HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmadsen View Post
Does anyone know what the gold building shown in this image is? John Portman & Associates shared it on their Instagram a bit back.

Source:https://www.instagram.com/p/BZoXN6on...hnportmanassoc
Is that not the coastal states building?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:31 AM

it is indeed.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
it is indeed.

Ahhh yes it is. The color threw me off. Thanks guys. Was driving me crazy.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:34 PM

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 5:34 PM

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmadsen View Post
Ahhh yes it is. The color threw me off. Thanks guys. Was driving me crazy.
it used to be gold i think

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
So glad this building is being saved (MLK went to school there) I was afraid it would get demolished like Brown in East Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 10:15 PM

Belk's Phipps Plaza Flagship To Close Next Year

Quote:
The news comes as Simon Property is expected to make a major announcement Tuesday about Phipps Plaza.
https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...-in-2018-81488

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:17 AM

City of Atlanta’s annexation of Emory and CDC approved

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--...zD6THTyWpN1zH/
Quote:
The Atlanta City Council voted unanimously Monday to annex Emory University as part of the city’s largest expansion in 65 years.

The city’s 744-acre addition covers Emory, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.

The annexation, which takes effect Jan. 1, brings prominent educational and healthcare organizations into the city limits, while also creating the potential for MARTA to build a light-rail line from Lindbergh Center station to the school’s campus. A MARTA line could be built using city sales tax revenue that isn’t collected in unincorporated DeKalb County.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 8:15 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:44 PM

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:03 AM

When did they paint yellow dashes on the EST/is it the entire duration of the trail? I saw a glimpse of it while crossing above it on Virginia.

I am not a fan of that yellow paint that makes you feel like you’re on a road. We want to escape roads, not be reminded of them.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
We want to escape roads, not be reminded of them.
Absolutely agree. There's no need for a dividing line of any sort.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:29 AM

I love it. It's only for the first bit of the eastside trail heading south from Piedmont Park, and it's accompanied by signs saying to stay to the right. Should help cut down on people walking/standing on the wrong side.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Absolutely agree. There's no need for a dividing line of any sort.
Obviously you do not travel the trail frequently. It has become a victim of its own success. People travel from all around just to stroll down the EST and do not know (or refuse to adhere to) trail etiquette. People are constantly walking or standing on the wrong side of the trail and oblivious to the impediment they create. The worst is people walking 6 abreast at a crawling pace.

I think this phenomenon is uniquely American. I've traveled around the globe and there are few other cultures that lack a general awareness of inconveniencing others. In Japan, people will clear a path on the left side of the escalator for those that wish to walk while those who wish to stand stay on the right. A very simple principle, but next time you go to Hartsfield see how many oblivious duds can't grasp the concept.

This is why the markings are required on EST; our population is too inconsiderate and dense to figure it out on their own and it needs to pressed directly in their face for them to maybe realize they are doing something wrong.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:48 PM

I'm just glad it's only a portion of the trail and not the whole thing. Seriously, I don't want to see yellow striping when I'm trying to relax or get somewhere. Yellow is the brightest color to the human eye and effectively works as a warning. It's completely unnecessary to include it throughout a trail even if people have forgotten how to walk around other people. Are we surprised though? How few neighborhoods in metro Atlanta are truly walkable? 99+% of metro Atlanta does not have a similar experience walking distance from their residence. Most people drive to their destinations and drive home without ever engaging with another person, other than behind a ton of metal and glass.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:06 PM

Maybe it needs a passing lane and turn lane?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Maybe it needs a passing lane and turn lane?
My vote is for a reversible suicide lane.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Obviously you do not travel the trail frequently. It has become a victim of its own success. People travel from all around just to stroll down the EST and do not know (or refuse to adhere to) trail etiquette. People are constantly walking or standing on the wrong side of the trail and oblivious to the impediment they create. The worst is people walking 6 abreast at a crawling pace.

I think this phenomenon is uniquely American. I've traveled around the globe and there are few other cultures that lack a general awareness of inconveniencing others. In Japan, people will clear a path on the left side of the escalator for those that wish to walk while those who wish to stand stay on the right. A very simple principle, but next time you go to Hartsfield see how many oblivious duds can't grasp the concept.

This is why the markings are required on EST; our population is too inconsiderate and dense to figure it out on their own and it needs to pressed directly in their face for them to maybe realize they are doing something wrong.
I have traveled around the globe too, and Americans are actually more considerate in public, at least than most places I have been to, with the exception of parts of east Asia, and some European countries. Its all relative, compared to Japan, America might look like a mess in some regards, but compared to so many other parts of the world, America is actually a pretty organized place, And Americans are pretty civil for the most part.

Lets be real here, the beltline is still relatively new, probably hundreds of newcomers check it out for the first time everyday, and thousands on the weekends.. You really think they are all going to be aware of beltline etiquette? Like most people are going to research beltline etiquette every time they check it out? Its become somewhat of a tourist attraction, and you see families in droves on the beltline on the weekends, they are not going to strictly adhere to beltline etiquette weather we like it or not, most people, out of towners at least probably wont ever know there is such a thing as beltline etiquette, to them its just a trail you can walk around parts of the city on, they will just follow the general flow of others for the most part.

This is why when I see bikers get angry at pedestrians on the belt line it gets to me.. I've seen cursing and yelling from some bikers now several times.. How arrogant. It's a damn crowded shared space! Obviously for the most part its not going to be a smooth ride for a biker, especially on the weekends. Us locals need to chill out a little bit and be a little more humble. The belt line is new, and being able to walk in the city of Atlanta on this scale is a relatively new phenomena as well, we are not Tokyo or London where you would be able to walk freely all over the city for decades now..

I agree that line markings help greatly, but other than that the best the city can do is perhaps post what beltline etiquette is along the trail, and overtime more and more people will adhere to them, and follow what others are doing.

Last edited by One ATLien; Dec 18, 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:40 AM

It’s just like walking on the right side of the hall in high school or only standing on the right side of an escalator so people can pass on the left. People will start to do it- they don’t need to tarnish the trail with road paint.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta