HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:46 PM

O4W | King Memorial TOD

Looks like this is getting close to starting: Monday, Dec 4th

Around the King Memorial MARTA station, the $65 million project is on four acres on the south side of the tracks adjacent to Historic Oakland Cemetery

(from the Smith Dalia website)

Here's a recent Curbed article on the long-delayed development
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/7/21...rtment-project

Adding to the density already propelled by The Leonard, The George, Pencil Lofts, Mattress Lofts, and whatever is going in where Eye Drum used to be.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Looks like this is getting close to starting: Monday, Dec 4th

Around the King Memorial MARTA station, the $65 million project is on four acres on the south side of the tracks adjacent to Historic Oakland Cemetery.

Here's a recent Curbed article on the long-delayed development
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/7/21...rtment-project

Adding to the density already propelled by The Leonard, The George, Pencil Lofts, Mattress Lofts, and whatever is going in where Eye Drum used to be.
I think you mean what has been dubbed "Platform".

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:10 PM

I love the street level interaction of the project. Hopefully something is also built just to the South of this development so that itdoesn't feel "isolated" so to speak. That whole area has just gone kaboom over the last couple of years.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:26 PM

Found a comment from MARTA on courbanize.com: "Construction is currently expected to commence in 2019"

Not sure if H.J. Russell is still the developer

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:06 PM

This has been delayed like 2 or 3 years now. I have my doubts this breaks ground next year.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:35 PM

The re-render is a big improvement.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
The re-render is a big improvement.
Where is the new rendering available? I only see the original rendering and a rendering for Platform (already finished and located a few blocks away). I'm actually a big fan of the original rendering. We don't have many ultra modern apartment buildings and it looks a lot better to me than the standard ATL Texas Donut with 5 types of cladding and garish color combinations.

Regarding delays, I'll just say that getting the capital stack together to finance affordable housing deals is always tricky, and this one adds a new layer of complexity given its modular construction. Given that it's backed by MARTA, Place Properties, and Invest Atlanta, I'm pretty confident this thing gets done. Not placing any bets on when though.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:25 PM

I may be confused, but if this

is a re-work of this

then I personally like the newer model. Samtycka? Håller med om det eller inte?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
is a re-work of this then I personally like the newer model. Samtycka? Håller med om det eller inte?
Those are not the same project.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:44 PM

OK, thanks.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Samtycka? Håller med om det eller inte?
Ha! Nej, dom ar inte samma sak. But it sounds like we agree on which rendering is better!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:54 PM

This is the original rendering for the King Memorial TOD. Marta originally selected Walton Communities as the developer which was changed last year to a JV between Place Properties and HJ Russell. http://rebusinessonline.com/marta-se...n-development/

The one called Platform is nearly complete.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Oct 10, 2018 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:10 AM

Invest Atlanta had this blurb in their latest newsletter
Quote:
King Memorial MARTA TOD: A 385-unit modular multifamily community at the King Memorial MARTA station with 93 units income-restricted to households earning 80 percent of the area median income (AMI). The project included a $6 million Eastside Tax Allocation District (TAD) grant through Invest Atlanta to Place Properties to support the $64.5 million development
Still on track to break ground in 2019

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 1:03 PM

On track? This was supposed to break ground over 2 years ago. The parking lot was closed by Marta to start construction in Feb 2017 I’m almost certain. The whole lot was already poorly maintained before but is really deteriorating into an eyesore with no use. The site needs to get moving, or the lot reopened and paved for use. The streets are always full of cars trying to access Marta and the area is not maintained by anyone currently. The city nor Marta patrol the area. It’s becoming dirty and attracting vagrants the past year even with the surrounding residences. The underpass smells of piss always and has leaks always covering the sidewalks in nasty pools of funk resulting in pedestrians having to use the street and battling cars in the process. My family has begun to not like using the station due to the lack of maintenance between Oakland and the station entrances. This needs addressed!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Oct 25, 2018 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
On track? This was supposed to break ground over 2 years ago. The parking lot was closed by Marta to start construction in Feb 2017 I’m almost certain. The whole lot was already poorly maintained before but is really deteriorating into an eyesore with no use. The site needs to get moving, or the lot reopened and paved for use. The streets are always full of cars trying to access Marta and the area is not maintained by anyone currently. The city nor Marta patrol the area. It’s becoming dirty and attracting vagrants the past year even with the surrounding residences. The underpass smells of piss always and has leaks always covering the sidewalks in nasty pools of funk resulting in pedestrians having to use the street and battling cars in the process. My family has begun to not like using the station due to the lack of maintenance between Oakland and the station entrances. This needs addressed!
Hmm interesting. So after this thing is done, you're still gonna have to walk under the tracks on Grant St right? Always felt a little unsafe down there as well as the boulevard tunnel.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:38 PM

Might by news. This was on MARTA's twitter over the weekend
Quote:
After Monday, February 4th the King Memorial Station parking lot off Grant St. will be closed. Additional parking will be made available in the Oakland Foundation lot at 237 Grant Street SE
Man, I've been wanting to get rid of this surface lot for 20 years! The walk from the station to Oakland cemetery really needs this make-over

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta