HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 6:12 AM

I interpret "pulse racing" as being the city's vibe and energy. IMO Vancouver easily wins. Your right about property prices in Seattle. They are headed down the same road as San Francisco. I suppose that would get your pulse racing too.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 6:34 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I interpret "pulse racing" as being the city's vibe and energy. IMO Vancouver easily wins. Your right about property prices in Seattle. They are headed down the same road as San Francisco. I suppose that would get your pulse racing too.
Cultural ferment. Economic opportunity. The chance to be part of something that reverberates and is part of a large conversation. Genuine urban charm.

Seattle has these things. Vancouver doesn't. I freely admit that I've only been to Seattle and Vancouver once in my life, so my impressions are limited, but in my estimation it seems to me that if you think that some crowded sidewalks among a sea of soulless green condos provide for a greater urban vibe than what Seattle has, then I think you must really love where you live, and good on you.

I've heard "I want to go there because of Jimi Hendrix, or Nirvana, or Sleepless in Seattle, or Microsoft," etc. many times. I've been told that Seattle has a cool vibe by countless people. I dunno, maybe they're all wrong.

I've never heard much of anything about Vancouver, save for when I lived in Winnipeg, when I heard rank jealousy about flowers in March when it was still -20 on the prairies. Shrug.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Yet Canada has a pretty horrible maternity leave program. Compare that to Czechia which gives 4 years. Something to keep in mind though is that daycare costs are significantly lower in the US. But yes I agree these are things the US must work on and with Trump they have the best chance of moving in that direction.
Czechia is a pretty impressive place when it comes to the sheer size of its cradle-to-grave welfare state; it honestly gives Scandinavia a run for its money, yet you never hear about it. It's also one of the most non-religious countries in the world (the percentage of its population that believes in God is insanely low, something like 15% IIRC), and it has very liberal attitudes on almost everything.

Arguably, they've handled the post-communist transition better than anywhere else in the former Eastern Bloc. They kept all the good parts of communism (the social safety net & heavy secularism) while incorporating all the good parts of Western capitalism (social tolerance & a thriving free market economy).

Maybe we should think about moving there instead of the US, lol.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada