HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:07 PM

São Paulo - You'll still hear about this city.

With Brazil in evidence in the coming years, for sure you will see, read, hear someone talk about this so quaint city: São Paulo
São Paulo is definitely not an easy city to be understood

Founded by Portuguese Jesuit priests in 1554, hence its name "saint paul", the city was the following centuries being a small village, and only in the late 19th century and early 20th century began to emerge as a relatively big city, with the second half of the 20th century onwards made ​​it one of the largest urban areas in the world.

Receiving immigrants from various parts of the world, especially after the First and Second World Wars, São Paulo has one of the largest ethnic mixes on planet. Portuguese, italian, japanese, lebanese, syrians, turks, jews, armenians, germans, russians, chinese, bulgarian, croatian, slovenian, spanish, estonian, korean, bolivians, angolans, nigerians, senegalese, peruvian, south american indians and many other human groups have shaped the face of so-called "paulistanos" (Gentile for those born in Sao Paulo).

Some immigrant groups have had much influence on the daily lives of São Paulo, which even changed the language and customs basic. The italian presence in São Paulo, for example, is so strong that the portuguese language was strongly influenced by the italian accent and today has become a trademark accent of São Paulo, as they say it is "sung".

This multiethnic São Paulo is without doubt the greatest wealth of the city.

Visually speaking São Paulo is chaotic, has no definite aesthetic identity. Its growing very fast and disorderly resulted in the puzzle of architectural styles and landscapes, with almost total absence of an urban model.

Walking by São Paulo is visually very different from European cities and U.S., which are mostly planned and follow a standard urban. In São Paulo, the ugly and the beautiful, decadent and luxurious mostly live together, are in the same neighborhood on the same street, in the same block, so without much geographic division.

São Paulo is an ocean of paradoxes.

The city of São Paulo is a very rich city, the richest city in the southern hemisphere and Latin America, but full of social inequality, has the largest luxury market in the southern hemisphere, but which shares space with the various slums that the city has scattered throughout the suburb.

Jews, arabs and muslims , live in complete harmony in the city and in the same neighborhoods. Many are friends. Others historical enemies as turks and armenians also. Japanese, chinese and korean are mixed up in the same neighborhoods.

São Paulo celebrates every year the world's largest gay parade on the streets, and a week after, the largest evangelical christian parade .

The city has the best public university in Latin America and some of the worst public funtamental schools.

The city of São Paulo is the birthplace of democracy in Brazil, headquarters of the main political parties, newspapers, magazines, publishing houses, television channels and internet, but on the other hand has a truculent police coming from the military dictatorship in the 60s and 70s.

São Paulo has one of the biggest lobbying, corruption and speculation in the property market, able to destroy and build an entire neighborhood in a snap, but the city does not allow the construction of high rises, saying that disrupts air traffic

All these contradictions, some even absurd, that make the city of São Paulo is so difficult to be understood even by ourselves we were born here.

Therefore, as someone once said, São Paulo is a city not for beginners. And to help all of you and myself to better understand the city of São Paulo, I will use my photographic eye to capture and share this crazy city.

Thank You

Last edited by Tchelllo; Aug 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:46 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

An incredible city.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:04 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Wow.........

Thank you.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:08 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Very nice!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:35 PM
Burming Hammer

beautiful! nice to see these street pics. my familiarity with sao paolo is usually limited to those incredible aerial views showing a sea of white highrises.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:31 PM

The boy in picture 36 looks like the kid version of Alex Rodriguez!

Nice pictures, Sao Paulo looks like an awesome place.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:00 PM
not cleavefied

nice set. What can you tell me about the building in #3?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 2:56 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Pretty nice. Street art is in effect down there it would seem. I like it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 3:52 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Fantastic set!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 1:31 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very nice tour and pictures!

I´ve enjoyed watching it. São Paulo is a great city.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
An incredible city.
ty ColDayMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Wow.........

Thank you.
Ty for you view and comment. Ex-Ithacan:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Very nice!
ty arkitekte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
beautiful! nice to see these street pics. my familiarity with sao paolo is usually limited to those incredible aerial views showing a sea of white highrises.
I confess that I dont much like the aerial view of São Paulo because of the thousands of buildings white or beige expressionless, but at street level the city is a million times more interesting. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
The boy in picture 36 looks like the kid version of Alex Rodriguez!
Nice pictures, Sao Paulo looks like an awesome place.

wowwwww it´s true! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope View Post
nice set. What can you tell me about the building in #3?
this building is quite symbolic to São Paulo, called Altino Arantes.

by wikipedia

The building was constructed to be the headquarters of the Bank of the State of São Paulo (Banespa), between 1939 and 1947. It remained the tallest building of the city for two decades until surpassed by the Edifício Itália. Soon after its completion in the 1940s, it was named the world's largest structure of reinforced concrete. It was designed by Plínio Botelho do Amaral, who was inspired by the Empire State Building and Frank Lloyd Wright. Its panoramic view of the center of São Paulo and its outskirts attract thousands of visitors. In the future, the Altino Arantes building will become the headquarters of the Banespa Cultural Institute, facilitating artistic and cultural activities.
After its foundation in 1909, the Banespa underwent a period of substantial expansion and needed a larger headquarters. The first place chosen for such purpose was in the Square Ramos de Azevedo, a place distant from the São Paulo's banking district near the streets Is Bento and XV de Novembro. Determined to move to an area of more economic prominence, the bank made an agreement with the Santa Casa de Misericórdia to purchase a building that they would demolish to construct a new headquarters on João Brícola street. The project was held in the account of the engineer and architect Plinio Botelho do Amaral, but was adapted by the contracting firm Camargo & Mesquita, who wanted to construct something similar to the Empire State Building.
Construction began on September 19, 1939. After almost 8 years, the building was inaugurated on June 27, 1947 as São Paulo's tallest, being 161.22 meters in height. It remained São Paulo's tallest skyscraper for nearly 20 years. In the time of inauguration it was also tallest skyscraper outside United States.[3] During much time the building was easily identifiable due to the luminous signboard that shone from its roof. In the following year a French magazine called it the biggest structure of armed concrete of the world, because many big buildings (including the Empire State Building, which at the time was the world's tallest) were constructed with metal. In the decade of the 1960s the building's name was changed to "Edifício Altino Arantes", an homage to the first Brazilian president of the bank, Altino Arantes Marques. Since then, the building has not undergone any significant external alterations, even after the 2000 sale of Banespa to the Spanish financial group Banco Santander Central Hispano.

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Pretty nice. Street art is in effect down there it would seem. I like it.
you mentioned something quite interesting volguus zildrohar.

São Paulo currently ranks among the top 5 in the ranking of cities with the best production of graffiti in the world, and it has an explanation. with a high social inequality . and a multitude of abandoned buildings added to the sea of beige or pastel color that observed by aerial images of the city, there are thousands of young people wanting to express themselves. and put a little color in Sao Paulo. It´s a response to tone gray, beige and white that dominates the buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Fantastic set!
ty giallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Very nice tour and pictures!

I´ve enjoyed watching it. São Paulo is a great city.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!
Ty so much Danny. I never been in Spain, but but your country is very fascinating to us brazilians, in addition to having many references, along with the portuguese.

Last edited by Tchelllo; Aug 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 11:42 PM

Great pics!

SP is absolutely fascinating!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 5:05 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

very nice job here.

sao paulo is great, i have visited and would love to go back!

you touched on this in your photos a little bit, but one thing that stands out in brazil is the grafitti, which is really on a whole other level than the rest of the world.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
very nice job here.

sao paulo is great, i have visited and would love to go back!

you touched on this in your photos a little bit, but one thing that stands out in brazil is the grafitti, which is really on a whole other level than the rest of the world.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 10:59 AM

Last edited by Tchelllo; Aug 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 4:27 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

now that is what i am talking about!

proving that its the people that make the place.

and who is more beautiful than the paulistanos?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:10 AM
FUS RO DAH!

awesome thread Tchello. Usual Tchello quality photos.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 6:46 AM

Rio may be getting all the attention right now but Sao Paulo is way more fascinating to me. Thanks for the stupendous tour.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 7:16 AM
BANNED

Tchello, seja bem vindo no fórum. Eu adorava seus comentários no SSC, mas lá é uma merda, aqui nao. Os moderadores do SSC sao intransigentes, inflexiveis e ditatoriais. Aqui nao. Aqui a liberdade felizmente é maior e a aceitacao também. Tente participar também da parte Brasil do fórum. Vivi muito tempo em S.Paulo, tentei fazer os diagramas mais significativos de lá, pois conheco bem a cidade. Se você for desenhista e quiser participar dos diagramas de edifícios seja bem vindo também. Abracos. PQP Sao Paulo, a cidade é louca.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.K. View Post
Tchello, seja bem vindo no fórum. Eu adorava seus comentários no SSC, mas lá é uma merda, aqui nao. Os moderadores do SSC sao intransigentes, inflexiveis e ditatoriais. Aqui nao. Aqui a liberdade felizmente é maior e a aceitacao também. Tente participar também da parte Brasil do fórum. Vivi muito tempo em S.Paulo, tentei fazer os diagramas mais significativos de lá, pois conheco bem a cidade. Se você for desenhista e quiser participar dos diagramas de edifícios seja bem vindo também. Abracos. PQP Sao Paulo, a cidade é louca.
Muito obrigado M.K.! Pois é, não dava mais para permanecer aquele fórum, com aquela mentalidade tacanha e de clube da luluzinha que imperava por lá, além de estar de saco cheio daquelas pessoas de extrema direita vomitando baboseiras sobre assuntos que não têm a menor familiaridade. Enfim, mas obrigado pela recepção e vou participar também da parte do Brasil do fórum sim. Na verdade eu já estou cadastrado aqui desde 2010 e cheguei a postar algumas vezes aqui, mas como era habitué por lá, não entrava muito no SSP. Bom, agora vou postando aqui minhas fotos!

Sobre diagramas, na verdade eu fiz curso de edificações e tecnologia em edifícios, mas faz mais de dez anos que mudei de profissão, então não desenho mais nada... Sou do tempo do Auto-Cad R12, ou seja, da idade da pedra, hehehe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos