HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 4:49 AM

Has anyone been to The Town Lounge out in roseville. Do you guys think this would be a good place for valentines day.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:29 PM

Bob Shallit: Java City is leaving Loehmann's
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PST Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

The popular Java City cafe at Loehmann's Plaza has closed. In its place, by May, will be the first local presence for Boudin (pronounced Bo-DEEN), a historic San Francisco bakery and restaurant known for its distinctive sourdough bread.

The new place will be one of the first of the firm's new-concept "Boudin SF" eateries, offering a lunch and dinner menu.

"It's a flagship-type tenant," says Paul Bollinger, an exec with the company that owns Loehmann's.

He envisions the restaurant and its surroundings as a destination location -- a "third place" (besides home and work) for people to spend their time.

Boudin also will be opening at The Fountains, a lifestyle center that the Peter P. Bollinger Investment Co. is building in Roseville.

Both restaurants are modeled after one the company opened two years ago at Fisherman's Wharf.

Besides Boudin SF, Loehmann's has signed up four other retailers in what property manager Yoncie Griswold calls a "major re-merchandising" of the center's tenant mix.

Other newcomers will be the area's first Pendleton woolen clothing store, Massage Envy, CitiFinancial and Sports Clips hair-cutting salon. Griswold also reports that landscaping changes -- including the addition of fountains and lighted patio areas -- are planned for the 22-year-old center.

What a shame it's closing. If you lived in that area or went to Sac State, that Java city coffehouse was a regular place to hang out for many, many years.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:35 PM

I'm really excited for the MARRS project to be completed. That whole two block radius around there is turning out to be quite the dining and entertainment epicenter. Have they announced any of the tennants? I remember hearing something about a jazz club, but that was about it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:08 PM

I've only heard rumors about MAARS. The folks at Bistro 33 are looking to do place there (something different though), Lugi's Pizza is looking to do a late night pizza by the slice jount, and the new bar (which could have been a jazz club)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
I hear ya able the need for another similar congestion of bars/clubs in Sac, I still think R Street is going to be our best bet for that.

My brother (straight) says Faces is easily the best place to pick up a girl. He says he's 3 or 3. lol

Females love that area, they can go dance and party with out (so they think) guys hitting on them. A lot of straight people go party at Faces and the bars around that area, seems like it's been that way for a little while now.

Plus, Hot Rods has bomb as burgers...
On R st. the R15/Cafe' Bernardo is one of my favorite spots. Trendy but cheap. Not to mention you can play pool for a buck or play x-box. I appreciate any bar that keeps me entertained. As for Faces, I was their recently and it's getting an enormous face-lift, the extra space will double it's size with 2 floors and they're adding a pool in the back. Badlands across the street will be 3 stories and have a 2nd story patio overlooking K st.. It would be great if R st. can provide a mixed-club district that doesn't involve ridiculous cover charges and bad entertainment like Empire.

Last edited by greenmidtown; Feb 1, 2007 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:11 PM

Sorry, double post

Last edited by greenmidtown; Feb 1, 2007 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:55 PM

Yup, R15 has been my spot recently too. Good prices (how can you mess with a $4 crown shot and $2 PBR!), cool atmosphere, pool tabls and xbox are def a plus. All they need is a foosball table like Streets!

Empire has so much potenial to be a great mid size venue for traveling shows and bands like Slims, and they do bring in shows every once in a while...but it's basically a club first and foremost that does a few shows. I wish it were the other way around.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:58 PM
my posse's on broadway

Lavendar Heights is really a model for the rest of the central city to pay attention to. Though I'm straight, I probably spend more time in that neighborhood than any other part of downtown and midtown. During the weekdays there are realestate companies, banks, architects, printers. There are good places to eat lunch and dinner, and few cool shops too. Then there are the clubs at night, which i don't go to - but that basically means that even though it's a "gay" neighborhood, it's a place i could find myself 12 hours a day. I wouldn't necessarily want R Street to end up a straight club neighborhood. The straight population is large enough to not need to band together.

Unfortunately Empire has kind of ended up a thug spot. But Empire also books some really good bands that don't fit in anywhere else in Sacramento. I mean I saw Sonic Youth play at Empire.... where the hell else could they have played downtown?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Yup, R15 has been my spot recently too. Good prices (how can you mess with a $4 crown shot and $2 PBR!), cool atmosphere, pool tabls and xbox are def a plus. All they need is a foosball table like Streets!

Empire has so much potenial to be a great mid size venue for traveling shows and bands like Slims, and they do bring in shows every once in a while...but it's basically a club first and foremost that does a few shows. I wish it were the other way around.
And a ping pong table, maybe even some old school arcade games. The Empire does have potential and you're right about the shows. I just prefer cheap covers which is why I hit up the Press Club or Old I if I want to dance. On weekends the only club I feel I can take my g/f to is Faces. And of course their's the Park but that's more than my budget allows. For live shows I've found Marilyn's a K st. impressive, you can make a night watching an indie flick at the Crest then walking to Marilyn's for a drink and a show.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
Lavendar Heights is really a model for the rest of the central city to pay attention to. Though I'm straight, I probably spend more time in that neighborhood than any other part of downtown and midtown. During the weekdays there are realestate companies, banks, architects, printers. There are good places to eat lunch and dinner, and few cool shops too. Then there are the clubs at night, which i don't go to - but that basically means that even though it's a "gay" neighborhood, it's a place i could find myself 12 hours a day. I wouldn't necessarily want R Street to end up a straight club neighborhood. The straight population is large enough to not need to band together.

Unfortunately Empire has kind of ended up a thug spot. But Empire also books some really good bands that don't fit in anywhere else in Sacramento. I mean I saw Sonic Youth play at Empire.... where the hell else could they have played downtown?
I was worried somebody would take me literally. I should've said we need a strip of clubs that aren't targeted to any particular group. Not that we don't have those options, but it'd be nice to have a sunset strip type mixed-club/live venue area and gay clubs in between. In Portland they don't have any gay districts like lavender heights, the gay clubs are interspersed between other clubs and venues. But in Lavender Heights their isn't really any space for that, it's the gay district of Sac. Which is cool but another mixed-area is needed.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 11:03 PM
Kodachrome

Sacramento Museum Day Returns February 3rd!

You can't get better than FREE admission

Twenty-five (25) greater Sacramento area museums—more than ever
before—will be offering free admission during the Ninth Annual Sacramento
Museum Day presented by the Sacramento Association of Museums and
proudly supported by Starbucks Coffee Company. Sacramento Museum Day
takes place Saturday, February 3, 2007, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (all
participating museums close at 5 p.m.). Free shuttle buses will serve many
of the participating museums (all routes begin/end/transfer at the California
Museum for History, Women & the Arts, which can be accessed via Regional
Transit Light Rail – Archives Plaza station).

Aerospace Museum of California
5934 Price Avenue, McClellan
www.aerospacemuseumofcalifornia.org

California Foundry History Museum
5301 Price Avenue
McClellan Park
916.929.8001, 916.933.3062
www.foundryhistory.com

California State Military Museum
1119 2nd Street, Old Sacramento
www.militarymuseum.org

California Museum for History, Women and the Arts
1020 O Street, Sacramento
www.californiamuseum.org

California State Capitol Museum
Capitol Building, 10th and L Streets, Sacramento
www.statecapitolmuseum.ca.gov

California State Indian Museum
2618 K Street, Sacramento
www.parks.ca.gov

California State Railroad Museum
2nd and I Streets, Old Sacramento
www.californiastaterailroadmuseum.org
Train Ride Fee

Crocker Art Museum
216 O Street, Sacramento
www.crockerartmuseum.org

Discovery Museum's Gold Rush History Center
101 I Street, Old Sacramento
www.thediscovery.org

Donald F. Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum
4030 Lennane Drive, Sacramento
916.779.1410 ext. 331
www.pharmacyfoundation.org

Explorit Science Center
2801 2nd Street
Davis, CA 95618
www.explorit.org

Fairytale Town
3901 Land Park Drive at Sutterville Road
www.fairytaletown.org

Folsom History Museum
823 Sutter Street, Folsom
www.folsomhistorymuseum.org

Governor’s Mansion State Historic Park
1526 H Street, Sacramento
www.parks.ca.gov

Heidrick Ag History Center
1962 Hays Lane, Woodland
www.aghistory.org

Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park
802 N Street, Sacramento
www.lelandstanfordmansion.org

Museum of Medical History
5380 Elvas Avenue, Sacramento
www.ssvms.org/museum.asp

Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum
1200 Front Street, Old Sacramento
www.oldsacschoolhouse.org

Sacramento Historic City Cemetery
1000 Broadway at 10th Street, Sacramento
Archives Center: 916.264.7508
Tour Information: 916.448.0811
www.oldcitycemetery.com

Sacramento Zoo
3930 W. Land Park Dr.
at Sutterville Rd.
www.saczoo.com

Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park
2701 L Street, Sacramento
www.parks.ca.gov

Towe Auto Museum
2200 Front Street, Sacramento
www.toweautomuseum.org

Wells Fargo History Museum
1000 2nd Street, Old Sacramento
www.wellsfargohistory.com

Wells Fargo History Museum
400 Capitol Mall, Sacramento
www.wellsfargohistory.com

http://www.sacmuseums.org/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:52 AM
Got Good Grub?

Been a long time since I posted but...FWIW - McCormick and Schmick's kitchen is mostly up and running as of Tuesday night. They have a bunch of really nice Blodgett equipment in there and the rest of the construction seems to be going well too.

Some recent rambling thoughts...Kru always has some inventive dishes and good quality sushi - a nice alternative to the always-packed Mikuni. Can't go wrong with the quality and scene at Taro's too. I just found out where Nishiki's is - duh - any recent reports from there?

Mulvaney's is my current favorite in Midtown, though I haven't been to Waterboy in over 5 years. I still hear lots of good things about 55 Degrees. And the wine, food, and small snacks at 58 Degrees keeps it as one of my favorites.

Just got a pie the other night from Giovanni's on Folsom - if you like your pizza NYC style, this is the best I've had yet, though the crust wasn't charred enough for me.

Sad to see Java City go - I worked there one summer a long time ago....

My parents went to dinner at Chanterelle last weekend with some friends, and no one really liked their food and they said the service was terrible. They say it's gone down hill quite a bit from the last time they went.

Savannah BBQ is good for meats, terrible for sides - everything was canned (green beans) or boxed (Mac-n-Cheese).

Aioli is still my favorite tapas place in town, and trust me, you don't want to hear about the kitchen at Tapa the World.

And Joey B's (does anyone go there?) has changed names and is now a sports bar. Funny, that's what it seemed like before...

When's the next MEAT? Maybe Sushi? Sake? Beer? All three combined in a roll at Mikuni - the Sake Bomb Roll? Well, you never know...

Last edited by Grimnebulin; Feb 2, 2007 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:50 PM

yes, McCormick and Schmick is looking really nice, I'll definitely be hitting up the bar. With that opening real soon and paralare euro lounge, that stretch of J st. which has been oddly neglected will start to connect to its surroundings. Also with the boutique hotel being renovated nearby and the renovations and developments planned for K st., it looks like downtown is really coming around. Soon enough it'll become clear to everyone that demand far exceeds supply in the downtown core and inevitably more bars, nightclubs, coffeeshops, restaraunts, and hotels will follow.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post

Aioli is still my favorite tapas place in town, and trust me, you don't want to hear about the kitchen at Tapa the World.

And Joey B's (does anyone go there?) has changed names and is now a sports bar. Funny, that's what it seemed like before...
Is that supposed to be good or bad about the kitchen at Tapa The World? I do kinda like that place. Longtime Sacramento staple. Wish we had a Spanish place like Cascal in downtown Mountain View. Awesome Spanish cuisine and live music. Tapa The World's the closest to it so far, though much smaller than CAscal.

Joey B's used to be a "luxury" sports bar. The owner had to give up the restaurant because he opened up another business near Barstow, CAlif. Under regulations of the Dept of Rehabilitation's Business Enterprises Program, he (owner was legally blind, I believe) can only operate ONE permanent business site at a time. So he gave up Joey B's. I did not know that the new place was already up and running nor did I know that it was another sports bar. Gotta go check it out. Really only went to Joey B's during the Kings heydeys a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:56 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
yes, McCormick and Schmick is looking really nice, I'll definitely be hitting up the bar. With that opening real soon and paralare euro lounge, that stretch of J st. which has been oddly neglected will start to connect to its surroundings. Also with the boutique hotel being renovated nearby and the renovations and developments planned for K st., it looks like downtown is really coming around. Soon enough it'll become clear to everyone that demand far exceeds supply in the downtown core and inevitably more bars, nightclubs, coffeeshops, restaraunts, and hotels will follow.

I really hope St. Anton and John Saca find some way to get their towers built at 11th and J and 10th and J respectively... It would really add a lot to J street.... I wont hold my breath though. If anything happens, we're probably talking a few more years down the road.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:10 PM

I always pictured J street to be the Michigan Ave of Sacramento. The premier shopping and dining district. As well as, nothing but mid to high-rise buildings along the stretch of 7th to 15th street. Every building at least at minimum 350 feet tall. Hopefully, the additions, Metropolitan, Cathedral, and Capitol Grand come to fruition someday.

Last edited by Pistola916; Feb 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 6:34 AM
Here we stAy

Yeah, those are some of the most important properties/projects with all that's going on, IMO. Along with those K st Central towers, J st will be lookin' great. I really hope we can see Cathedral soon, but with the Towers being delayed, I wouldn't think the Metropolitan would start any sooner than 2010. Here's hoping those great projects make it, especially with all the new ground floor retail that will be added by them.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 7:13 AM

^ Maybe towers like the Metropolitan and other mid-range ones would do better because they'd target a larger clientel who wouldn't necessarily want a spa, expensive stores, etc all on one site? I think Saca should press forward with the Metropolitan just to see how it does, although it may "drain" potential buyers from the Towers as well...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 7:32 AM
BUFF$LUT

what's the building that's supposed to have a restaurant on the top floor? was it 500CM? is there any word on what the restaurant is going to be?

oh and is the 524 Mexican food place on 12th & F st going to reopen or is it going to be a different restaurant?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 6:44 PM

FYI: Badlands, the new nightclub across the street from Faces, will be opening in 3/4 weeks, just a little bit off their last estimate of full service by New Year's Eve.

And someone I think posted that it is three floors, which is incorrect. I've been inside of it already, and it's just two floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area