HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:35 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
the military have a lot of money, we know theres some bad parts of the military. it made me wonder, i dont comment if i dont know anything though.
I'm not talking about people critical of our obscene defense budget, heaven knows I'm one of them. I'm talking about the bunker nut people who suffer from paranoid delusions that their own government is planning some secret attack against them or that the world economy is way more volatile than what in reality it actually is. The shtf crowd is a sad bunch and they are well represented on youtube since that's where they spend so much time getting themselves so bent out of shape.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
This is a pretty big deal in Seattle's history.

Much of the city funnels through a corridor less than a half mile wide from I-5 on the east (hugging First Hill) to the waterfront. Even as a militant alt-transportation advocate I wanted this tunnel because unlike Portland, Vancouver, and San Francisco our downtown isn't isolated or a dead end, but is the heart of the funnel. While transit is also being added at a high rate, the "no freeway" alternative added a lot of pass-through traffic on Downtown avenues. The tunnel isn't for anyone heading TO downtown, only through it...it's nearly two miles with no exits. (They wouldn't have even been possible really...the tunnel is extremely deep to get under other tunnels and buildings.)

Downtown succeeds because of tunnels: The mined heavy-rail tunnel (with freight, Amtrak, and commuter rail) built a century ago, the transit tunnel built in the late 80s (next month the buses leave and it'll be all light rail), and even I-5 itself which is lidded in a couple sections. The new tunnel replaces a six-block segment of old tunnel for Highway 99 in addition to the viaduct on the waterfront. In the next decade we'll start another transit tunnel for more light rail lines.

I've heard that 100,000 signed up to walk through the new tunnel, the old tunnel, and/or the viaduct via free tickets. Some are mourning the viaduct, which despite being rickety and ugly was also loved for its views (including by drivers, go figure) and for being a fast driving route.

Now we have additional years of construction to get rid of the viaduct and rebuild Alaskan Way along the waterfront. We also need to build a major new street where the viaduct climbed the hill, up to Western and Elliott Avenues. That's a big part of the street connections to replace the local-access aspect of the viaduct. Actually not just local but for any car heading to the northwest sections of town.

I'm also celebrating because a decade ago it looked like we might end up with a rebuilt viaduct, which would have had to be taller and wider than the current one just due to safety.
What is the plan for that other tunnel which seems to be part of the old viduct used. I think its called battery tunnel?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:06 AM

It'll be filled. There's not much transportation point, and it's in the way -- a challenge for utilities, extra cost for any new neighboring building, etc.

Also the two entrances would be a problem...one is in the middle of a future street (three blocks of Aurora just outside the north portal will be rebuilt as a surface street, which will have high traffic), and the south portal is on a block slated to become a park.

Some have suggested interesting ideas like a bike trail and stream in an open chasm, but a bunch of obvious flaws seem to be in the way, like access to the adjoining buildings and alleys, and the fairly high use of the street itself, including traffic leading to Aurora northbound.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:28 AM

ok thanks for the info. Someone posted videos from the saturday walk in that old tunnel and it looked to be in pretty rough shape.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:48 PM
Trump for Treason.

Boeing steps up supersonic jet investment, sweeping aside Lockheed Martin partnership

Boeing steps up supersonic jet investment, sweeping aside Lockheed Martin partnership

By Aaron Gregg
February 6, 2019
Washington Post

Supersonic business jet start-up Aerion announced Feb. 5 that it has accepted a sizable investment from Boeing, giving the Chicago-based aerospace giant two seats on its board. (Aerion) (Aerion Corporation)

"Boeing has made a “significant investment” to help Aerion develop and commercialize a sleek, pointy-nosed supersonic business jet it is calling the AS2, the companies announced Tuesday.

A spokesman for the Nevada-based start-up said that Boeing will gain two board seats as part of the investment, suggesting that the Chicago-based aerospace giant is spending significant time and resources to acquire a long-term stake in the company. The precise terms of the investment were not disclosed.

The announcement came days after a contract between Aerion and Lockheed Martin had expired, a Lockheed Martin spokeswoman said..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.2c1d53fce234

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 4:13 AM

They opened the El Paso historic streetcar line late last year. This is my first ride on it. It circulates downtown, and has a line going up north to the UTEP campus.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:50 AM

this is fascinating

Video Link

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

The CTA planned to demolish the Loop and replace it with two subway lines

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:09 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation