HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:44 PM
Reliable Source

I forgot to mention reversible lanes, such as on Northside Drive, could be installed at comparatively reasonable cost and would halve rush hour congestion. Spending more money on synchronized, moniitored traffic signals would also help tremendously.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:50 PM

Actually GDOT has been trying to get rid of reversible lanes like Northside Drive for a while now because of safety issues.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 12:04 AM
Reliable Source

I don't understand why there would be a safety issue, at least no moreso than any other non-divided street. Reversible lanes would be a tremendous improvement on roads like SR 120 between Duluth and Johns Creek, or all along SR 140. Even Peachtree Road and Roswell Road traffic would benefit from reversible lanes.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 12:08 AM
Reliable Source

If they're worried about people going the wrong way by mistake, that could be fixed with retractible prongs, same as are used to prevent wrong-way entry into secured areas.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 12:13 AM

US 78 is another example of a highway using this and it is one of the most dangerous highways in Atlanta for that reason. I'm not sure why they're so dangerous, but accident history doesn't lie. There was a TV report about it a while back, can't remember which station.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 1:50 AM

Fiorenza, I agree that we could make the streets look a little more polished - I was just thinking of the "pothole" issue which I think is sometimes blown out of proportion.

I wholeheartedly agree that we don't put NEAR enough money into sidewalks, curbs, aesthetic streetscaping, etc.

I apologize for missing your point.

Regarding N'side Dr. - I live and grew up basically on N'side. The problems didn't use to exist with the reversible lanes but the idiots are becoming increasingly abundant. I don't know how many times I have watched someone move into the center lane at W. Wesley (headed south in the evening) to turn left and got lucky that no one came flying over the hill for a head-on collision. I think most of the problem is the signage is VERY VERY poor. The DOT should have addressed this a LONG time (20 yrs) ago so that people understand the meaning behind reversible lane as it can be very effective if used properly.

What are "retractable prongs"? Is that a joke - sounds a little harsh...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 11:55 PM
Tr@nsPl@nt

The roads wouldn't be in such bad shape if they were not so entirely overused.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:02 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeAtlantan
What are "retractable prongs"? Is that a joke - sounds a little harsh...
I believe he's talking about the kinds of devices you see in the pavement at car rental return facilities, where you can drive in, but driving out would slash your tires to smithereens. That would be hysterical! (as long as no one got hurt)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 4:21 AM
Transit Gloria Mundi

There is some hope - the locals and MARTA (as well as GRTA and GDOT very reluctantly) are talking transit. See http://www.tpb.ga.gov

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 4:04 PM

Gwinnett group wants to reconsider MARTA

By PAUL DONSKY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/07/06

A group of Gwinnett County leaders is pushing for an extension of MARTA's rapid rail line to the booming area, 16 years after county voters soundly rejected a plan to join the regional transit system.

Officials with the Gwinnett Village Community Improvement District, which covers the Norcross and Lilburn areas, say the issue deserves to be revisited because the county has changed dramatically since the last MARTA referendum in 1990.

Gwinnett's population has more than doubled, and its traffic problems now rival the nation's worst bottlenecks.

MARTA has long been locked out of the area's biggest suburban counties, leaving the transit system to serve only DeKalb and Fulton counties and the city of Atlanta.

But on Wednesday, the door into Gwinnett creaked open when the county's lone representative on the MARTA board, Bruce Le'Vell, asked the board to study the feasibility of an expansion into the state's second-most populous county.

The board readily agreed, voting to spend up to $50,000 on the study, provided Gwinnett match the figure. Chuck Warbington, executive director of the Gwinnett Village CID, said Wednesday his group would come up with the matching funds.

Another referendum may be years away, if it happens at all. It's a politically risky matter that calls for a 1 percent sales tax increase and has racial overtones. Gwinnett and the other suburban counties' historic refusal to accept MARTA has been seen by some as way to keep out minorities.

The 1990 vote failed by more than a two-to-one margin.

"It is speculative, I know," said Le'Vell, a jeweler and developer from Duluth, of the effort. "But somebody's got to pull the trigger, and I'm going to pull it."

Gwinnett has a seat on the board because the county helped fund MARTA's original engineering study. Gwinnett voters declined to join the system in 1971.

Gwinnett began its own bus service several years ago, with limited local routes and a handful of commuter express buses.

The 1990 plan envisioned a $700 million rail line extension to Gwinnett Place Mall with three new stations, including a park-and-ride lot in Norcross at Jimmy Carter Boulevard and Buford Highway.

MARTA's study will revisit that plan and determine whether any changes should be made.

Gwinnett has grown up, said Le'Vell, with dense pockets of development that could easily support a rail line or other form of mass transit.

Several developers have recently unveiled plans to build high-rise condominiums — a first for Gwinnett, he noted.

Meanwhile, traffic on I-85 and other major roads has reached critical mass, he said.

"There's a need to move people through that highly dense corridor other than [with] cars," Le'Vell said.

Talk of a MARTA sales tax in Gwinnett comes at a time of great uncertainty in transportation circles — and possible competition for new sales tax revenue.

The state Legislature is expected to discuss several measures to shore up transportation funding, including a statewide 1-cent sales tax and allowing regions to levy a sales tax.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 5:13 PM

With surburban traffic congestion AND the fact that a lot of the suburban systems are going to be running out of their Federal Startup funds soon (2008ish) and going to the state for funding; you have to think there's going to be a major shift in mass transit funding/structure. There just has to be. And it would hopefully include state funding -- then everyone will want to get on the bandwagon and get those state dollars.

It's good to see leaders in Gwinett and Cobb realizing that they have to start looking at transit issues again.

I actually think the racial elements have been mitigated some. Especially in Gwinett, they now have large immigrant and minority populations themselves, they're no longer really a white-flight bedroom community. With the intown housing boom AND minorities and immigrants moving out to the suburbs, it's not as clear cut an issue, both intown and suburbs are more diverse.

Plus with some of the big large scale developments going up, it seems that the density will eventually be there to support MARTA, and I'm a big believe in getting transit in place before you actually need it, instead of having to play catchup and paying out the nose for land and logistic issues. Also, with watch for tightening opposition and zoning issues that will also lead to surburban counties designating higher density around the stations (like Atlanta has).

I was under the impression though that one thing that killed the Gwinnett vote before, was that people in South Gwinnett didn't want to pay the extra penny sales tax for a system they thought would basically just serve N. Gwinett. There was talk before that if Gwinnet paid the extra penny, they would want a MARTA extension up I-85 as well as an extension of the East line.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 3:00 AM
Transit Gloria Mundi

In terms of federal start up funds (so-called CMAQ - Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality) Clayton county has run out, Gwinnett County never used them - prefering instead to use their county general budget from day one -, Cobb County never used them, and the Buc in Buckhead has run out. The GRTA 11 county Xpress service has a pool of mixed county funds and CMAQ funds that will run out sometime around 2009 to 2012 depending on whose projections you believe and how much service they cut.

It will be interesting to see how the Gwinnett County Commission reacts to the MARTA/Gwinnett Place CID study.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
By PAUL DONSKY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/07/06

A group of Gwinnett County leaders is pushing for an extension of MARTA's rapid rail line to the booming area, 16 years after county voters soundly rejected a plan to join the regional transit system.
Finally these people have woke up after 16 year's hibernation. Gwinnett County could have been quatripled its size by now if things were done differently then. It's not too late though. LOL

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
Gwinnett County could have been quatripled its size by now if things were done differently then.

Did anyone else feel a little sick when they read that portion of the comment? Maybe we need to keep MARTA out of Gwinnett... lol

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 5:41 PM

Personally I see MARTA in Gwinnett as still a long shot. With Gwinnett joining the likely expansion to Gwinnett Place Mall only brings it to central Gwinnett. That leaves a lot of the county, a lot of money, and a lot of voters who even if they are interested in MARTA a long way away from the stations. I expect they would see the benefit as minimal, even if they supported it... which could lead them to wanting to kep their sales tax dollars at home and voting no.

I personally think Gwinnett would be much better served with a light rail line that connects to the Doraville MARTA station. Run it up Buford Highway, across to Pleasant Hill, maybe even into Lawrenceville. Would probably do more for redevelopment efforts, gain more ridership, and be more successful. Just my 2 cents worth though.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTallPaul View Post
I expect they would see the benefit as minimal, even if they supported it... which could lead them to wanting to kep their sales tax dollars at home and voting no.
If money is a major concern, I think they should consider MARTA rail is gonna boost up the property value in Gwinnit big time, just like in Atlanta near MARTA stations, the property values are much higher than other places in the same area.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
If money is a major concern, I think they should consider MARTA rail is gonna boost up the property value in Gwinnit big time, just like in Atlanta near MARTA stations, the property values are much higher than other places in the same area.

My point is that the area that benefits from that is small compared to the area that votes for or against it. People in Buford, Dacula, Snellville, Loganville, etc etc would not necessarily benefit either in transit and in some cases property values from a transit station that is near Norcross or Gwinnett Place. Even if there would be some benefit in terms of transit and property values to those areas (just because I suppose to you park and ride much closer than the existing stations) - there is likely still a perception value that must be overcome. Do those people who would vote realize that there would even be a benefit.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 10:00 PM
Wahoo Wah

Well, people in Buford, etc. would get increased transit service: there would probably be much greater access to bus transit along Buford Highway, etc. This would do wonders for the immigrant population up there.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 4:12 AM
Reliable Source

Quote:
This would do wonders for the immigrant population up there.
Most of 'em can't vote though.

There are many light rail and other mass transit initiatives in Atlanta that should be considered, but Gwinnett isn't gonna fly. I live there...people simply aren't gonna vote for the MARTA 1%.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 9:40 AM

Gwinnett will be fine with commuter rail, that is if the state ever gets that one going. With the exception of the GA400 corridor (because there's no freight track I'm aware of near there), MARTA rail doesn't need to be extended to all these places outside the Perimeter. Focus on expansion and increased service within its current coverage area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta