HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:53 AM

I heard from somebody associated with the design of the building that the spire will have some kind of cover over what we see now so that it looks more like a needle when it's done. We'll see...

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:39 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
But this spire sucks too.
No offense to you at all, friend....but I agree with you on this part regarding your submission. That said, I think you're a good guy.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
No offense to you at all, friend....but I agree with you on this part regarding your submission. That said, I think you're a good guy.
I tried...

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
I heard from somebody associated with the design of the building that the spire will have some kind of cover over what we see now so that it looks more like a needle when it's done. We'll see...
Next time you speak with that person, inform them that they need to cover that thing with LED color effects lighting if they haven't already considered it.

I think Genral's concept is pretty cool, something like an angled covering on the spire would fit with the overall design and add an interesting feature to break up the boxy flat roof, something that a straight up spire can't do.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 8:10 PM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4173/...c1b36832_m.jpg

Sorry about how tiny this picture is, but the spire on this building is almost exactly what the Fairmont is getting, only because it is situated towards the front curved section, it works very well here. I've looked at many spire images and there's simply not that big of a variety short of the ones on castles and old churches. That being said, I can't seem to stop thinking that the spire on the Fairmont is there to pretty much inflate the actual overall height of the building.

Last edited by the Genral; May 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4173/...c1b36832_m.jpg

Sorry about how tiny this picture is, but the spire on this building is almost exactly what the Fairmont is getting, only because it is situated towards the front curved section, it works very well here. I've looked at many spire images and there's simply not that big of a variety short of the ones on castles and old churches. That being said, I can't seem to stop thinking that the spire on the Fairmont is there to pretty much inflate the actual overall height of the building.

The spire on the Fairmont looks pretty stupid. Not sure if it'll change much when the building is done.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post

The spire on the Fairmont looks pretty stupid. Not sure if it'll change much when the building is done.
Thanks for the enlarge brando.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 1:01 AM

at least that one looks like it was designed with/for the building. !

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:36 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

Wouldn't it be nice if that building was constructed here instead of what is IMO a slap in the face (to use the analogy) for the city of Austin. Some may consider my statement harsh but I get tired of being tricked or teased by what typically starts out as developers releasing nice or impressive renderings of what they are proposing, then more times than not, either the height or the quality of design decreases.

There are a couple of exceptions, namely the JW which ended up much nicer than the first renderings. A big reason for that was due to the brand upgrade. As it stands, I think the JW Marriott is much more interesting to look at than the Fairmont simply for the fact that it has variation in design.

I agree with Genral that the spire is only there to inflate the height. Honestly the spire should have been removed when they lowered the height and made the tower footprint bulkier. It just doesn't fit and looks ridiculous.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:14 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
a slab in the face
I fixed that for you

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:43 AM
Meh

I'm still wanting to wait and see how it turns out. I don't think the spire is purely an attempt at making it taller, after all, the building was supposed to have 50 floors originally, and one of the documents listed with the city had a 798 foot height listed with the spire. Whether or not that was a typo doesn't matter I guess. I think the spire is mostly a feature to make the hotel distinct and stand out to guests.

I agree, though, that it's mostly an unimaginative spire. Texas actually has one of the best collections of buildings with spires.

San Antonio:

San Antonio's Marriott Rivercenter, which has to be my favorite.
https://www.google.com/search?q=marr...w=1920&bih=950

Dallas:

Republic Center - both were originally office buildings. They were later renovated and now the one with the spire is a residential building. The spire takes the height to 602 feet from a 452 foot roof.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dall...w=1920&bih=950

The Mercantile Building - probably Texas oldest building with a spire.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dall...w=1920&bih=950

Renaissance Tower - this is the "highest spire" in Texas.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rena...w=1920&bih=950

Houston:

The St. Luke's Medical Tower in the Texas Medical Center.
https://www.google.com/search?q=st.+...w=1920&bih=950

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Except for that wall of concrete facing Cesar Chavez. It's horrible! I don't see why they couldn't have windows on that side. What is the reason for leaving that side blank?
God! I agree. Or they could have at least built it the other way around. The other end is beautiful and filled with glass. I dunno why that had to end up on Cesar Chavez. I don't get it.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 10:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOnsii View Post
God! I agree. Or they could have at least built it the other way around. The other end is beautiful and filled with glass. I dunno why that had to end up on Cesar Chavez. I don't get it.
Maybe to help soundproof that section with all the traffic on Cesar and possible future construction. Is it garage or convention space?

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe to help soundproof that section with all the traffic on Cesar and possible future construction. Is it garage or convention space?
Nope, it's back of the house -- storage, prep, hallways with access to the convention space (which all faces north).

It's really pretty awful design, unless they have a plan they're not sharing.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:47 AM

Also, there is no space. The building is lined up with the block to the edge of the street.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Nope, it's back of the house -- storage, prep, hallways with access to the convention space (which all faces north).

It's really pretty awful design, unless they have a plan they're not sharing.
I think it's all the fire escapes... which either have to be totally enclosed or open like the back wall of the convention center.
But even given that... they sure could have created a better gateway to
downtown off 1st. AND a better first impression of their building
as approach it.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:07 AM

That entire little area is urban vomit featuring the ugly side of the Fairmont, the IHOP, a surface lot with an anti-pedestrian slope to Cesar Chavez, the ugly little overflow parking lot for Iron Works next to the Demo'd WPP site, Waller Creek cess pool, I-35 & Cesar Chavez...

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That entire little area is urban vomit featuring the ugly side of the Fairmont, the IHOP, a surface lot with an anti-pedestrian slope to Cesar Chavez, the ugly little overflow parking lot for Iron Works next to the Demo'd WPP site, Waller Creek cess pool, I-35 & Cesar Chavez...
They oriented the building to Waller Creek in deference to the Waller Creek vision. They probably could have put the exit stairs on Sabine, but that would impact the future Sabine Promenade. Red River might have been a better choice given that the Convention Center already impacts it. But Cesar Chavez is currently an automobile sewer, so it was an easy choice. Once the other properties fronting Cesar Chavez redevelop (and it is only a matter of time) the nature of it will change and the Fairmont will be the most negative influence. I think it could have been handled better. The JW Brazos frontage does not seem so bad in comparison. The JW also has exit stairs on Congress of all places, but they tucked the Burger Bar in to mitigate - a huge success that needs to be repeated on new projects!

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
But Cesar Chavez is currently an automobile sewer, so it was an easy choice. Once the other properties fronting Cesar Chavez redevelop (and it is only a matter of time) the nature of it will change and the Fairmont will be the most negative influence.
Maybe by then they will have mounted giant TV screens on the wall ala Times Square! And whoever develops the lot across the street could have a big amphitheater facing the TV and they could play movies at night!

*dream*

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 12:44 AM
World Traveler

I still think that if the Waller project ends up happening (or something significant around there), they'll maybe do something else on that blank wall. Screens, lights, etc...for now, it fits the surroundings, as ATX mentioned, as there is no demand for something better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin