HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:06 AM

im hoping theres a rendering in tomorrows paper

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:45 AM

here's some crappy googleearthitude i threw together.

green = moyer tower
yellow = zgf
manhattan = blue

height on the zgf might be a bit off.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:48 AM

nice render its really too bad they reduced the height on the zgf tower
bvpcm: can you put a 450 footer on the 10th and yahmill parking garage

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:48 AM
Redfin!

Is there still plans to replace the 10th and Yamhill Garage? God, I always parked there when going downtown to Fox Tower Cinemas. Next time I'm home the garage will be gone, that park will be there, this skyscraper will be there. Jeez.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 6:53 AM

This project would almost definitely kill any possibility of a nearly contiguous chain of Park Blocks as variously attributed to Olmstead and others. It's something to think about, because it's one thing to erect a building, but quite another to take it down for any reason once its up, especially such a massive structure as planned.

The hotly debated, criticized and ultimately put aside plan that Goldschmidt was part of had merit inspite of his backdoor dealings. The points of criticism weren't that strong; uncertainty about the potential loss of historic buildings in the park route (even though its rarely something thought to do, their facades could have been removed and reused in new construction) and fear about the park somehow creating a barrier that wouldn't be healthy for business.

Things could be worse than having Moyer plant his tall tower on that block. He tries harder than some of the others to create good buildings. This tower is at an angle relative to the sun that won't allow it to block sun from Pio Sq or South Park Blocks. Even the North Park Blocks should mostly escape its shadow.

The site really does only have one older building with potential character value, (the upper stories have been vacant and boarded up for years.) Moyer is smart; gives the city a block to build a park upon, and then borders it on two sides with his buildings, making quite a long lasting personal legacy that will be impressed upon the city for decades.

So I'm kind of receptive to Moyers tower, but a little disappointed that the park idea looks to be gone forever.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 6:54 AM

i figured there's no way they're building two 400+ foot towers that close to each other without some kind of set-back, so i put the morrison garage tower on the corner.

i'll bet there are some architecture students out there with sketch-up skillz who could do a much nicer job, if ANYONE LIKE URBANLIFE OR ZILFONDEL have the time, hint-hint...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 7:40 AM

Thanks for posting that - this really helps me visualize the impact these buildings will have on the overall urban "feel" of that part of DT.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 9:02 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

^ I think the idea of a complete chain of park blocks has been dead for quite a long time now. The other buildings built on the potential parks are not exacty teardowns, and with or without this building it would take many years to realize. Maybe in Portland of 2100 there will be the will and ability to complete them, but for now I think this tower will do much more for downtown than a park would.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:08 PM

Great news. What is exciting is a building that tall and slender!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:31 PM

The continuous park block idea was dead when they erected the Paramount Hotel...and in any case, think of how many historic treasures would have to be torn down for the continuous parkway. It's time to develop a new continuous parkway on top of the 405!

The Oregonian article today didn't have a rendering, but they did have half a slice of a tower to depict it's height in comparison to the three taller towers already in Portland. Not sure if it was generic or based on something but it has a KOIN tower type shape.

Developer will erect 35-story high-rise
Zell Block - Tom Moyer plans to build a 410-foot tower combining retail, office and residential units
Friday, January 19, 2007
DYLAN RIVERA
The Oregonian

Tom Moyer, developer of downtown's Fox Tower, will announce today that he intends to start construction this fall on a $150 million high-rise office tower that could add long-sought retail vitality to a sleepy midtown section of downtown.

The Park Avenue West tower would contain 35 stories of offices, retail and condominiums on a half-sized block that many have hoped could someday become one of several new park blocks connecting the North and South Park Blocks. The 410-foot-tall tower, if built today, would be the fourth-tallest building in Oregon, peeking over the Moyer-owned Fox Tower and the 387-foot PacWest Center, currently the fourth tallest.

"It's a good, underdeveloped block in town," Moyer said Thursday. "It's one block off Broadway. It's a good retail area. It's an opportunity to invest a little money there."

Moyer helped found the Park Blocks Foundation, which had launched an attempt a few years ago to link the South and North park blocks together with open space and retail. That attempt met resistance from some historic preservationists who objected to razing National Register historic buildings in the path of the blocks.

"I'm sad and disappointed that we lose the chance to have that block as open space for the next 100 years or so," said Jim Westwood, foundation president. "My great-grandchildren are going to have to carry on, I guess."

Moyer's TMT Development and another Moyer company bought the site for the new tower last week from the Zell family. Known as Park Block 4 or the Zell Block, it is best known for the Zell Bros. jewelry store and the Virginia Cafe, among other retail.

Moyer, 87, was once a Portland-area theater chain owner. But in recent decades, he has plowed a fortune into building high-rise office towers downtown and suburban retail centers.

With his Park Avenue West proposal, many in real estate said Moyer could repeat the accomplishment of building a high-rise without the advance leasing commitments most developers need to convince a bank to loan.

By the time it was finished in 2000, the Fox Tower was 93 percent leased.

"I likened the Fox Tower to a perfect storm," said Michael Holzgang, a veteran downtown office broker with the Colliers International firm. "I think there's another perfect storm in the offing."

Pending city approval, Moyer said he would start construction on 280,000 square feet of Class A office space -- about 14 floors -- even without a commitment from a tenant.

At least three other developers have been marketing downtown-area high-rise office tower proposals, but not one has been able to secure an anchor tenant willing to agree to pay the $35-a-square-foot rent that new construction would require.

Equity Office Properties Trust, the largest office building owner in the nation and the Portland area, has said for more than a year that it would not start a building without an anchor tenant.

The announcement of Moyer's intentions will be a significant blow to Equity's First and Main building and other projects, Holzgang said.

"Tom has certainly proven he has vision and an uncanny sense of timing," Holzgang said.

Greg Goodman, one of downtown's largest landowners and developers, applauded the show of moxie on Moyer's part.

"It's going to be an identity piece for Portland," Goodman said. "Tom builds quality stuff. He's in it for the long term."

Moyer's companies paid $13.5 million for the 20,000-square-foot block, or about $675 a square foot. That far surpasses the $7.6 million, or $190 a square foot, that Equity Office paid for its block at the foot of the Hawthorne Bridge.

The Park Avenue West project is expected to include 85 condos on its upper floors and three floors of retail space starting on the first floor. It also would have 350 parking spaces that Moyer said he would like to connect to the parking under construction on Park Block 5, just south of the site.

Moyer said he has already started a list of national retailers, with no presence in the Portland area, that could anchor the space, totaling about 45,000 square feet.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...320.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Moyer said he has already started a list of national retailers, with no presence in the Portland area, that could anchor the space, totaling about 45,000 square feet.
this is friggin' incredible for that area of downtown...the 'lifestyle center' type streets (but the real thing) are finally coming together. I hope one day Portlanders are smart enough to restrict traffic on Park Ave and make it more 'european pedestrian'

anyone hear any information about the Nordstrom upgrade? They were long rumored to be considering buying the Zell Block for expansion but that seems dead now.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:28 PM
Karma Police

Thumbs up

I've seen renderings of Park Avenue West. If you like the Broadway Tower proposal, you're gonna LOVE this....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:31 PM

Simple elevation render:
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/ftp/Friday-A1.pdf

I'm assuming this is at least an idea of what it will look like and not just some random design to represent the tower made up for this graphic.

I think having continuous parks would really be a barrier. Dont get me wrong I love the park blocks tremendously but the series of park squares surrounded by buildings in the core of downtown makes the most sense to me.

I guess it could be possible that Nordstrom becomes the retail tenant in this building and then has either a skybridge between the two or just two seperate stores much like Saks down the street.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:40 PM

Quote:
I've seen renderings of Park Avenue West. If you like the Broadway Tower proposal, you're gonna LOVE this....
awwww 65 max your killing me with the suspense. how soon do you think the rendering will be released?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:51 PM
Karma Police

TMT is very guarded with their releases, but they have always done first-class projects. This one is no exception. Hopefully they will release something within the week.

The small footprint on this block wouldn't work well for Nordstrom, but there are a number of high-end clothing retailers who do not yet have Portland locations. This will be the prime location for them (next to a remodeled Nordy's)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 6:05 PM

this is awesome news! i did a double take when i saw this--it made my day. lets all hope for an awesome tenant for that retail spot. what kind of tenant could fit in that spot anyways? it doesn't seem huge...also, will this affect the broadway tower? does anyone have a clue if thats going to be built? i'm also wondering if this is going to kill that 1st and main building?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 6:15 PM

the shape is interesting

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 7:30 PM
Karma Police

The urban design implications of this building are huge. This will become the main backdrop to Pioneer CH Square, the terminus of the lowrise corridor between Morrison and Yamhill to the river and towering over the remodeled Nordstrom block. It's also on axis with the South Park Blocks, with the above preliminary elevation outline being the south elevation facing PB5.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 7:38 PM
A before E

I am torn on this one. I knew it was a matter of time before this happened. I am sad about the buildings the city will lose, there is some great architecture on that block. But at the same time, I think it will be a major jumpstart to our old midtown blocks and could make this european streets dream a reality.

Plus with this new park block, this would become one of the next new prime locations downtown, and that part of town is just amazing in its urban fabric.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX
The urban design implications of this building are huge. This will become the main backdrop to Pioneer CH Square, the terminus of the lowrise corridor between Morrison and Yamhill to the river and towering over the remodeled Nordstrom block. It's also on axis with the South Park Blocks, with the above preliminary elevation outline being the south elevation facing PB5.
ooooh, I can't WAIT to see the full rendering! Thanks for the info...

Question, at 410' but up 5 blocks from the Wells and US Bancorp, and even more from the KOIN, will this tower rise higher than those towers, elevation wise? I can imagine this looking like a new tallest from the eastbank because the Fox certainly looks taller than it is.

Urbanlife, great architecture? The Zell Block has always looked a bit shabby to me and doesn't connect with the street well at all, IMO. It was either gonna become a park or tower eventually...I'd rather have the tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland