HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 1:25 AM

Video looks great. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if places like Virginia highland do not take steps to become more progressive with development, people will flocks to other thriving neighborhood's that embrace new development and walkability. All in all, really interesting to see more neighborhood's in Atlanta return to walkable destinations.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 2:49 PM
BANNED

Just throwing this out for debate:

Is anyone else feel underwhelmed concerning the new renderings compared to the previous? The density and architecture have been substantially watered down. Considering GSU/Carter paid $30 Million for the 70 acres (or $428K an acre), you would think they would have more in the kitty to build something more impressive than what they have just presented. Just my $0.02.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--...WVfm17fJpwSiO/

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Sep 4, 2017 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Just throwing this out for debate:

Is anyone else feel underwhelmed concerning the new renderings compared to the previous? The density and architecture have been substantially watered down. Considering GSU/Carter paid $30 Million for the 70 acres (or $428K an acre), you would think they would have more in the kitty to build something more impressive than what they have just presented. Just my $0.02.
I'd be curious how much of that $30 million is tied to the stadium as opposed to the land itself considering those costs wouldn't tie into the land basis for the other parcels being developed (assuming GSU is writing that off considering its their stadium).

With that said, the early renders are always going to be ambitious and more pie-in-the-sky. For example, all the buildings have green roofs, it looks like almost all buildings have podium parking, maybe a few with structured parking, and one complex in the foreground with an under served surface parking lot. That is to say, it all looks very expensive and would need high rents to justify building and this area, despite its promise, its just not going to deliver those rents so the new renders probably reflect a more realistic build out.

However, this is a large project with what I presume to be multiple phases and I imagine as the area improves, through their developmental efforts and other gentrifying forces in nearby neighborhoods, that the plans can charge to better address the changing market dynamics. We will see, but either way, I'm very excited to see how this area develops.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post

Is anyone else feel underwhelmed concerning the new renderings compared to the previous? The density and architecture have been substantially watered down. Considering GSU/Carter paid $30 Million for the 70 acres (or $428K an acre), you would think they would have more in the kitty to build something more impressive.
Well what do you know? I actually agree with you (sorta).
I think ATLJ is spot on. That concept rendering is super dense and is probably not even appropriate or realistic for this neighborhood. However the new rendering slides a little far towards the apartment-parking-podium norm. I'm sure that it will evolve as its developed but I would like to see a masterplanned a little better than what the new rendering suggests. But even if it were built exactly as its represented, it would be a huge win for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:21 AM

Local brewery Halfway Crooks slated for Georgia Avenue redevelopment

Quote:
Officials with Carter, the developers who own much of the vacant Georgia Avenue strip, confirm that a brewery called Halfway Crooks will occupy a two-story, brick structure on the north side of the street.

With plans of debuting between May and June next year, the suds emporium will be the first business to open in a roughly four-block redevelopment Carter is simply calling “Summerhill.”
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/11/2...halfway-crooks

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Clearly I am probably one of the least politically correct people here. However, if I was a current resident of Summerhill and some smart@$$ hipster decided to put a microbrew called, "HALFWAY CROOKS" in my neighborhood I would be ready to open a can of ...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 2:13 PM

GSU planning $80 million, 8,000-seat convocation center

https://saportareport.com/georgia-st...just-south-20/

Quote:
It would be built on a roughly 6.5-acre lot on the northwest corner of Fulton Street and Capitol Avenue. That’s between Interstate 20 and the former Turner Field’s parking lots. It’s the block just west of the Ramada Hotel, and is now part paved, part grassy and all empty.

“What we’re envisioning for the proposed facility is a 200,000-square foot, multiuse state-of-the-art facility to support various athletic events, conferences, commencements, graduation ceremonies, convocation … large gatherings, concerts,” said Ramesh Vakamudi, GSU’s Assistant Vice President for Facilities Management Service.

It’ll also be the home of GSU’s basketball program.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:51 AM

New Summerhill brewery aims to kick off construction in May

Quote:
A building permit was just filed in Atlanta for Halfway Crooks Brewing and Blending at 60 Georgia Avenue, which is part of the major transformation of the former Turner Field area.

Shawn Bainbridge, one of the three founders of Halfway Crooks, told Atlanta Business Chronicle on Monday the goal is to kick off construction on the roughly 4,500-square-foot brewery in May.

The hope is to open in fall, he said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...source=twitter

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 12:15 PM

Georgia Avenue Retail plan

Leasing seems to be going pretty well.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 2:40 PM

Good find, that's great. Any idea what "Big Softy" is? Couldn't find anything on Google. I assume ice cream? But for now we have confirmed:

-BBQ
-Coffee shop
-Bakery
-Brewery
-Ice cream?

With pizza rumors.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Good find, that's great. Any idea what "Big Softy" is? Couldn't find anything on Google. I assume ice cream? But for now we have confirmed:

-BBQ
-Coffee shop
-Bakery
-Brewery
-Ice cream?

With pizza rumors.
Per Biz Chronicle article, Big Softie is a soft-serve ice cream concept from the owners of Little Tart.
"making soft serve from organic Georgia milk and cream, as well as homemade toppings and waffle cones"
Also Georgia Avenue is now 50% leased.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 4:51 PM

RFQ/RFP issued for GSU Arena

I hope they eventually come up with a better name than "The Convocation Center".

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...f-the-art.html

Quote:
Georgia State University is moving forward with plans to build a state-of-the-art, 200,000-square-foot event center in downtown Atlanta.

The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia is seeking to hire a firm to provide program management services for the project, which has an estimated total budget of $79.2 million, including an estimated construction cost of $61 million. The Board of Regents hopes to select finalists by early June and interview them in early July.
http://ssl.doas.state.ga.us/PRSapp/b...7-PM220301.pdf

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 7:49 AM

Yesterday I drove by Georgia State stadium and notice construction fencing surrounding the parking lot directly across from the stadium on RDA. Construction workers were busy on the fenced in lot.
Also, all of the older, vacant building on Georgia Ave were abuzz with activity.
Somebody with a good camera should check it out.
This may just be the sleeper, we didn't see coming (so fast).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:39 PM

Summerhill Apartments

Site

Georgia Avenue construction

Atlanta by brandon walker, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:54 PM

Aerial view of some of the Georgia Avenue construction

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:47 PM

Updated site plan with more details and timeline.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 10:13 PM

That site plan looking pretty promising.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 10:54 PM

Aspen Heights student housing construction.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:38 PM

Five builders short-listed for $61 million Georgia State University project

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...n-georgia.html
Quote:
Presentations by the shortlisted firms are scheduled for Aug. 21 and a selection announced at the Board of Regents meeting in September, according to an industry source knowledgeable with the competition. The Board of Regents is expected to announce at their Aug. 14th meeting the names of the firms selected to serve as program manager and architect.

The Board Of Regents, Georgia State and Georgia State Financing and Investment Commission have agreed on a projected 20-month schedule, which would allow Georgia State to use the facility for commencement exercises in May 2021.

Technically this is not a part of the Summerhill development but it will aid in the redevelopment of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:56 AM

Updated renderings

Aspen Heights

Summerhill Development Phase 1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta