HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 6:07 PM

I just found a cool video with what looks like a similar transit park in The Hague

http://www.vimeo.com/1118400

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigstigGT View Post
I have some friends who have Ryan Gravel for an adviser in architecture at GT and apparently the politicians have killed the original idea. The land grabs by developers and corruption of city government have made the proposal impossible to implement at this point. Now that the city is millions in debt and TADs are not possible, the public transit portion of this proposal looks like it will not be implemented.

Though do look for a lot more multimodal transportation proposals, since the feds are going to start giving more grants and money to an interstate rail infrastructure (to try to minimize oil demands...in combination with the new mpg regulations)...this will either be announced as a last hurrah by bush, or by whoever is elected into office.
The increase in MPG and the vetoing the farm bill are the only 2 smart things that Bush have done.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 2:17 AM
Reliable Source

Did Bush really veto the farm bill? That's great.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Did Bush really veto the farm bill? That's great.
Yeah, but it had enough overriding votes though. So, I'm not sure at this point.

Last edited by Dragonheart8588; Jun 6, 2008 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:21 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Barack Obama... the candidate that no one ever thinks has a chance or deserves any credit or respect...

I think a democratic administration will be more willing to substantially redirect funds into mass transit. Perhaps the Beltline can get federal assistance.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
Barack Obama... the candidate that no one ever thinks has a chance or deserves any credit or respect...

I think a democratic administration will be more willing to substantially redirect funds into mass transit. Perhaps the Beltline can get federal assistance.
I think the ironic thing is that the Beltline hire the manager from the Big Dig project, which scarred the Fed by its ballooning budget and delays.

I'm afraid that the Fed won't be putting that much money in these kind of projects like it did with the Big Dig.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post

Since these two gentlemen think they are capable of leading the entire free world, you'd think one of them would have the gumption to get up on his hind legs and start making noise about transit. If they can't even get transit built right here in our own country, how in the devil do they expect to deal with the Islamo-Fascists?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Since these two gentlemen think they are capable of leading the entire free world, you'd think one of them would have the gumption to get up on his hind legs and start making noise about transit. If they can't even get transit built right here in our own country, how in the devil do they expect to deal with the Islamo-Fascists?

What happened to the dramatic declaration that you were leaving, Andrea? That didn't take long for you to reverse your decision.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:51 PM

Some things can't go without comment, megalopolis. As to drama, I'll leave those interpretations to you. It's not my style.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 7:10 PM

Ahhhh, this is a great friday for thinking people. High gas prices means SUV drivers get burnt.. ahh, feels so good!!!

They might have to start this beltline quicker than expected!!

www.civiltips.com

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 8:18 PM
Reliable Source

Andrea, it's wonderful to have you back. The best defense is a good offense.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 8:55 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Obama is the only candidate to list "Urban Policy" under his platform:

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ur...ral-commitment

One quick blurb from the site:
"Build More Livable and Sustainable Communities: Our communities will better serve all of their residents if we are able to leave our cars, to walk, bicycle and access other transportation alternatives. As president, Barack Obama will re-evaluate the transportation funding process to ensure that smart growth considerations are taken into account."

Re: the Big Dig: the guy they recently hired for the Beltline directed the design of the Beltline; the funding and construction was the part that ended in debacle, so I don't see how the two are related, other than simply being part of the same project, albeit in different facets.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Welcome back!
Unfortunately, I think the federal executive branch has little to say about mass transit (relative to state executives); Islamo-fascists are technically more in their purview.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 10:01 PM

We need another UMTA. Those 1964 dollars would provide $200 billion in mass transportation money today.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 10:51 PM
Reliable Source

Well, you know I'm in favor of building the private sector not the government sector. A lot of what goes to DC stays in DC.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Well, you know I'm in favor of building the private sector not the government sector. A lot of what goes to DC stays in DC.
So you saying are that Obama can expect a large campaign contribution from you Fiorenza?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 12:43 AM
Reliable Source

I voted for Carter in 1976 based on his BS about changing government - sunset legislation, zero-based budgeting, etc. I see Obama as another Carter, and I'm not making the same mistake twice. When Carter's term was over the US was suffering from stagflation and high misery index, and his fine words, prepared by a fine speechwriter, were all for nothing. This time, I say let the old man handle it. If we're in a socioeconomic decline, at least I'll feel better about it. By the way, The Byrd is 19 years older than McCain, who is 71. There are 6 members of the Senate who are over 80. Ted Kennedy is 76. So age means nothing when you are entitled to the best medical treatment in the world.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 3:54 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
I voted for Carter in 1976 based on his BS about changing government - sunset legislation, zero-based budgeting, etc. I see Obama as another Carter, and I'm not making the same mistake twice. When Carter's term was over the US was suffering from stagflation and high misery index, and his fine words, prepared by a fine speechwriter, were all for nothing. This time, I say let the old man handle it. If we're in a socioeconomic decline, at least I'll feel better about it. By the way, The Byrd is 19 years older than McCain, who is 71. There are 6 members of the Senate who are over 80. Ted Kennedy is 76. So age means nothing when you are entitled to the best medical treatment in the world.
Okay, you are implying that Obama has no words of his own and is incapable of writing his own speech. Unfortunately, Obama is actually quite literate if you've read his books. His race speech, for example was something he hammered out in one night on his own.

This is what I mean about people never giving him credit. Every time his name comes up people assume he is inept or something despite all the evidence to the contrary. I remember you telling me that Obama couldn't win because there were not enough southern states left. No one ever questioned Hillary or anyone else for that matter. No one was sure of anything at all when this all began except that Obama had no chance in hell which of course was just wishful thinking and cynicism.

No one seems to mind McCain's speech writers and no one seems to question McCain's call for change. It is just Obama we can't trust and it is Obama who can only read speeches.

I really do suggest that you read the Audacity of Hope. Obama isn't radical or proposing anything drastic. He is proposing the democratic agenda. You can disagree with that all you like, but it has nothing to do with age. The only difference is that he doesn't have any lobbies or special interests to pander to or slow down bills or warp his agenda.

If you are worried about the modern economy, one would assume you wouldn't be supporting the continuation of the policies that got us here. Trust me, an old person is not automatically the right person. Please actually read his policies before you decide you are against them. Also it would do to note McCain's lack of policies regarding a dozen issues addressed in Obama's issue page. McCain's entire economic policy is providing tax cuts. If you really think thats all that is wrong with the economy, that it is over-taxed, well then point taken. If you think that more is going on, join me on a trip to actual policy land.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

You know stagflation is better than recessionflation if that was the worse case.

Last note for kicks, the Democratic Party as of Wednesday stopped taking money from lobbies on Obama's order as new leader of the party. Hmm, well government has been changed, whats left not to believe?

Last edited by dante2308; Jun 7, 2008 at 4:04 AM. Reason: well, partisan politics on forums and all. Might as well make a lengthy point

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:04 AM
Reliable Source

Another thing, I don't trust politicians made by the Chicago machine. However, my main problem with Obama is he's looking for more government to fix the economy and whatever. In my book, government doesn't fix problems....government is the problem! Anyway, I hope the public has a chance to understand both philosophies, that both candidates get a fair hearing in the media. Let's have some debates where the candidates put questions to each other, not staged media events with manipulated questions either. The purpose of an election season is for the electorate to become informed on the alternative policies.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:21 AM

Chicago's true windy city.

I hope everyone knows why Chicago is known for its nickname as the Windy City right? It is not because it is actually windy.

No one is questioning McCain and Hilary speeches because most people know that these speech are from highly skilled speech writers.

However, what worry me is that people who are obsessed with Obama doesn't seem to question him very much.

No one is saying Obama is inept. It is more like that he have as many people that are in business of running a campaign for the like of McCain and Hilary. Therefore, I have to take what they said with a grain of salt and this coming from a person that is straddling the fence.

I may not even vote this election. I have major concerns for both of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta