying "When people see them in print, they say, ‘Oh, it’s going to look like this.’ And when it doesn’t turn out looking like that, they get upset." More can be found here: http://bwcitypaper.com/1editorialbod...en.subpub=#123

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 12:48 PM
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
I was going to tell you to visit the Black&White alternative newspaper but I thought I'd save you the trouble.

I'm hoping Performa seriously considers wrapping the existing parking deck with liner buildings. The thought of having a multiple story parking garage looming over a series of 2-4 story buildings does not impress me.

On a side note, Christina Crowe of the B&W obtained the documents from a public relations firm working with the project. She also said Performa's VP of Development, Cato Walker, was dismissive when she asked for the renderings (and related information) saying "When people see them in print, they say, ‘Oh, it’s going to look like this.’ And when it doesn’t turn out looking like that, they get upset." More can be found here: http://bwcitypaper.com/1editorialbod...en.subpub=#123

Man...that is some painful architecture.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 12:53 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwtiger View Post
Man...that is some painful architecture.
2nd year arch class assignment maybe??
Brick.... it's all we use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast