HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 6:36 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Here in Atlanta, most people have access to everything the city has to offer at once using a car so many of the services that we enjoy are not centrally located. I live in Midtown around 14th street, so I don't especially get to go Downtown too often because I don't actually own a car and the summer heat is draining. Midtown, though, especially around Piedmont Park and Peachtree Street offers everything I could really ask for while being very different from Downtown. The feel of the place is entirely something else and I think that that type of diversity can only be achieved with some geographical separation. You can't fit everything that makes a city inside of three square miles or so. In the trying, you tend to sacrifice certain things. Also, the more whole communities there are in a city worth visiting, the more people can enjoy the amenities usually reserved for the core.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
Well everyone is entitled to there opinion but there's a lot more to ATL than downtown and it's very short-sighted to conclude a city has forgotten its roots and become souless from a short visit to a small section of the city.
However, you don't have to look very hard to find a city's soul if it's a "great city". Unfortunately, Atlanta has about the same soul as Dallas and Houston, which means very little pedestrian streetlife and inviting neighborhoods. I lived in Atlanta for 9 years, and struggled to find that soul myself.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:28 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Atlanta doesn't have inviting neighborhoods? You didn't look very hard if you missed the fabulous in-town neighborhoods here...

This "soul" thing regarding cities has always amused me. Where exactly did you search for the soul of Atlanta? Was it Centennial Park? Piedmont Park? West End? Grant Park? Five Points? Georgia State? Woodruff Park? Underground? Fairlie-Poplar? I think these areas are a good start...and there is enough character and history in these and other spots around Atlanta to give you what you were looking for. I've never had to search for any "soul" of Atlanta...it was always obvious to me.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLInATL View Post
However, you don't have to look very hard to find a city's soul if it's a "great city". Unfortunately, Atlanta has about the same soul as Dallas and Houston, which means very little pedestrian streetlife and inviting neighborhoods. I lived in Atlanta for 9 years, and struggled to find that soul myself.
So basically what you're saying is that Atlanta is not a "great city". Eh whatever, I guess it's a matter of opinion. I'm just glad I can be happy here unlike you were it sounds like.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:27 AM

Between

I would half to say between 5th & 10th that is a nice area to live in!!! I mean think about it !!! You are sort of on Georgia Techs Campus, Near Tech Square, Close to Midtown Mile, Good Resturants, among other things I mean its building up around there So that would be the area that i would wanna live in. In fact i sort of live in that area .

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 6:36 PM

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:40 PM
Westbank = Bestbank

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXbubba View Post
I have watched Atlanta rise for the past few decades and while it is a big city with an urban core, it unfortunately seems to have forgotten its Sourthern roots and has become rather souless. My wife just got back from ATL and her impression was it was just like any other big concrete city. Not sure what she expected, but she was dissappointed at the hardness of downtown with so little greenery in the public spaces and even in Olympic Plaza. Just an opinion and not meant to be derogotory to ATL.
Your wife needs to check out AtlantaTimeMachine.com and see the comparison photos. One thing that consistently amazes me is the fact that Atlanta's streets were basically treeless. In those historical photos Atlanta's streets look naked. It would appear that the city has made a conscious effort to plant trees and green the landscape. Not to mention the parks. They tore down several blocks to build Centennial Olympic Park, and also tore down about two blocks in the very heart of Downtown to build Woodruff Park. To say that Atlanta is soulless is simply not true.

My vote is for Allen Plaza.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post
Your wife needs to check out AtlantaTimeMachine.com and see the comparison photos. One thing that consistently amazes me is the fact that Atlanta's streets were basically treeless. In those historical photos Atlanta's streets look naked. It would appear that the city has made a conscious effort to plant trees and green the landscape.
Trees Atlanta can take much of the credit for that. The organization was originally created, in part, by a coalition of downtown business leaders who were disappointed with the lack of urban tree canopy.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 8:35 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking1056 View Post
Trees Atlanta can take much of the credit for that. The organization was originally created, in part, by a coalition of downtown business leaders who were disappointed with the lack of urban tree canopy.
I like the way Atlanta looked back then better than now. I think we have too many trees in some spot. New York is just fine without all the trees everywhere. I like some trees but in some spots I think its over kill.... just my opinion so don't even start blasting me for it..... lol

We need more art, fountains, and if we are gonna have greenery everywhere lets have some flowers instead of monkey grass and crap like that. What is the building next to 1010 that is shaped like a stop sign...... now that is NICE with the flowers and trees.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 8:47 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Well here are some examples of what I wish Atlanta would do....

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
I like the way Atlanta looked back then better than now. I think we have too many trees in some spot. New York is just fine without all the trees everywhere. I like some trees but in some spots I think its over kill.... just my opinion so don't even start blasting me for it..... lol
I can respect your opinion for aesthetic reasons (though I disagree), but it's important to remember the countless other benefits urban forestry provides beyond aesthetics: increase air quality, decrease impermeable surfaces allowing better rainwater collection, lower sidewalk temperatures, reducing the heat island effect, reducing heating and cooling costs for buildings, and so on...

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 12:56 PM

the transition of west peachtree's streetscape; new lighting, on street parking and trees (i think chinese elms) is amazing.

in two short years the street has changed dratically (IMHO) in no small part to the choice of and placement of trees as part of the streetscape. if in fact they are chinese elms, they are fast growers, drought tollerant and suited for an urban streetscape environment.

i don't have an before/after pics, but i have certainly noticed.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
the transition of west peachtree's streetscape; new lighting, on street parking and trees (i think chinese elms) is amazing.

in two short years the street has changed dratically (IMHO) in no small part to the choice of and placement of trees as part of the streetscape. if in fact they are chinese elms, they are fast growers, drought tollerant and suited for an urban streetscape environment.

i don't have an before/after pics, but i have certainly noticed.
Agreed -- I've noticed some great improvements in the W Peachtree streetscape from Technology Square up north to 10th Street. It's a really nice area to walk around. My main complaint is about the ginormous surface parking lot southwest of the Midtown MARTA station, off W Peachtree. That's a bad use of the space and an eyesore -- especially considering how nice that corridor could be given the boost by the Plaza Midtown building.

Otherwise, I'm really impressed with the improvements in that whole corridor. One of the best parts: buried utility wires.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 2:08 PM

ya that marta parking lot has to be the worst in midtown/downtown

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:56 PM

I would love to see W Peachtree turned into a one way street, but who knows if that'll ever happen. Also, the black building next to the Palomar is so amazingly hostile it should be preserved as an example of how not to build.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:11 PM

you mean two way? W. Peachtree is already one way.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
I would love to see W Peachtree turned into a one way street, but who knows if that'll ever happen. Also, the black building next to the Palomar is so amazingly hostile it should be preserved as an example of how not to build.
I'm assuming you meant two way. In the Connect Atlanta Plan, I believe W. Peachtree is one of the streets planned for conversion to two way.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 7:52 PM

Whoops!! Yes I meant two way lol. I know the Connect Atlanta Plan recommends this, but I'm waiting to see if it gets off the drawing board. I thought I heard a while back that there was a lot of resistance from I think the DOT - aren't Spring and W Peachtree state highways?

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Whoops!! Yes I meant two way lol. I know the Connect Atlanta Plan recommends this, but I'm waiting to see if it gets off the drawing board. I thought I heard a while back that there was a lot of resistance from I think the DOT - aren't Spring and W Peachtree state highways?
Only north of 14th.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 8:11 AM

As someone who walks this area of W Peachtree daily (10th-5th streets) I appreciate more and more each day what is happening. I truly believe that turning W Peachtree into a two-way will bring more people to the area. On the flip-side it would be just as good to allow unfettered parking along the street. Then those who are patronising the restaurants and hotels in the area would feel free to park their vehicles which, in turn, makes pedestrians feel safer and more prone to walking along the sidewalks thereby increasing street presence. A two-way road is great but I truly believe that W Peachtree is too small for that. Ideally, parking on both sides of the street with two lanes in each direction would be most awesome. But since our roads in Atlanta are technically quite small we can not do this. The ultimate answer would be to two-way the entire length and then have parking on both sides, but that would slow down the driving speeds to the point of creating gridlock in Midtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta