HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 12:15 PM

I'll have to echo Randy's story. I too "grew up" with this airport, and I love it.

I can honestly understand why some folks abhor connecting through here, although if this is your home airport it's a totally different situation.

Being able to take the train down there is also one of my favorite things about our set-up here.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 3:04 PM

The airport is a good one in the sense of design and capacity, but it is unimpressive in regards to services or amenities. For example, there is not one hotel in the airport. There are no showers in any of the airline clubs like O'Hare or JFK. Also, the restaurants suck! But, I don't blame the airport as much as Delta....which has got to be the worst airline on the planet and basically owns Hartsfield. Because DL practically flies everywhere you can imagine out of ATL, you rarely see a foreign carrier here. I love the glamour and excitement of all the different international carriers you see at JFK, ORD, and LAX.

I wish DL would downsize and other carriers would pick up the slack and demand an improved airport facility.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 3:24 PM
Honored Member

Delta the "worst airline on the planet"? You're defintely in the minority with that opinion. Delta may not be everyone's favorite, but it nowhere near being the "worst." I've flown Delta more than any other airline, and when I've flown other airlines (United, American, and Northwest), they've never impressed me as much as Delta has. The only U.S. airline (of the 5 that I've flown) that matches Delta IMO is Southwest. I will admit, though, that it's been a few years since my last Delta flight, and considering their recent financial problems, their service quality may have declined recently (but financial problems have plagued most airlines in recent years). But I've been flying for over 31 years now, and Delta has been my consistent favorite during that time and certainly not the "worst airline on the planet."

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 3:34 PM

I would put Northwest as worst, long before Delta!

You can monitor the Center & TRACON radar for Hartsfield and listen to the
center & tower at this website. It mainly focuses on the Macey arrival, the
world's busiest enroute air traffic approach corridor.

ATC Monitor: http://www.atcmonitor.com/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 3:45 PM
Honored Member

BTW, here's a list of all the food and beverage options at ATL:

Atlanta Bread Company
Au Bon Pain (2)
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (2)
Brews & Blues Bar (2)
Budweiser Brewhouse
Burger King (4)
Charley's Steakery (2)
Chick-fil-A
Chili's Bar & Bites
Chili's Too
Cinnabon (2)
Concorde Restro Bar
Domino's Pizza (2)
Edy's Grand Ice Cream (2)
Great Wraps
Hartsfield Bistro
Haussman Restro Bar
Hot Dog City
Hot Dog Construction Company
Houlihan's (2)
ICBY/Swenson's
Image's Lounge
Krystal
La Carrousel Bar
Last Call South
LePetit Bistro
Magnolia Bar & Grille
Manchu Wok (2)
Mandarin Express (2)
Miller Lite Victory Lane
Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs (3)
Paschals Resturant
Paschal's Southern Delights (2)
Pizza Hut/Hog Dog City
Plane Delicious
Popeye's Chicken (3)
Red Brick Tavern
Samuel Adams Brewhouse (2)
Sbarro Pizza
Seattle's Best Coffee (3)
Sojourner's
Spizzico
Sports Scene, The
Starbucks (5)
TCBY (4)
TGI Friday's
The Grove Natural Snacks (2)
Wall Street Deli
Wendy's (2)

O'Hare isn't much better:

http://www.flychicago.com/Concession...Beverages.shtm

JFK is slightly better, but not to any extreme:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jfkshopsframe.htm

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 4:11 PM
The Believer

Why is this Airport so busy? Its not like its servicing a extremely heavily populated area. ATL metro is 4.5mil (correct me if im wrong), NYC's is 20mil, LA is 17mil, and CHI is 9mil. London is 11mil(correct me if im wrong).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Brown
Why is this Airport so busy? Its not like its servicing a extremely heavily populated area. ATL metro is 4.5mil (correct me if im wrong), NYC's is 20mil, LA is 17mil, and CHI is 9mil. London is 11mil(correct me if im wrong).
It's the largest hub for Delta airlines. Over 800 (I believe) flights a day just from one airline out of Hartsfield. It's also a major (if not the largest which I believe it is) hub for AirTran, the discount flyer, with about 200 flights a day. So, you have 1000 flights from 2 airlines at one airport, without even thinking of the other 2 dozen plus airlines flying out of there.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sandford
Delta the "worst airline on the planet"? You're defintely in the minority with that opinion. Delta may not be everyone's favorite, but it nowhere near being the "worst." I've flown Delta more than any other airline, and when I've flown other airlines (United, American, and Northwest), they've never impressed me as much as Delta has. The only U.S. airline (of the 5 that I've flown) that matches Delta IMO is Southwest. I will admit, though, that it's been a few years since my last Delta flight, and considering their recent financial problems, their service quality may have declined recently (but financial problems have plagued most airlines in recent years). But I've been flying for over 31 years now, and Delta has been my consistent favorite during that time and certainly not the "worst airline on the planet."
Dude, in all due respect, I know what I'm talking about. I did misstate a bit...meant to say "worst domestic US airline". Take a look at my screenname. I travel for a living and spend the better part of any week on a plane. I'm also a former resident of Atlanta. I've flown everybody and by far DL is the worst of the bunch.

Delta Airlines = The uncomfortable served the inedible by the indifferent. I'll attempt to elaborate, but it will be hard. There's nothing left to judge-no food, no snacks, no customer service, no pillows, no movies, no audio, no nothing. What's next, no seats? - wait, better not give them any ideas.

Customer service: They should hand out cowbells for passengers. You are treated like cattle, but at least they get fed. All that's missing are the cattle prods. Now I know what the cows felt like on the Chisholm Trail. At least on AA, UA, or CO you can be upgraded to "human class". Rotwilers snarl less than some crews. Surly to bed, surly to rise.(You need air mashalls to protect passengers from the crew!) Service? I didn't notice any. Basically, you'll get better service from the Styx boatman. Delta gives a whole new meaning to the word 'Airbus'. "Shut up, we get you there" could be there slogan.

Entertainment systems: If they exist at all, they predate the airline industry.

Economy class: Basically, contortionist seating. I've heard that if its gotten better recently, it's because it wasn't possible to to get any worse. The coach seats come close to defining cruel and unusual punishment. Economy class is like the Bataan Death March with carry-on luggage. Don't go unless you have a chiropractor and psychotherapist travelling with you. It's like being shipped via UPS to your destination.

Detla's ontime preformance at ATL: A broken clock has a better chance of being ontime into ATL.

Baggage: The baggage handlers have turned losing luggage into an advanced science. I've lost my luggage so many times that I keep a standard complaint letter on my laptop.

Condition of planes: Did Aeroflot have a salvage sale? DL has ancient aircraft held together by duct tape that are slightly younger than the Wright brothers. The only thing older than the planes are the flight attendants-and the meals.

Damn, I hate flying DL and increasingly have less choices due to cutbacks.

Last edited by trvlr70; Mar 30, 2006 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 4:56 PM
Honored Member

With all due respect, I prefer to trust experts like J.D. Power and Associates (and the opinions of those who don't refer to me as "dude"...LOL).

Delta shines in J.D. Power study
March 2005
J.D. Power and Associates' 2005 Airline Satisfaction Index Study ranked Delta one of the top three major U.S. airlines for overall customer satisfaction. In a study that looked exclusively at domestic flights, Delta had the highest index score among global carriers. The results of the study are based on responses from more than 2,600 passengers who flew on major U.S. airlines between May and October 2004. Overall customer satisfaction is measured based on performance in five factors: check-in/boarding/deplaning process; flight reservation/scheduling process; aircraft interior; in-flight amenities; and flight crew.

http://www.jdpower.com/pdf/2005042.pdf

Other accolades...

Executive Travel gives Delta top honors
January 2006
Executive Travel magazine, a publication distributed by American Express®, recently named Delta the Best Domestic Airline in 2005, based on the launch of SimpliFares® in January 2004. Results are tallied by the magazine's readers, who were asked which companies had blazed new paths, set trends or altered their industries with their products.

Business Travelers Choose Delta as Most Preferred Airline in Business Travel Survey
August 2005
Delta has been named as the most preferred airline for business travelers by the YPB&R/Yankelovich Partners 2005 National Business Travel Monitor, and more than 50 percent of survey participants mentioned Delta as one of their “preferred three airlines” when traveling for business. The YPB&R/Yankelovich Partners 2005 National Business Travel Monitor is a national survey of the travel habits, preferences and intentions of 1,200 active business travelers in the United States.

Delta stocks 'Most Original Wine List'
February 2006
For the second year running, a panel of wine experts has voted Delta's international wine program the "Most Original Wine List" in the "Cellar in the Sky 2005" wine awards. As Delta launches the largest international expansion in its history, it is uncorking and serving its BusinessElite customers the 10th edition of a unique selection of wines offering a distinctly global bouquet from its sky-high wine cellar.

Last edited by Randy Sandford; Mar 30, 2006 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 5:14 PM
Trendy.

I have to agree (sorry Randy) that Delta is horrible now. They're all I used to fly when I lived in Cincinnati but their quality has declined severely in the past few years. I can attest to their staff being surly (the flight attendants really have a chip on their shoulders about their paycuts) and the ground crew isn't much better.

The only domestic airline that is worse (IMO) is Northwest. They're just disgusting. Who wants to fly on a (seriously) 40 year old DC-9?

Me? I stick to Southwest and JetBlue exclusively now.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 5:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
I have to agree (sorry Randy) that Delta is horrible now. They're all I used to fly when I lived in Cincinnati but their quality has declined severely in the past few years. I can attest to their staff being surly (the flight attendants really have a chip on their shoulders about their paycuts) and the ground crew isn't much better.

The only domestic airline that is worse (IMO) is Northwest. They're just disgusting. Who wants to fly on a (seriously) 40 year old DC-9?

Well, I did state the following:

"I will admit, though, that it's been a few years since my last Delta flight, and considering their recent financial problems, their service quality may have declined recently (but financial problems have plagued most airlines in recent years)."

Besides, I've heard that service has gone downhill on most of the major carriers, with the exception of a few like Southwest. In the J.D. Power survey, JetBlue was #1, followed by Southwest, then Delta. Click on the PDF link for the complete results.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 6:09 PM

Brown, you must remember that the other cities you named are served by more than one major airport, whereas Atlanta is served by one. In addition, Atlanta's location and the fact that it is a major hub means that many other flights connect in Atlanta. I believe some one once said, "When you die, you'll have to change planes in Atlanta on your way to heaven".

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanthemanatl
Brown, you must remember that the other cities you named are served by more than one major airport, whereas Atlanta is served by one. In addition, Atlanta's location and the fact that it is a major hub means that many other flights connect in Atlanta. I believe some one once said, "When you die, you'll have to change planes in Atlanta on your way to heaven".
Local enplanements at Hartsfield are 10% of passenger totals so the one airport vs. many is not really a factor. The number one reason it's busy is it's location and saturation of hub traffic. You can't put a (effective) hub on a coast is another reason that any one NY or LA doesn't have the traffic that ATL does. If ATL was where Savannah was, it wouldn't be a hub airport. It probably wouldn't have any more traffic than Boston or Baltimore.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 7:52 PM

Quote:

I actually like the DC-9s. There's only one middle seat in each row, so only 1/5 chance of being stuck in the middle. On every other narrow body jet, its a 1/3 chance. The planes may be old, but they have the best reliability and safety record of any plane in the sky. Besides, the interior is new, so you can't tell the difference. The only thing different is that the planes aren't pressurized as well as new planes, and it's noisier in the back. Northwest has pretty bad domestic service as of late, but their international service far exceeds that of any us airline. They compete with the fancy asian carriers in the pacific, so they have to. The thing I don't like about Northwest is that they have so many tonka jets, which I absolutely hate. I do love connecting in Detroit, though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Look man

I dont think Delta Airlines would be the largest carrier in the world if it sucked as u say it does...and by the way the reason why u dont see international people is cuz ur in the domestic concourses...next time u fly in delta in atlanta go to the E concourse...What other airport has trains in them!!! And yeah if u go to E concourse ull see there r a lot of international people...and I think in my opinion delta airlines is the best airline in the world and i have experience cuz ive flown in many airlines...
Delta airlines
American Airlines
Air tran
Continental airlines
united airlines
COpa airlines
Iberia

Yeah so in my personal opinion delta has the best first class to start it out..the best service and great prizes....so if delta sucks as bad as u say how come its the largest carrier in the world?????

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaboy9016
I dont think Delta Airlines would be the largest carrier in the world if it sucked as u say it does...and by the way the reason why u dont see international people is cuz ur in the domestic concourses...next time u fly in delta in atlanta go to the E concourse...What other airport has trains in them!!! And yeah if u go to E concourse ull see there r a lot of international people...and I think in my opinion delta airlines is the best airline in the world and i have experience cuz ive flown in many airlines...
Delta airlines
American Airlines
Air tran
Continental airlines
united airlines
COpa airlines
Iberia

Yeah so in my personal opinion delta has the best first class to start it out..the best service and great prizes....so if delta sucks as bad as u say how come its the largest carrier in the world?????
DL is not the largest carrier. It is behind AA and also UA. It has a monopoly in ATL with little competition so it doesn't have to compete.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 9:24 PM
BANNED

and by the way

For the guy that said that atlanta has 4.5 million people in their metropolitan area it is 5.3 now....and also...The reason why harsfield is the major one is because this...CHicago is in the middle of the country so they dont have that many flights to asia or stuff like that....NY has 2 airports so yeah...LA's majority of flights is to mexico,caribbean,south america,central america and asia....Europe im not sure they have that many...and atlanta has to asia,South central america...caribbean...mexico...US..Canada...Europe(Paris,London,Rome,Athens,brussels,frankfurt i think) and many others...they have flights to africa...so yeah...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 9:27 PM
BANNED

in fact..i was wrong...It is the second not third...

Delta Air Lines (OTC Pink Sheets: DALRQ) (IATA: DL, ICAO: DAL, and Callsign: Delta) is a major U.S. airline headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, operating a large domestic and international network that spans North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and the Caribbean.

Delta operates hubs at Atlanta, Cincinnati, New York-JFK, and Salt Lake City. Delta also has large operations in many other cities, including Boston, Columbus, Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, New York-LaGuardia, Orlando, and Washington-Reagan. Delta is also the leading carrier in Florida. Its major international gateways are Atlanta, Cincinnati, and New York-JFK.

In terms of passengers carried (87 million in 2004), Delta is the second-largest airline in the world (behind American Airlines). In terms of total operating revenues, Delta is the fourth-largest airline in the world (behind Air France-KLM, American Airlines, and United Airlines) As of September 1, 2005, Delta (including its wholly owned subsidiary, Comair, Inc.) served 178 domestic cities in 46 states, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, as well as 71 international cities, including 10 future ones, in 45 countries.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 10:53 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaboy9016
What other airport has trains in them!!!
Cincinnati
Dallas/Forth Worth
Orlando
Minneapolis
Denver
San Francisco
Seattle

etc., etc., etc.

Having a train in an airport isn't really a bragging right anymore.

---

Re: Delta - Let's just say I miss the days of the L-1011 and "We love to fly - and it shows..."

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Last edited by Sulley; Mar 30, 2006 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 11:02 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Cincinnati
Dallas/Forth Worth
Orlando
Minneapolis
Denver
San Francisco
Seattle

etc., etc., etc.

Having a train in an airport isn't really a bragging right anymore.

---

Re: Delta - Let's just say I miss the days of the L-1011 and "We love to fly - and it shows..."
Don't forget Tampa and Orlando.

And I miss the L-1011 too! It is such a beautiful plane!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta