HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 10:42 PM

So, Atlanta residents would self tax to help pay for expansion into Gwinnett. I'm trying to visualize where and how this could be used

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
So, Atlanta residents would self tax to help pay for expansion into Gwinnett. I'm trying to visualize where and how this could be used
Yeah Limiting the law to existing transit stations doesn't make any sense. They are already funding Marta anyway. I thought the idea behind the bill was to allow for expansion to districts that want transit, like those in Gwinnett, without the entire county having to join Marta.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 4:43 PM

What a horrible idea. When are Gwinnettians going to realize that they're going to have to pay for transit, if they really want it?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
What a horrible idea. When are Gwinnettians going to realize that they're going to have to pay for transit, if they really want it?
Gwinnett legislators are the ones that don’t seem to get it- the residences already seem to grasp it. It’s crazy he even proposed that the same places that already are taxing themselves more for transit tax themselves even more for additional expansion. Not to mention be limited it to half mile buffers around the stations. He doesn’t get transportation in general and this proposal alone should be enough to campaign against him. He clearly shouldn’t hold a seat.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 6:31 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/n...T.nav=top-news

This is about MTA in New York, but it's a good example of how state funding isn't necessarily a panacea for a transit agency struggling for funding, like MARTA.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/n...T.nav=top-news

This is about MTA in New York, but it's a good example of how state funding isn't necessarily a panacea for a transit agency struggling for funding, like MARTA.
It goes on about how maintenance is vital of infrastructure, not necessarily that state funding doesn’t help. Or maybe I am misinterpreting and you simply mean even the big dogs have issues with appropriate funding, too?

Maintenance costs should not be shocking to anyone who understands lifecycles. Roads degrade, bridges weaken, ships and airplanes need parts replaced, buildings can only sustain for so long depending on construction materials, pipelines corrode and deteriorate... and so do tracks, trains, signals, and everything else associated with rail infrastructure.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
It goes on about how maintenance is vital of infrastructure, not necessarily that state funding doesn’t help. Or maybe I am misinterpreting and you simply mean even the big dogs have issues with appropriate funding, too?

Maintenance costs should not be shocking to anyone who understands lifecycles. Roads degrade, bridges weaken, ships and airplanes need parts replaced, buildings can only sustain for so long depending on construction materials, pipelines corrode and deteriorate... and so do tracks, trains, signals, and everything else associated with rail infrastructure.
It mentions how money initially earmarked by the state for transit got redirected away from MTA over many years, leading to the degradation of the system. Many of us want Georgia to pitch in to fund MARTA, but it's equally important that that money cannot be diverted. MTA is a cautionary tale. At least that's how I read the story.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:55 PM

Anybody want to take a guess at new transit line prioritization under either mayoral candidate? Frankly, I do not trust either when it comes to transit vision, despite both stating they support Woolard's 5 lines plan.

Also, there were SO many candidates for multiple positions looking to use the TSPLOST funding on stuff other than what was on the initial list. Blew me away how many people suggested exploring legality of using it for something else.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:14 PM

Lots of transit funding in the ARC proposed project list. Some highlights:

$1.4 million for a new regional transit survey (update of 2009-2010 survey).
$4 million for Beltline from 10th/Monroe to Lindbergh
$2 million for Beltline from Glenwood to University Ave
$2 million to get GRTA XPRESS buses on the Breeze system and mobile ticketing
$11.8 million for new GRTA XPRESS routes and bus improvements
$300K for a Smyrna transit study
$200K for College Park MARTA accessibility
$4 million for new MARTA "clean" buses
$3.8 million for MARTA Edgewood Candler Park station improvements
About $6 million for Roswell Road "transit access project"
$5.8 million for Gwinnett transit enhancements

There's also quite a bit of money going to trail extensions and connections, and of course a huge amount of money going toward express lanes on several interstates (which buses will use). A lot of the transit funding will be partially matched by state and/or local money, so quite a bit of funding will be improving transit this year.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:20 PM

I’m not following this transportation plan for Atlanta well. Lots of projects not included on the maps including funded and prioritized transit projects. Different projects on the map than the draft final report, too. Either way, fun to review the proposed projects including NW corridor light rail from the Clifton corridor.

https://vhb.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...c91dc739fc#map

http://www.atlantastransportationpla...nal_Report.pdf

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:30 PM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:32 PM

Northwest corridor descriptions (there’s two options)
Northwest Regional Light Rail Transit Corridor - Marietta BLVD. / North Avenue LRT
High speed/frequent LRT service with limited stations.

Option A. Light Rail Transit on new exclusive alignment in shared right-of-way from Cobb County to Ga Tech and the Coca Cola Head Quarters, approximately via Marietta Blvd. to Marietta Street to 8th Street to Tech Parkway to Luckie Street. Then the LRT shifts to mixed flow alignment from Luckie Street to MARTA's North Avenue Station, approximately 1/2 mile, via North Avenue. The Alignment continues in mixed flow alignment to City Hall East and the Beltline, approximately 1.5 miles, via Ponce De Leon Blvd. Six potential stations in the City of Atlanta (Bolton Road, Carrol Drive, Beltline, Howell Mill, Luckie Street, MARTA's North Avenue Station, Piedmont Road, Boulevard, City Hall East (Beltline).

Option B (Stops at Moores Mill, Huff Road area, Piedmont Hospital & Lindbergh) Instead of following Marietta to the southeast into downtown, it will now take Chattahoochee Road and then curve to the north around Ellsworth Industrial Road, following Beltline rail to the Lindbergh MARTA station.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Northwest corridor descriptions (there’s two options)
Northwest Regional Light Rail Transit Corridor - Marietta BLVD. / North Avenue LRT
High speed/frequent LRT service with limited stations.
I don't think light rail will serve Cobb well, especially if they try to share the right of way with traffic.

Given downtown Marietta is 17 miles from the Arts Center station, this reminds me of the blue line in Los Angeles. When they originally built this line in 1990, they estimated it would accommodate 5,000 riders in a given day. It now accommodates 90,000 riders daily, and it over capacity. I concede that Cobb will likely have less ridership than Los Angeles, but with a partial exclusive right of way, it takes 58 minutes to go 22 miles. I gather from this that a ride from Marietta to Arts Center would take 50 minutes on LRT.

Using the timing of MARTA from North Springs to Arts Center (13 miles, 19 minutes), I think HRT will be much faster (timing would be 32 minutes) and would have a much higher capacity. The main issue would be building the line from I-75 to the Arts Center Station (using the spur/implement they built into the MARTA tunnel north of the Arts Center Station).

The other feasible option in my mind is commuter rail along the state owned line from Dalton to Atlanta, which might be more economical.

I know, I know, some want to see suburban people suffer and not have access to quality transit, but I think if Cobb is willing to pay for transit, they should get something respectable and with respectable travel times compared to car. I almost think the people picking LRT are doing so because they want this to fail.

Additionally, the references to 'City Hall East' make me think this information is outdated.

This website has some great info, although it is not run by any official government entity, just an advocacy group. They do not suggest LRT as a link to Cobb.

https://transit4cobb.org/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 11:49 PM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
, the references to 'City Hall East' make me think this information is outdated.
The wording is just a straight rip from the connect Atlanta plan a decade or so ago.

The more we dig into this “transportation plan” the more i think whatever private company that put it together did a shit job. Lots of buzzwords, very little substance once you scratch the surface. A true comprehensive transportation plan is far more detailed than the draft final report provided thus far.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:48 AM

Bus rapid transit line proposed to link Midtown, former Turner Field

Quote:
MARTA is leading a plan for a nearly $50 million project to create a 9.4-mile bus rapid transit line connecting Midtown’s Arts Center station to Summerhill, the 72-acre redevelopment of Turner Field anchored by Georgia State University.

Bookended by Arts Center Station and Summerhill, the proposed line would run along Juniper and Courtland Streets and Piedmont Avenue, according to MARTA. It may feature up to six BRT vehicles, 30 stations, 16-minute one-way travel times, and 16 hours of daily service.

It would likely use a dedicated lane for a significant portion of the loop, in contrast to the Atlanta Streetcar.

The loop could connect up to 94,000 jobs and average 8,500 daily riders, which is more than double MARTA’s busiest existing bus lines.

Carter is proposing at least 1 million square feet of office space in the Summerhill mixed-use project, otherwise known as the redevelopment of the former Turner Field, once home of the Atlanta Braves, before the team relocated to Cobb County.

At $48.6 million, the project would still be costly, a little over $5 million per mile. In contrast, however, light rail would cost at least $100 million per mile, and heavy rail more like $250 million per mile, Limmer said.

“We like this option as a near-term solution,” Limmer said. “People want solutions now.”

MARTA has led a request for a federal grant through the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery program, better known as TIGER. MARTA is seeking up to $12.5 million for the BRT loop.

In an October letter to the U.S. Department of Transportation, then-Mayor Kasim Reed said the city of Atlanta would commit up to $30 million from its TSPLOST program.

MARTA expects it may receive an answer from the feds sometime this spring.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...k-midtown.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Bus rapid transit line proposed to link Midtown, former Turner Field

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...k-midtown.html
That's interesting. I like that they are thinking of ways to increase mobility in the city and I think having dedicated lanes is critical for BRT.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:09 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham got a $20 million TIGER grant for our 10 mile BRT line. That came under the previous administration, though... Hopefully Chao's DOT will show Atlanta the same courtesy.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:13 PM

CQholt created a potential route map for the proposed BRT line. Interestingly, this also overlaps with the Hashtag BRT in the city design plan.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...744999997&z=13

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
CQholt created a potential route map for the proposed BRT line. Interestingly, this also overlaps with the Hashtag BRT in the city design plan.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...744999997&z=13
I'm not sure whether to find it embarrassing or comical the line stops short of the rest of the community. Maybe it's just to get things rolling, but man it barely reaches a new rider base other than those in Historic Midtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta