HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTviajero81 View Post
The ultimate answer would be to two-way the entire length and then have parking on both sides, but that would slow down the driving speeds to the point of creating gridlock in Midtown.
Actually it may increase capacity. It is well documented that two 2-lane streets carry more vehicles than one 4 lane street.

Even if delay does increase, the bigger issue is whether or not we should design our cities for the two vehicular peak hours of the average day, or the 22 other.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Even if delay does increase, the bigger issue is whether or not we should design our cities for the two vehicular peak hours of the average day, or the 22 other.
Yes. And if drivers experience some delay during peak hours, perhaps they will look to other ways of getting around.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 1:44 PM

Even if traffic capacity falls, I think the health of the city and its inhabitants should come first. These are main throughfares throughout Midtown, but they should not be treated as highways. That's the purpose of the Downtown connector. There should be some streets in Midtown and Downtown that serve the city first.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plorenc View Post
Even if traffic capacity falls, I think the health of the city and its inhabitants should come first. These are main throughfares throughout Midtown, but they should not be treated as highways. That's the purpose of the Downtown connector. There should be some streets in Midtown and Downtown that serve the city first.
well said.

i recall seeing a long term redesign of w. peachtree and how it would provide access/egress with the connector around 17th street.

i can't find it, but it may have been a midtown alliance, blueprint initiative or even a private initiative.

anyway, it called for a 2-way w. peachtree and fewer 'expressway' style connections to the connecter in favor of shorter and more controlled access points connecting to a renewed grid west of peachtree and east of the connector.

whatever the source, it is exciting and refreshing proposal.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
well said.

i recall seeing a long term redesign of w. peachtree and how it would provide access/egress with the connector around 17th street.

i can't find it, but it may have been a midtown alliance, blueprint initiative or even a private initiative.

anyway, it called for a 2-way w. peachtree and fewer 'expressway' style connections to the connecter in favor of shorter and more controlled access points connecting to a renewed grid west of peachtree and east of the connector.

whatever the source, it is exciting and refreshing proposal.
You may be referring to the Connect Atlanta plan which recommends taking W Peachtree from this....

to something like this.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 4:21 AM

thnx smArTaLlone, thats exactly what i was thinking of.

looks like a great plan with attributes that would be beneficial all along the downtown connector north and south of downtown. obviously much focus went into smart land use and creating a grid that evokes a livable and attractive environment that doesn't feel like freeway exit ramps cutting through the city.

like plorenc mentioned, even if capacity is throttled down a bit by converting 1-ways into 2-ways, the resulting environment would benefit that part of the city along with area businesses and residents.

i wonder if there's much hope for the connect atlanta projects to come to life anytime soon.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plorenc View Post

Well put. Pretty much every day I find that cross-walks on W. Ptree and Juniper are putting me in mortal danger. This is just for a sandwich at lunch, folks! We're talking 50 miles per hour through midtown -- most every vehicle goes that fast on these two roads whenever they can. Peachtree, North, 10th and 14th are far better behaved just because they are two-way. We should be beyond Herbert Jenkins' 1950's dream of one-way streets to speed auto traffic through the city. (and BTW, I love Cap. Jenkins!)

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Well put. Pretty much every day I find that cross-walks on W. Ptree and Juniper are putting me in mortal danger.
I love how the on-street parking has been put on Juniper south of 10th. It has made it much less of a car sewer. I wish the city would enact a similar treatment on all the four lane one-way streets at off-peak hours. Not only would it enhance pedestrian safety, but it would also make surface parking less needed and less profitable.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Actually it may increase capacity. It is well documented that two 2-lane streets carry more vehicles than one 4 lane street.

No they don't, one-way streets always have higher capacity because there are less movements to service at signalized intersections. It's a three phase intersection instead of four, and less signal phases=less delay.

We design for peak hours so that those hours aren't spread to several more hours throughout the day. I wouldn't want to walk down W. Peachtree if it was completely gridlocked, would you? Can you imagine the amount of smog?!?! I walk Spring and W. Peachtree regularly and it's really not the racetrack some of you describe. I'm all for pedestrian friendliness but don't let one speeder ruin traffic conditions for everybody.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Yes. And if drivers experience some delay during peak hours, perhaps they will look to other ways of getting around.
Or look for other locations with less delay during peak hours.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I love how the on-street parking has been put on Juniper south of 10th. It has made it much less of a car sewer. I wish the city would enact a similar treatment on all the four lane one-way streets at off-peak hours. Not only would it enhance pedestrian safety, but it would also make surface parking less needed and less profitable.

I agree. Its a much needed and welcome change.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
No they don't, one-way streets always have higher capacity because there are less movements to service at signalized intersections. It's a three phase intersection instead of four, and less signal phases=less delay.
Ooops...I spoke too quickly. I forgot the one-way component. I was thinking of two 2-lane roadways versus one 4-lane one. In the Midtown case the number of lanes and streets are constant, only the direction would change.

Sorry.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
help me out. isn't any time saved by not having to get to the one-way street to begin with?

and aren't spring and w. peach just quickly bringing you to bottlenecks during rush hour. in the grand scheme of things, does it really help move people at 5pm? Spring is backed up every rush hour. seems like it saves time when saving time isn't an issue.

even if OW is more efficient, it really detracts from the sense of place IMHO. and i live on Spring and W. Peach.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 12:39 PM

^It's not just Spring and W. Peach that benefit, it's all the cross streets too. The signals are much easier to coordinate and the intersections are safer.

If you want to know all the benefits of one-way pairs, then google it.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 4:31 AM

In addition to approving the transfer of $25 million to Marta, the ARC board also approved funding a list of projects with stimulus money including some in the city.
  • 14th Street sidewalk improvements from West Peachtree Street to Piedmont Avenue.
  • Pedestrian improvements on Marietta Street and Centennial Olympic Park Drive. (Marietta-COP summary)
  • Farlie Poplar streetscape improvements on Nassau Street and Walton Street.
  • Midtown signal and ADA ramp improvements at twelve locations.

Full list of ARC projects

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 4:40 AM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
In addition to approving the transfer of $25 million to Marta, the ARC board also approved funding a list of projects with stimulus money including some in the city.
  • 14th Street sidewalk improvements from West Peachtree Street to Piedmont Avenue.
  • Pedestrian improvements on Marietta Street and Centennial Olympic Park Drive. (Marietta-COP summary)
  • Farlie Poplar streetscape improvements on Nassau Street and Walton Street.
  • Midtown signal and ADA ramp improvements at twelve locations.

Full list of ARC projects
Well this is good! So will that money help Marta or is that amount not really all that much considering how much everything cost them?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 4:07 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned here but the city is finally moving forward with the plan to improve the flea market appearance of the street vendors around town. They hope to begin the program in August

Kiosk plan charges vendors a $500 fee

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 5:12 PM

Are these just isolated incidents or is there actually a problem? If so, who's responsible for these attacks and what can be done to stop them?

Georgia Tech robberies continue: 2 students held up

Last edited by cybele; Jun 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 10:45 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Are these just isolated incidents or is there actually a problem? If so, who's responsible for these attacks and what can be done to stop them?

Georgia Tech robberies continue: 2 students held up
I actually knew the student from GSU that was shot. Crazy stuff...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Not isolated. Not at all. Not even a little. My husband (at the time) was in grad school at GT from 2000 to 2002. He was robbed in front of a house on Hampton street the very same way not long before he graduated. One guy jumped out and held a knife to his throat while the other guy waited in the car. Home Park is (or at least was while I knew people living there) notorious for being a car break-in/mugging/kick in your back door and steal your stuff while you're gone hot spot. It's beyond ridiculous that's it's not only continued for the better part of a decade now, but is becoming so much more violent.

The same problem plagues residential areas heavily populated by students in rental housing in every large city I've lived in. Those people know that kids are coming home at all hours of the night, (sometimes after drinking), frequently aren't paying attention to their surroundings and are likely to be carrying/wearing something expensive or have expensive stuff in the house or the car.

Some of it is environmental also. If things haven't changed since I was spending time over there, many of the owners of rental houses in that neighborhood aren't exactly super-meticulous about keeping shrubbery trimmed and the porches and yards well-lit. The street lighting wasn't exactly top-notch, that I remember, either.

I hate it not only because it's just foul to steal from and shoot people, but also because it maligns the whole city when college students aren't even safe a block from campus. (No one is really ever "safe" anywhere, but you know what I mean.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta