HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:26 PM

The Atlanta Business Chronicle says that a new farm-to-table style "meat and three" restaurant is coming to 999 Peachtree. It's called Empire State So. The chef, Hugh Acheson, was nominated for a James Beard award in 2007.

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...wscolumn2.html

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 11:01 PM

Last edited by cybele; Sep 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 1:13 PM

Wrong thread again.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 2:08 PM

anyway, to answer the above...

Athens’ Hugh Acheson to open Atlanta restaurant

Three-time James Beard Award nominee Hugh Acheson of Athen’s Five & Ten, The National and Gosford Wine will open his first Atlanta restaurant, to be called Empire State So., at 999 Peachtree Street next spring.

Awesome news. Meanwhile, "The Dew" bides his time...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Meanwhile, "The Dew" bides his time...
Can you elaborate on this? Is this referring to a specific Dewberry project?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
anyway, to answer the above...

Athens’ Hugh Acheson to open Atlanta restaurant

Three-time James Beard Award nominee Hugh Acheson of Athen’s Five & Ten, The National and Gosford Wine will open his first Atlanta restaurant, to be called Empire State So., at 999 Peachtree Street next spring.
This is great news.. His two resturants in Athens are amazing. I may be biased because I used to work there but whatever.. It's going to be spectacular!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:32 PM
i ain't no bubba

This week's AJC.com mentioned 2 restaurants that will be closing in the next few weeks...The Dining Room at The Ritz-Carlon in Buckhead and Wolfgang Puck Express in Brookwood. While at different ends of the dining spectrum, its unfortuate to see either go.

One of the best newer places I've found is The Social on West Peachtree Place (behing Allen Plaza & FAB).
http://www.socialintown.com/
I've been several times and anyone who has gone along has enjoyed the meal as well. The restaurant is seldom busy, even on weekend evenings, which I would guess is due to nothing more than a somewhat funky location. The food is excellent and very reasonable priced for the quality, similar to Top Flr on Myrtle Street in Midtown. If you like calamari, try it here.
I hope they can survive on the lunch business until evenings pick up!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 6:00 PM

The news about the Dining Room is a pretty shocking.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
One of the best newer places I've found is The Social on West Peachtree Place (behing Allen Plaza & FAB).
Oh yes, Social is awesome. I was just there last night and had excellent mussels. I was also there a few weeks ago for my wife's birthday with a group of folks and everyone loved it.

They do good business when there is convention traffic downtown, but you're right about it being slow in the evenings at other times -- and that's a shame for such a great neighborhood-style restaurant like this. I hope the location doesn't hurt them. I've enjoyed walking around the nice Ivan Allen area after eating there or walking down Peachtree for some people watching fun with the tourists.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 3:50 PM

Just wanted to mention that the best fish tacos in town (that we have found anyway) are at Taqueria Los Hermanos at 29 and Killian Hill. Nice vibe, too.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Just wanted to mention that the best fish tacos in town (that we have found anyway) are at Taqueria Los Hermanos at 29 and Killian Hill. Nice vibe, too.
Ellos tienen tacos buenos de pez. Yo también quiero su sopa de maíz de pollo y tres exprimen bizcocho.

Yo todavía pienso que los mejores tacos de pez en el pueblo pueden ser encontrados en taqueria del sol. Agregue un lado de ensalada de col de jalapeno, el nabo verde y un margarita y usted es bueno ir.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 5:28 PM

Taqueria del Sol is terrific. But we're partial to that tartar sauce thing that Los Hermanos does. I sort of like the unpretentiousness of it, too. Lo que ves es lo que obtienes.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Taqueria del Sol is terrific. But we're partial to that tartar sauce thing that Los Hermanos does. I sort of like the unpretentiousness of it, too. Lo que ves es lo que obtienes.
agreed, los hermanos is focused on the food and they're very consistent. honestly i probably knock off a few points because they're so far out in the suburbs, i only go when visiting family in lilburn and/or braselton.

on the other hand, i give a few points to TDS for locating in and thriving in urban/semi-urban locations.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
agreed, los hermanos is focused on the food and they're very consistent. honestly i probably knock off a few points because they're so far out in the suburbs, i only go when visiting family in lilburn and/or braselton.

on the other hand, i give a few points to TDS for locating in and thriving in urban/semi-urban locations.
True. It's interesting that you tend to get a more homogenous crowd in the intown locations these days. Diversity has moved to the burbs.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 3:27 PM

new restaurants...

we need to get this forum moving...

This place has just opened in the Sweet Auburn Curb Market:
http://www.grindhouseburgers.com
This is just another link in the chain that will help connect the GSU dorms with the rest of the campus.

This just opened in Terminus:
Emerald Coast Coffee
http://www.emeraldcoastcoffee.com

West Midtown:
Bocado
http://www.bocadoatlanta.com/

2nd location of Chocolate Bar now in downtown on Trinity:
Chocolate Bar
http://www.thechocolatebardecatur.com

West Midtown:
Urban pL8
http://www.urbanpl8.com

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:37 PM

Publik--formerly Bazzaar--has just opened following the renovation/conversion. The chalkboard menu appears sort of gastro-pub-y, but I have yet to try it out.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
Publik--formerly Bazzaar--has just opened following the renovation/conversion. The chalkboard menu appears sort of gastro-pub-y, but I have yet to try it out.
Wow, that was fast. I'll have to walk over there to see if they have a decent beer list.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Wow, that was fast. I'll have to walk over there to see if they have a decent beer list.
As it happens, and prompted by my own post, my wife & I tried it last night. It is a gastro-pub, with fried oysters & crab cakes as well as several sandwiches & paninis on the menu. The specials included bangers & mash and chicken pot pie.

I enjoyed the fish & chips (fries) on the main menu--the fish light & not too oily, and my wife tried the chicken pot pie from the specials. She didn't care for the heavy rosemary, which I had to agree bordered on making the dish one-note.

They're still installing their taps, but have a pretty lengthy, eclectic list of beer in bottles & cans. I enjoyed a Longmont, Colorado pils I'd never heard of (alas, the name is since forgotten).

It may make an excellent neighborhood pub, though it did get a little hectic when the show crowd filled it up.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 5:01 PM

Not exactly restaurant news, but Coca Cola is testing their new "Freestyle" machine in the Atlanta market at various Firehouse Sub, Subway, Wendy's and other locations.

http://www.facebook.com/cocacolafreestyle

"Coca-Cola Freestyle™ is the brand name for a new Coca-Cola fountain dispenser that uses microdosing technology to dispense more than 100 sparkling and still beverage brands from a single freestanding unit. The new unit has approximately the same footprint as today’s six-or eight-valve dispensers. Coca-Cola Freestyle™, the first in a family of new dispensers, creates branded beverages by blending concentrated ingredients with water and sweetener at the point where the beverage is dispensed via proprietary PurePour Technology™. It does not use syrup, but instead uses concentrated ingredients stored in cartridges in the dispenser cabinet."

Apparently you can get anything ranging from a Caffeine-free Diet Coke with Orange to a Minute Maid Light Cherry Lemonade, as well as 16 types of PowerAde and 12 different kinds of Sprite.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 7:29 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Apparently you can get anything ranging from a Caffeine-free Diet Coke with Orange to a Minute Maid Light Cherry Lemonade, as well as 16 types of PowerAde and 12 different kinds of Sprite.
I can picture the crowd gathered in front of the machine poking their boney fingers at different buttons until they get just the right combination of 'concentrated ingredients' to make (what they consider to be) the perfect drink.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta