HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 5, 2005, 10:58 PM
The Space Pope

What is going on after all with the A&M campus? I read somewhere that there are still insufficient funds to buy out all the land needed. Also in the second image above there seems to be artificial lakes at the southeastern end of the property bordering the SA river. Today there is only a small pond named Cassin Lake, I wonder if there are plans to extend the lake or build channels to divert water from the river? Does anyone know?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2005, 11:08 PM

I,m not trying to rip SA. I'm sure its a great place. Its just seems the division between city and suburbs is just arbitrary in cities that have less population density. That's why total metro area might be a better assessment for some cities. That doesn't mean you can't be a great city without have the density of New York.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2005, 11:43 PM
The Space Pope

I think I understand what you mean, but I might be misled. Perhaps your perception is a bit skewed, do you imagine the city to be one giant suburban neighborhood encircling downtown, like some have suggested (of course it's not). If so there is even a big difference between the older core (inside loop 410) and the surrounding districts (San Antonio proper as well) built since the 1960's as well as the from the suburbs. I often feel the subdivisions nearing 1604 and even 410 to some extent are San Antonio in name only, because they hardly relate to the inner-city.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon
I think I understand what you mean, but I might be misled. Perhaps your perception is a bit skewed, do you imagine the city to be one giant suburban neighborhood encircling downtown, like some have suggested (of course it's not). If so there is even a big difference between the older core (inside loop 410) and the surrounding districts (San Antonio proper as well) built since the 1960's as well as the from the suburbs. I often feel the subdivisions nearing 1604 and even 410 to some extent are San Antonio in name only, because they hardly relate to the inner-city.
I only think one can say it seems like a giant suburb in relation to the most dense cities in america (NY, Chicago, SF, etc). Of course the central core is still more lively than any generic US suburb (which every city in america has). But honestly, I don't want to restart the tired arguement of urban vs sprawl, as this thread is certainly not the place for it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 3:39 AM

One last thing. One of my close friends lived in San Antonio for several years, and had nothing but great things to say about the city. It's definetly up and coming, and we are all gonna be hearing a lot more about it in the future. Look at all of the recent boom cities (including LA). None of them started with people living in 90 storey high rises. I just hope it doesn't take 16 million in the metro to start huge redevelopment in the downtown (like LA).

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 5:24 AM
James

Nah, we are building our downtown finally, nothing big and fancy, but its still there. In my opinion, San Antonio does kinda resemble a big huge suburb with a lively downtown, but still a wonderous place to live. The reason San Antonio didn't really give into urban living before was that we something called that conservation society, which pretty much shoots anything down that could be remotely tall or large, in the downtown area.

For example... this red, little Torch of Friendship here in the center of the picture, was largely disliked by the Cons. Society because it dwarfed the surrounding buildings.... at the most its about 100ft tall.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 3:09 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

David Hendricks: Big changes coming next year for historic buildings downtown
Web Posted: 07/06/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

The corner of St. Mary's and Commerce streets downtown is headed for a grand rebirth in 2006.

The 24-story Alamo National Building, built in 1929, will reopen in May or June as a Drury Plaza Hotel, the flagship property for the 130-hotel Drury Southwest chain, based in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Catty-corner from the Alamo National Building, the 1926-vintage Aztec Theater will be renewed in January as a 475-seat, big-screen Iwerks Theater, supplemented by two special-effects lobby presentations.

The Alamo National Building's conversion will occur in two stages. The Drury Plaza Hotel will open with about 310 rooms and about 15,000 square feet of meeting space, a $57.6 million project. The $10 million-plus second phase will add 60 to 80 rooms on top of the adjacent parking garage.

The garage itself will be relieved of its eyesore Cold War-era exterior, replaced with an improved façade, said Rick Drury, a director of Drury Southwest.

The second phase has no timetable. The entire River Walk community will keenly expect it, however, because of changes that will occur along the San Antonio River bypass channel along the west side of the parking garage.

The wall is slated to be removed in January 2006 during the 10 days the river will be drained downtown for channel maintenance. At a later date, Drury Southwest will spend $3 million to build a cantilevered walkway that will make the River Walk a loop for the first time.

The River Walk, a top state tourist attraction, now is like a horseshoe that forces visitors to double back when reaching the dead ends. A loop will make the River Walk more pleasant for visitors and business owners alike.

With Drury Southwest donating the walkway to the city, City Hall ought to consider building a Robert H.H. Hugman-style arched stone bridge across the bypass channel at that point to improve visitor access to the west side of downtown.

That would better link the River Walk to El Mercado. The Drury Plaza Hotel, after all, will provide excellent views of San Fernando Cathedral and City Hall.

The exterior fire escapes inside the L-shaped Alamo National Building will be removed, replaced by a new interior stairwell. Three floors of the one-time Class B office building will retain original marble and plaster designs. Other historic features on six additional floors will be preserved.

Original office wooden doors throughout the building are being stored for reinstallation when possible for the hotel.

The elevator reaches only the 23rd story of the building, so penthouse suites on that floor will extend up to the 24th floor.

The old San Antonio Club on the fourth floor of the building will become part of the Drury Plaza Hotel's meeting space.

Drury Plaza is the Drury chain's top brand. The only other Drury Plaza Hotel is in downtown St. Louis, occupying a Lewis and Clark Trail landmark building, Drury said.

Less than a block away on St. Mary's Street, the 150-room Drury Inn & Suites occupies the original City Public Service building, which dates back to 1921.

Until last year, the Alamo National and Aztec Theater buildings both were owned by Theo Bracht of Belgium and operated by Bracht's Euro-Alamo Investments.

Drury Southwest's purchase of the Alamo National Building provides funds for Euro-Alamo Investments to spend about $15 million to renovate the Aztec Theater.

The theater will be largely finished by November. After employee training and installation of Iwerks Theater equipment, the attraction should open in January, featuring two historic items of the original Aztec, the 428-light lobby chandelier and the 1,700-pipe Wurlitzer theater organ.

The Aztec Theater's street-level lobby will feature a light-and-flame three-dimensional special-effects presentation portraying a story about the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl and a re-enactment of the Battle of the Aztec Empire.

Each showing will signal visitors to move to the Iwerks Theater seating upstairs. Iwerks movies will be preceded with a short-subject film on the history of the Aztec Theater and silent movies.

Another 3-D presentation will be staged downstairs on the theater's River Walk level. Titled "Pepper's Ghost," it will portray the workings of historic theater machinery.

The River Walk level also will have gifts shops and a River Walk-entrance restaurant, Austin-based Iron Cactus. The restaurant kitchen will be situated beneath the Iwerks Theater stage.

This will be the fourth restoration of the Aztec Theater since its 1926 opening; the others occurring in 1946, 1952 and 1972, when the 2,800-seat auditorium was subdivided into three movie screens.

An illustrated curtain depicting the initial meeting of Aztec king Montezuma and Spanish conqueror Hernan Cortez will be retained behind the Iwerks screen, visible from stairway landings to the theater's seating area.

The Aztec Theater also will house offices and spaces for school groups to congregate.

The news about both buildings would not be possible without $40 million in bond financing that City Hall qualified for through the federal Empowerment Zone program.

The bonds will finance the Alamo National Building's conversion to a hotel.

And Drury Southwest will not be through investing in San Antonio.

Director Rick Drury said the company, which operates a regional office in San Antonio, is looking at possible projects in the Loop 1604-Interstate 10 area and downtown.

San Antonio has been a favorite city of the Drury family, he said, since a family member moved here as a teacher in 1968. The hotel construction and tourism development that occurred that year in connection with HemisFair '68 was inspiring to hotel founder Bob Drury, who now lives here.

"We're sold on San Antonio," Rick Drury said. "We'll keep on going."

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 3:19 PM
Austinite

Fantastic news. the alamo national tower is a San Antonio landmark... and the riverwalk improvements will be especially significant.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 4:13 PM

Yes Fantastic! Love that building! Will it get a huge Drury Plaza Sign on top to replace the huge ALAMO/M-Bank sign?

Also....the people with a west view will have that beautiful plaza the city built on the west side and the Market Sqaure, San Fernando Catherdal and the great Bexar County Buildings...both old and new.

Extremely great news!

What type of theaters in the Aztec?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 6:37 PM

Thought you all might find this interesting.

Patrick Driscoll
Express-News Staff Writer

Work began today on a four-level interchange at Loop 410 and U.S. 281 on the North Side, an infamous crossing that has fueled tales of boneheaded road planning for almost three decades because it never had an interchange.

The $155 million project is expected to take three years.

“The congestion at this intersection is legendary and has been a barrier to economic development," said John Montford, chairman of the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.

"This will be a vital project for improving mobility," said Mayor Phil Hardberger.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 12:11 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

So I HAD to go take pics this afternoon. Its just a few, and they really aren't that great, but Im trying to keep a good photo Diary of the construction of San Antonio's second tallest building. So the first pics are of the Demolition of the parking garage where the Hyatt Convention Center Hotel will stand and then the next set of pics is the 410/281 interchange project.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 12:38 AM
BANNED

cool pictures.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 2:13 AM
BANNED

I've started a message board.

Hope some of you can post!

http://sanantoniometro.12.forumer.com

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 2:24 AM

Does anyone have any renderings of the 410-281 interchange? I curious to see how they plan to build an interchange in such a little space.

On another note, how is it that it will only take 3 years to build the 410/281 interchange, and it is taking at least 8 to build the i-10/410 interchange? Is the 410/281 interchange that much smaller?

Last edited by elmariachi; Jul 7, 2005 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 4:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi
Does anyone have any renderings of the 410-281 interchange? I curious to see how they plan to build an interchange in such a little space.

On another note, how is it that it will only take 3 years to build the 410/281 interchange, and it is taking at least 8 to build the i-10/410 interchange? Is the 410/281 interchange that much smaller?
The Great Northwest interchange as taken longer because of:

A) It's much harder to build over an older interchange than to build from scratch like at 281/410.
B) The 10/410 interchange was constructed in two phases while the 281/410 Interchange will be constructed in one phase.

Also, I heard that construction will for 281/410 will go on everyday depending on weather conditions which is another reason why it will be finished in 3 years.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 6:06 AM
James

On the news it stated that crews will be working non-stop for the first few weeks.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 9:40 AM
BANNED

About the 281/410 Interchange:

From the Express-News.

Quote:
But there is a bright spot — the schedule was squeezed from five phases over 10 years to one mega-project, thanks to recent state laws that allow bonds to get money faster.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 12:11 PM
James

Front page of todays paper...

as it looked in 2004...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 5:13 PM
Austinite

Texboy... I think its time we start the "official" Convention Center Hotel thread in the "Construction Progress Threads" subsection. Since you have the first 'construction' pics, I think you should have the honor of creating it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 8:13 PM
James

I 2nd that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations