HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 11:16 PM

An urban Midtown/Downtown

Which area would be the section to live in the next 2 or 3 years?

Allen Plaza
Midtown (between 5th & 10th)
Midtown (between 11th & 15th)
Atlantic Station

Keep in mind everything that is being built and going to be built.

My personal pick will be Midtown (between 5th & 10th). Because everything is pretty much in walking distance. The park is right in front of you, AP is a 10 or 15 minute walk, and on a good day AS is not to bad of a walk.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 11:20 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Midtown is shinier, downtown more "real" in a way....I guess it depends on what appeals to you...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 1:05 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Too many Atlanta threads here. This one should at least have the "ATLANTA:" title out of respect for the other cities in the "Southern States."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 5:06 AM
Back on the road again

Here's the current breakdown in the "Southern" subforum, by number of threads

Atlanta 24
New Orleans 10
Charlotte 6
Greenville 6
Mobile 5
Greensboro 5
Baton Rouge 4
"Alabama" 3
Birmingham 2
Montgomery 2
Richmond, Asheville, Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Louisville, 1 each

Also, my personal preference I believe would be for the Allen Plaza area.

Last edited by SteveD; Apr 21, 2007 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 10:03 PM

Even as a frequent Atlanta poster - I have to agree.

We do get way too many Atlanta posts going, a lot of them not even on particular blockbuster projects, or areas, but just general speculation and theoretical questions, quality-of-life, etc. A lot of those could probably more appriately be put under the general discussion Atlanta Thread.

Then there's the Atlanta Project Thread for general construction items.

Then aside from some larger blockbluster items, like Atlantic Station or MARTA/Transit we do seem to have a lot of needless threads.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Then aside from some larger blockbluster items, like Atlantic Station or MARTA/Transit we do seem to have a lot of needless threads.
It would be nice if we can find some way to keep the connector problem on the front burner. It's really a gigantic hindrance to the recovery of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
It would be nice if we can find some way to keep the connector problem on the front burner. It's really a gigantic hindrance to the recovery of downtown.
Just when I was starting to feel sorry for you after everybody piled on about the "Andrea Connector" -- you go and stoke up the embers! I hope your Aussie friends enjoyed the view from that beatiful stretch of road. Come to think of it, I'm going to drive it tomorrow in your honor. Both ways!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 11:43 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Downtown seems to be recovering quite well, in spite of the oppressive evil of the connector.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 1:49 PM

My vote is for Allen Plaza.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 3:38 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Everything there is to say about the connector has been. That why that thread has died.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 6:37 PM

Allen Plaza will be the best.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 6:50 PM

I guess Allen Plaza will be number one.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 7:52 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
Everything there is to say about the connector has been. That why that thread has died.
More than everything really...and that damn connector has the nerve to STILL be sitting there.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 8:48 PM
Born and raised

Allen Plaza without thinking twice. Not to mention the number one community in Atlanta for years to come I think, Twelve CP is just across the street.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Everything there is to say about the connector has been.
Au contraire. There's a consensus building to turn that 1960's era dinosaur into a 21st Century urban thoroughfare. If sensible minds prevail it will likely happen within the next 25-30 years. That's not very long at all, when you consider they're saying it may be 30-40 years before the Peachtree Streetcar is rolling and a century before the Beltline is done. I probably won't be around to see any of this personally but I'd like to think we can start laying the groundwork for a modern city.

As to my Aussie friends, they were mystified. They loved the river and they loved MARTA's $1.75 fare -- it's about $15 to ride the train from the airport to downtown Sydney. They were also impressed with the old Buckhead mansions and Grant Park. As to the rest of Atlanta, well, as we know, it's not exactly what you you'll find in some other cities. When I took them down Peachtree into downtown, they asked, "Could we see the central city area?" To which I replied, "Well, this is it." They didn't get it.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 11:21 PM
Man of Many Statistics

I'll give it to you, you do keep the topic dragging on. It seems that no one is talking about until you come around. If you really want it done, do more than post on this website. Create an interest society and petition the Mayor.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I'll give it to you, you do keep the topic dragging on. It seems that no one is talking about until you come around. If you really want it done, do more than post on this website. Create an interest society and petition the Mayor.
Er, a lot of us are talking about it, Dante. I realize that many folks are invested in maintaining the status quo and are extremely defensive about anything that they fear might change the connector. But the rest of us are entitled to express an opinion, too.

Last edited by Andrea; Apr 23, 2007 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:34 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Er, a lot of us are talking about it, Dante. I realize that many folks are invested in maintaining the status quo and are extremely defensive about anything that they fear might change the connector. But the rest of us are entitled to express an opinion, too.
I hope you aren't referring to me because you aren't even on the same page with your response. In fact it can't even be called a response. Its really more of a general ranting aimed at the world. Did you lose a loved on on that thing? Or maybe you are so knee-jerk about the issue that you need to dreg it up to keep yourself going.

You are free to express your opinion of course. I don't think me saying that you should do more than post on a website is me telling you to not to post or me expressing fear about change or me even being defensive. All I was doing, really, was making the observation that the center of that argument is usually you. The "Andrea" connector is named after you after all which is fair because I'm almost certain that you are the person most passionate about the issue on these forums, if not, the internet.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:42 AM
Urban Explorer

In all fairness, Dante, Andrea has a pretty good point. While I certainly can't imagine the city without the Connector, I definitely think the quality and the urbanity of the central city would improve dramatically were it to be removed (and replaced elsewhere, of course). Sure, she gets passionate about it, but what's the big deal? Currently, all you're doing is provoking argument for the sake of argument, and turning an otherwise interesting discussion into an ad hominum attack on a well-educated Atlanta native who wants her city to be a better place.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:51 AM

I have had enough connector talk to last me several more months. Can we please move on 1)because it has been discussed to the point where everyone has made his/her points several times over and there is little new information 2)the damn thing will have zero chance of any change within the next couple of decades. The only possible change will be strategic caps.

And in response to the OP, I am think thinking 11th-14th... especially on Peachtree. How would that specific part of town be classified? Mid-Midtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta