HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plorenc View Post
You know that there are still plenty of surface parking lots in Midtown, many even on Peachtree.
Well, it's too bad they couldn't have just left up whatever was there so it could be adaptive reused for the time being instead of just turning into a parking lot. I guess you save big on insurance and property taxes by tearing stuff down plus you get all the money from parking but it would look better if something was there.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 4:09 PM

Sunny day in midtown

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 4:11 PM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 7:21 PM

Quote:
You know that there are still plenty of surface parking lots in Midtown, many even on Peachtree.
It certainly isn't Manhattan (nor do I want it to be) but I'm not exactly sure where the "holes" are located. Anyway...next photo...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
It certainly isn't Manhattan (nor do I want it to be) but I'm not exactly sure where the "holes" are located. Anyway...next photo...
I don't think anyone wants Midtown to be Manhattan. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of gaps in the urban fabric (which mostly consist of surface parking lots) in Midtown, hampering its walkability, vibrancy and livability. Don't get me wrong, Midtown is shaping up to be one of this best urban areas in Atlanta (even without being Manhattan), but there are still many "knocked out teeth" in the urban fabric.

Agreed, next photo.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone wants Midtown to be Manhattan. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of gaps in the urban fabric (which mostly consist of surface parking lots) in Midtown, hampering its walkability, vibrancy and livability. Don't get me wrong, Midtown is shaping up to be one of this best urban areas in Atlanta (even without being Manhattan), but there are still many "knocked out teeth" in the urban fabric.

Agreed, next photo.
Where exactly are all of these supposed surface parking lots along Peachtree Street? I really can think of VERY few such places...there is a small one at Emory Midtown and one near 12th and Midtown - but that certainly doesn't constitue "plenty".

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 3:33 AM

Well I would say there is quite a few, like that thing across from the museum and the one where the 1400 situation was going. Then there is 10th street and North Avenue and the place next to the Woman's club and whatnot. Somebody ought to go along and count to be sure but there is probably others.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 3:58 AM

next to bulldog's is a crummy lot.then a crummy lot next to 805 peachtree. then Cypress St is filled with shady people because it's just surface lots.

Midtown is as much empty surface lots as anything else. Spring St and W. Peachtree are horrible. These lots need to be turned into greenspace. Then the surrounding property will increase in value. But people are obsessed with the idea that there's all these companies and restaurants that will take up every block with skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:04 PM

Crossing the connecteor headed N approaching our beloved Pine St. shelter on the left is my fave. Ga Power building is in a sea of pavement.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
next to bulldog's is a crummy lot.then a crummy lot next to 805 peachtree. then Cypress St is filled with shady people because it's just surface lots.

Midtown is as much empty surface lots as anything else. Spring St and W. Peachtree are horrible. These lots need to be turned into greenspace. Then the surrounding property will increase in value. But people are obsessed with the idea that there's all these companies and restaurants that will take up every block with skyscrapers.
The original statement was, "You know that there are still plenty of surface parking lots in Midtown, many even on Peachtree."

I challenged the "many even on Peachtree" part of this statement because there are very few surface lots on Peachtree Street in Midtown (at least that I'm aware of). I didn't say there aren't any, and I didn't say that Midtown doesn't have it's share.

You named TWO...I wouldn't call that "many".

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well I would say there is quite a few, like that thing across from the museum and the one where the 1400 situation was going. Then there is 10th street and North Avenue and the place next to the Woman's club and whatnot. Somebody ought to go along and count to be sure but there is probably others.
Those are vacant lots, not parking lots.

I realize there are spots along Peachtree Street that aren't filled with highrises, but most of them ARE developed with something other than a surface lot...very few are "holes".

There are a handful that have been cleared and readied for development - which is another subject entirely and is common in many cities around the country due to economic conditions. Let's give thanks that we don't have any half-finished buildings sitting idle to mess up our skyline.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 6:06 PM

These should be easy to count along Peachtree. Let's go to the video tape! Er, Google Maps:

At North is an empty lot--Cousins' Fox Plaza location;
at Ponce, surface parking next to the Windsor Condos;
at 3rd, surface parking next to the Fox;
at 4th, surface parking across from the Lutheran Church;
at 6th, surface parking on the east side of Peachtree;
at 7th, surface parking next to Bulldogs;
at 12th, an empty lot of sorts--construction shacks for 12th & Midtown;
at 13th, surface parking next to The Atlanta Woman's Club;
between 15th & 16th, an empty lot where Weiland's condos didn't get built;
at 17th, an empty lot across from Vespucci's.

That's about Pershing Point, and I think that's it for midtown.

I suppose you could also mark the parking in front of the FDA building & in front of Noodle, Little Azio shopping center.

Is it a lot (of lots)? I don't know. Some stretches seem a little empty, but much of Midtown seems nicely filled in, despite the occasional blank facade or massive front plaza.

Quote:
The original statement was, "You know that there are still plenty of surface parking lots in Midtown, many even on Peachtree."

I challenged the "many even on Peachtree" part of this statement because there are very few surface lots on Peachtree Street in Midtown (at least that I'm aware of). I didn't say there aren't any, and I didn't say that Midtown doesn't have it's share.

You named TWO...I wouldn't call that "many".

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 6:52 PM

I would say that your total is very few surface lots considering the overall number of parcels along Peachtree in Midtown...and several of them are very small ones. Anyway, that was the point I was trying to make and didn't mean for it to take away from the thread.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 7:07 PM

Quote:
I would say that your total is very few surface lots considering the overall number of parcels along Peachtree in Midtown...and several of them are very small ones. Anyway, that was the point I was trying to make and didn't mean for it to take away from the thread.
I think we can all agree that Midtown is filling in very nicely.

However, I think we can also agree that there are still parking lots and vacant lots that should be developed into mixed use projects to further boost Midtown's vibrancy and walkability.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 7:52 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
I think we can all agree...
Where's the fun in that?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I think we can all agree that Midtown is filling in very nicely.

However, I think we can also agree that there are still parking lots and vacant lots that should be developed into mixed use projects to further boost Midtown's vibrancy and walkability.

But...as I already stated, the parking lots are very few along Peachtree Street. Surface lots don't bother me as long as they are few in number. Sometimes I need a convenient place to park my ride.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 1:16 AM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 1:04 AM

Buckhead

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 2:08 AM

That amazing photo above is my netbook's wallpaper. Looking forward to being a resident, soon enough.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 8:11 PM

Wow, both of those are amazing! For some reason I've never seen a shot from Georgia Tech's stadium. Very nice

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta