HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The LEDs themselves don't mind the cold but the driver does.

I was recently shopping for outdoor fixtures and most of the ones at home centres and most of them do not have replaceable bulbs. The drivers do go and they start strobing.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
a few of mine and my neighbors exterior LED bulbs stopped working during the cold snap, google told me LEds actually function more efficiently in the cold but if u ask me i think the cold is what did it as they are only a year old.

But maybe they mean -20 cold and not -60

might be an expensive fix if they are really fubar.
There are cold weather LED bulbs available but not cheep. I paid almost $10 + tax for one bulb back in 2016. Not sure what the current price is as that one is still working.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 1:58 AM

They’re on tonight. Blue. Moving.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 3:05 AM

If you get good quality ones, they work. I have 8 coloured LIFX floodlights outside. This winter was bad, we had - 40c nights in Winnipeg. They work fine! No issues!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 8:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
If you get good quality ones, they work. I have 8 coloured LIFX floodlights outside. This winter was bad, we had - 40c nights in Winnipeg. They work fine! No issues!
Technically, I don't think that the temperature actually got to -40C this winter.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Technically, I don't think that the temperature actually got to -40C this winter.
Wind chill. We had a -53 a couple of weeks back.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 12:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Wind chill. We had a -53 a couple of weeks back.
Pretty sure you know I was referring to air temp, not windchill.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They’re on tonight. Blue. Moving.
Interesting as two weeks ago when I was leaving work at 1am the lights were static and red in color with some sections missing in action.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 2:28 PM

Wind chill is not a real number. Winnipeg got to -39.9c on the official airport thermometer. However the unofficial thermometer got to -40.0c. There were many locations lower than that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Wind chill is not a real number.
Unless you go outdoors on a high windchill day, then it suddenly becomes very relevant.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 4:18 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Unless you go outdoors on a high windchill day, then it suddenly becomes very relevant.
But as soon as you've protected yourself from the wind (say with a scarf) it becomes completely irrelevant again.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
But as soon as you've protected yourself from the wind (say with a scarf) it becomes completely irrelevant again.
And yet, the same parks and playgrounds that are busy on a nice day are utterly abandoned on high windchill days.

I don't know why you windchill militants are the way you are, but your theories are completely at odds with the reality I see on winter days.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
And yet, the same parks and playgrounds that are busy on a nice day are utterly abandoned on high windchill days.

I don't know why you windchill militants are the way you are, but your theories are completely at odds with the reality I see on winter days.
My point exactly.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 12:22 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
I don't know why you windchill militants are the way you are
You answered your own question.

Quote:
Yet, the same parks and playgrounds that are busy on a nice day are utterly abandoned on high windchill days.
Windchill the way it is unnecessarily simplifies what should be two separate considerations:

- How cold is it (how layered up do I need to be)
- How quickly will exposed skin freeze (how careful do I need to be to cover my face)

They are very different and used to be nicely represented by two different numbers that didn't "look" the same.

Windchill "looking" like temperature keeps people inside when they just need to cover their face.

Nevermind that people keep thinking we're hitting these crazy cold temperatures, when we aren't. Bartley Kives had a fun ancedote:

Quote:
Attendant: The car wash is closed. We close it below -30.
Me: It’s only -25.
Attendant: No it isn’t. It’s -40.
Me: It hasn’t been -40 in Winnipeg since 2007.
Attendant: [blank stare]
Me: May I please use the car wash?
Attendant: It’s -40. Don’t you listen to the news?
https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1087050829780172801

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 12:25 AM

^ Good luck with your mission to convince hundreds of thousands of Winnipeggers that it's all a misunderstanding and they need to just remember to wear a scarf.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:02 AM

Most scarves are fabric and thus, do not keep out the wind.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:43 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Expressing windchill as a temperature value is too confusing for most people. It was expressed in watts/metre squared which made far more sense.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Lmao. Have you literally never been outside before? A scarf negates windchill?

A calm fridged day is far more comfortable than a milder windy day. Windchill affects far more than exposed skin, it cuts through your scarf or coat.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:08 PM

The effects of wind chill are real yes. -53c wind chill is not a real temperature. As others mentioned. It's a calculated number based on some formula. Is this semantics, maybe.

It hasn't been -50c in Winnipeg since when? Ever? But people say this all the time.

Anyways, a rating system would be better, such as mild to severe. Also you need to be in the wind to get the effects of wind chill. Like the gas station attendant, this gets misinterpreted. Although it does get the point across that's it's cold.

Funny enough, this was a topic of discussion during a recent safety talk at work. The presenter, who is a newer immigrant to Canada, did not understand at all that the wind chill values were not real temps. They were never exposed to the wattage rating system in place 2 decades ago.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The effects of wind chill are real yes. -53c wind chill is not a real temperature. As others mentioned. It's a calculated number based on some formula. Is this semantics, maybe.

It hasn't been -50c in Winnipeg since when? Ever? But people say this all the time.

Anyways, a rating system would be better, such as mild to severe. Also you need to be in the wind to get the effects of wind chill. Like the gas station attendant, this gets misinterpreted. Although it does get the point across that's it's cold.

Funny enough, this was a topic of discussion during a recent safety talk at work. The presenter, who is a newer immigrant to Canada, did not understand at all that the wind chill values were not real temps. They were never exposed to the wattage rating system in place 2 decades ago.

Agreed. "Feels like -30" is always more uncomfortable than actual -30 with no wind. The two are not the same thing. They should really bring back the old method of reporting. I guess the stopped using it because people didn't understand that.

As for the car wash attendant, I guess it depends on the rationale for not opening the car wash. My assumption is it has nothing to do with the comfort of the users, and he clearly doesn't comprehend that inanimate don't get colder than the ambient temperature because of wind chill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan