HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Exactly! That's why I didn't specifically say to demolish it. But I wonder if it still looks like this underneath:

Anyway, it would be cool to see some views of Ten50. I see KingKillEm posted some but some more wouldn't hurt since they started putting glass on the "boxes".
That facade is gone. Notice how it's lined up with it's neighbors?

Well the new facade isn't..

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:04 AM

IMO, they should remove that facade and make it clear glass. I think it would make an ideal flagship GAP or Imagine keeping the facade but with a glowing Apple logo for an Apple store!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Glad to see that the glass slide on US Bank Tower will be on the northeast side, which is one of the lesser seen views (but will be visible from the City Hall observation deck). Harry Cobb has to be putting his palm over his face.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:33 PM

Just now:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 5:04 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Pretty cool that Downtown will be getting not one, but two more observation decks very soon.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Glad to see that the glass slide on US Bank Tower will be on the northeast side, which is one of the lesser seen views (but will be visible from the City Hall observation deck). Harry Cobb has to be putting his palm over his face.
I think to hide the tears. Oh my God, this idea has to be one of the most tacky things this city has done in a long time. Why on earth would the city approve such an idea? It is so undignified. Why not a roller coaster? "Hey, move over Las Vegas, we're coming through."

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
I think to hide the tears. Oh my God, this idea has to be one of the most tacky things this city has done in a long time. Why on earth would the city approve such an idea? It is so undignified. Why not a roller coaster? "Hey, move over Las Vegas, we're coming through."
What's the big deal? If implemented properly this could be one of the biggest attractions to Downtown LA. Riding a slide 1000 feet in the air sounds like it'll turn a lot of heads.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
That facade is gone. Notice how it's lined up with it's neighbors?

Well the new facade isn't..

Even a fresh coat of paint would help and the removal of that teetering box sign. The Merrit building has the potential to be a jewel, if thoughtfully restored. It appears that the rebirth of Broadway will be a building by building, block by block, slow march north until fully complete. And despite the seven storied stucco stumps (or shit boxes), which I'd rather not see, Citywatch is all too right when she says that they do put "feet on the ground." In this case there will be many thousands more residents, ready and needing to spend. But I think that planners should stop emphasizing placing retail in every new residential development (which often remains vacant) and allow economic pressure to encourage retailers to expand fresh new retail to occupy the probably millions of square feet of either vacant or swapmeet space on Broadway. DTLA will eventually have over a hundred thousand residents (probably by 2020 or a bit later) but even then I think that their commerce needs should be confined to specific thoroughfares. To do this would strengthen their viability. To think of it in an historic perspective, from the mid-teens to WWII when DTLA was at its heyday there were probably close to a hundred thousand residents (if not more) within the area we know as downtown. And thousands more poured into the core to shop, work, play and engage in commerce of some form. Many thoroughfares were important but Broadway was the supporting spine of the core. I don't believe that it was by accident but rather planned by the city to develop that way. I believe that it is essential to again encourage this concept.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
relax, its fun and its cool. Not the end of the world.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
What's the big deal? If implemented properly this could be one of the biggest attractions to Downtown LA. Riding a slide 1000 feet in the air sounds like it'll turn a lot of heads.
Maybe. I just don't think that it presents a look of dignity when you have such a prominent building that won accolades for design in its day. And to add to that the building is essentially the gateway to Bunker Hill, a solid, yet staid financial district (even though many say said it is sterile) which is suffering from high vacancies, and a somewhat questionable reputation as a serious financial center of one of the worlds great Alpha cities. I mean after all, this building sits on the cusp of an important financial center, and to have a hotel with a observation deck is fine, but to have a hotel with a "kiddie ride" is another. I would be curious to see what commercial office leasing brokers have to say about its impact on business relocation efforts. I hope that I am wrong.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
relax, its fun and its cool. Not the end of the world.
I know that you are right--I'm just in the wrong generation. If it is built, I will look up, squint, laugh, and say "The world is going to the dogs." Just and old saying meant as a joke. But I won't ride it--think that the glass is too thin for my comfort.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
I know that you are right--I'm just in the wrong generation. If it is built, I will look up, squint, laugh, and say "The world is going to the dogs." Just and old saying meant as a joke. But I won't ride it--think that the glass is too thin for my comfort.
im with you on that, i hate heights so no way im sliding down that thing ha. I bet it instantly becomes the most instagrammed location in the city.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:45 PM

They're probably going to charge a ridiculous amount to go down the slide.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
If I remember correctly it will cost $25 to get to the top and an additional $8 to slide your butt 900 plus feet over the city

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:22 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Which isn't unheard of. The Tilt at the John Hancock in Chicago costs $5 dollars (on top of the $20 it costs to go to the 94 floor observation deck). The Skydeck at the Sears Tower costs $22 dollars.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:48 PM

Quote:
8 dollars. Will probably become a huge hit via social media sites.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Harry Cobb has to be putting his palm over his face.
I think this happened when they smashed that huge USBank Logo on the crown.

IMO, this will be a huge attraction that will support downtown in being the tourist draw it can be. This announcement is quite huge for downtown's economy and for LA redefining itself as a city with a center. #Instagram straight flexin!!

BTW, great job on the new thread Mojeda

Last edited by hughfb3; Mar 2, 2016 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:36 AM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:46 AM

For comparison, how much does it cost to go to the observation decks of towers in other cities?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:11 AM

Quote:
For comparison, how much does it cost to go to the observation decks of towers in other cities?
The CN tower in Toronto costs $35 Canadian last year I went

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations