HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Why do you want to see some Lawrenceville style development in the heart of downtown?
Right now, another Lawrenceville would be a big improvement. All I'm saying is the natural target audience should be mostly the under-retailed areas to the west and south, people who would appreciate Walmart and an hamburger. If the two respective development groups can make it interesting enough for tourists to come, see, and purchase - so much the better, sort of like the streets of old NY. People who want a gentrified pseudo-experience have lots other options.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Right now, another Lawrenceville would be a big improvement. All I'm saying is the natural target audience should be mostly the under-retailed areas to the west and south, people who would appreciate Walmart and an hamburger. If the two respective development groups can make it interesting enough for tourists to come, see, and purchase - so much the better, sort of like the streets of old NY. People who want a gentrified pseudo-experience have lots other options.
We must be talking about two different things. Walmart, although my least favorite retailer, would be fine so long as it didn't build a 150,000 sq. ft. big box in the middle of downtown. That would be terrible.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:58 PM

What if it were underground. That's a large piece of near-empty retail space.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
What if it were underground. That's a large piece of near-empty retail space.
If it fits into the urban fabric, okay.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
The Avery at Underground Atlanta

Avery

Link: http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/investat...18-17%20vr.pdf

The project is seeking incentives from Invest Atlanta at their meeting tomorrow.
Based on the rendering above, assuming the background is correct, it appears they are developing a chunk of the WRS underground project right over the railroad tracks. Since parking can't be built under this building (MARTA and CSX underneath) this shows that at least some of the above-ground parking that WRS proposed went away or moved somewhere else. I hope this does not mean that the WRS/N9 vision is not being watered down. Below is what I interpret this building as seen in the WRS rendering. I don't believe this fills the whole block since the existing underground sculpture that was along central ave is visible in the rendering above.

Just to add to this... I read in the WRS Invest Atlanta docs that WRS is outsourcing all residential and hotel components to outside 3rd party developers. WRS is only handling the retail and some parking components of the project. It looks like we could have a few skyhouses, or worse, some low rise residential depending on how WRS is able to negotiate these residential components.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Based on the rendering above, assuming the background is correct, it appears they are developing a chunk of the WRS underground project right over the railroad tracks. Since parking can't be built under this building (MARTA and CSX underneath) this shows that at least some of the above-ground parking that WRS proposed went away or moved somewhere else. I hope this does not mean that the WRS/N9 vision is not being watered down. Below is what I interpret this building as seen in the WRS rendering. I don't believe this fills the whole block since the existing underground sculpture that was along central ave is visible in the rendering above.

Just to add to this... I read in the WRS Invest Atlanta docs that WRS is outsourcing all residential and hotel components to outside 3rd party developers. WRS is only handling the retail and some parking components of the project. It looks like we could have a few skyhouses, or worse, some low rise residential depending on how WRS is able to negotiate these residential components.
Good information. Thanks.

I'm not opposed to this as a first phase of the development but I would definitely be disappointed if it ends up being all midrises. I'm glad to see it moving forward.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned before, there is already a Walmart serving the neighborhoods west of Underground.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:06 PM

Curbed has a larger rendering of the first apartments. I have to say I'm already a little disappointed. I REALLY hope this is not all EIFS.

And the site

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/7/20...very-rendering

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:49 AM

Underground neighborhood views from the roof of the county parking garage. Probably not much changes in the next 1.5 years.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 11:15 AM

Underground Atlanta development progressing well WRS says

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...sing-well.html
Quote:
WRS is partnering with Peak Campus, a student housing developer, to build a 700-bed building across from Georgia State University. The building will also have 25,000 square feet of retail at the street level. The student housing development should be open by 2020 for that school year.

It is also partnering with Prestwick Companies, which will be building The Avery on the other half of the block. The Avery will have at least 180 multi-family units and it will have 40,000 and 70,000 square feet of new retail facing Upper Alabama Street.
It sounds like they are still negotiating with the potential big box tenant. Prestwick hopes to begin construction in 2019.

Also The Masquerade is spending $700,000 to expand at Underground and has signed a 10-year lease.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
It sounds like they are still negotiating with the potential big box tenant. Prestwick hopes to begin construction in 2019.
The same articles says this:

Quote:
In the past year, WRS has moved away from having a mega-grocery store along Upper Alabama – once a community concern that Underground would become a project for big box retailers. It now is considering going with either one 40,000-square-foot grocer or multiple 10,000-square-foot or smaller retailers.

“We know we have got to have food there to service the people living at Underground,” Smith said. “We just don’t think there’s a need to have a megastore. We think we could have boutique grocery or a national grocery store that’s smaller and more urban.”

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlanta View Post
The same articles says this:
Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 10:34 PM

A current block-by-block snapshot of the redevelopment

Block 1: Northwest corner of Pryor and Upper Alabama
Higher density hotel, office, retail and additional housing will be the last phase of the four-block transformation.

Block 2: Northeast corner of Pryor and Upper Alabama
Featuring student housing from development partner Peak Campus and multi-family housing from partner Prestwick Companies, more than 800,000 square feet of new construction will begin on this block in fall 2018, with an estimated delivery date of fall 2020 and early 2021 respectively. Both buildings will feature a mix of street-level retail focused on the needs of the neighborhood and Georgia State University’s growing student body. Between block 1 and 2 there will be nearly 175 thousand square feet of retail space to add neighborhood necessities and conveniences to the mix.

Block 3: Southwest Corner of Central and Alabama
Filled with a mix of retail, office and communal areas to support a 24/7 lifestyle, a more extensive rehabilitation of older buildings and other existing structures of Block 3 will begin in early spring 2018. The lower level of Underground Atlanta closed on Aug. 13 to assess the condition of the central hub, utility set up and structural safety. Block 3 is also the permanent home of The Masquerade and the recently announced coworking pop-up Post-Office Cowork at 86 Pryor.

Block 4: Southwest corner of Pryor and Alabama
More than 40 thousand square feet of retail storefronts line Upper Alabama to Peachtree Street and currently house many long-term Underground Atlanta tenants who relocated from the now-closed lower level to continue day-to-day business above ground.

http://atlantaintownpaper.com/2017/1...ransformation/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 11:54 AM

New renderings released of Kenny’s Alley transformation at Underground Atlanta

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...y-s-alley.html

Quote:
WRS Inc. Thursday afternoon released new images of its planned transformation of Underground Atlanta.

The renderings show how the area known as Kenny’s Alley will be remade with more than 150,000 square feet of retail, office and gathering space.

Construction on “Block 3” began in January and is expected to be complete in 12 to 14 months, according to a news release. This section of Underground Atlanta is anchored by concert venue The Masquerade, its first permanent tenant.

S9 Architecture is designing the project.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Looks like that car's about mow a bunch of people down.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 4:03 PM

Underground ‘right about on schedule,’ developer WRS says

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...loper-wrs.html

Quote:
Real estate developer WRS Inc., which bought Underground Atlanta nearly a year ago, has shifted some of its plans as it works to move the complex project closer to construction.

The changes include finding a new student housing developer to take the place of Peak Campus, which was not able to meet the timeline to start its development
Quote:
The reason WRS needed to replace Peak Campus, which would have built a 700-bed student housing facility, was to keep the project moving forward. The student housing piece has to be put in place before Prestwick Companies, an affordable housing developer, can build “The Avery” — which will have at least 180 multifamily units with between 40,000 and 70,000 square feet of retail facing Upper Alabama Street.
Quote:
Smith said they are moving forward with building the construction pad for student housing — ranging from 600 to 800 beds and it will partner with a company that can work within the project’s timetable.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 3:43 PM

See the old Underground one last time

There's a cool little show running for the rest of this week down in the old Dante's space in Underground. They use the back of the ship, the old Alabama doorway and stairs and a bit of that part of the viaduct area where Mick's and the candy store used to be.

I went on Thursday and took this shot of the old signage that will soon be gone

Here's the back end of the ship

Link to rest of post and tickets and such
https://atlantahistory.wordpress.com...one-more-time/

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:07 PM

Site plan from the leasing flyer
http://www.undergroundatl.com/images..._Workspace.pdf

All of the downtown revitalization underway

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 7:23 AM

Does anyone have any new info on the redevelopment of Underground? Has the Avery gotten underway? It's just seems to be stalling out and not moving forward at all.

South downtown needs this project, like the Falcon's need a Superbowl ring.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 10:46 PM

New gay dance club and cabaret coming to Underground Atlanta

http://www.projectq.us/atlanta/gay_c...anta?gid=19215
Quote:
The club — called Future — is the brainchild of Keith Young and Hoosh Mishu, the owners of the after hour event series Xion. Young also co-owns Midtown Tavern, which opened in March.

Young and Mishu signed a 10-year lease at 180 Lower Alabama St., and they contracted Walix Construction to demolish the existing retail spaces and construct the new venue. Planning Interiors, Inc. is handling the design and architecture.

Young said permits are in process and that he expects the club to open in “several months.” He added that he and Mishu’s investment in the project is in the seven-figure range.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta