HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Don't we have intown apartment inventory to last until the next century?

I'd rather see people buying existing condos or renting existing apartments.

It's pretty close to the last thing we need. Especially "luxury" apartments.
I have a friend that's renting over on highland where all those new apartments are around the beltline. He'd been thinking about downsizing his apartment from a one bedroom to a studio, in the same complex. Which oddly enough aren't that different, almost the same square footage, but the one bedroom has a walled off bedroom, and in the studio the walls just missing. When his lease came up he noticed they were they were advertising at much lower rents, so they lowered his rent AND gave him a "loyalty" bonus for resigning, and staying where he was.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 1:24 AM

Well, it looks like they are coming along on the health museum thing.

National Health Museum President Provides Update on Attraction

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:06 PM

Toyoko Inn Still in Works for Downtown Atlanta

Skyline Views blog had this excerpts from The Wall Street Journal regarding Toyoko Inn's future plans.

Quote:
After that (opening NY hotel), Toyoko will turn its focus to downtown sites it bought in recent years in Chicago and Atlanta. Toyoko ultimately envisions a 500-room hotel on Chicago's Clinton Street and a 700-room hotel on Atlanta's Forsyth Street.
Toyoko Inn Still in Works for Downtown Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 7:47 PM

Well, this says the 3630 thing down in Buckhead is about to sign up some big ad agency, which I guess is good.

JWT nears 3630 Peachtree lease

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well, this says the 3630 thing down in Buckhead is about to sign up some big ad agency, which I guess is good.

JWT nears 3630 Peachtree lease
Wonder if it's a net upsize or downsize for them? Ad agencies are hurting these days.

When I google them it seems their office is up off 400 between Sandy Springs and Dunwoody - so I guess this would be considered a move back "intown" for them.

I remember when they used to be the anchor tennant in that really cool midcentry building at Peachtree and North (the one they tore down for the FOX tower that was never built). That was when they did a lot of work for Coca-Cola.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 6:12 PM

Well if it is the same as the J. Walter Thompson thing we went to their headquarters up in New York City one time and it was quite a situation like a TV show or something. People running around all over real busy and so forth. But I don't know if it is the same.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 6:02 PM

Condos come off the sidelines and into the market

Quote:
After more than a year in housing bubble limbo, units in two high-profile metro Atlanta condo towers are about to hit the market.

ST Residential, an asset management company led by Starwood Capital Group, this month will open sales centers at The Atlantic, in Atlantic Station, and The Brookwood, in south Buckhead. The Chicago-based company will also open a sales office in Serrano, a 150-unit Mediterranean style condo in Sandy Springs.

All three buildings were taken off the market before a single unit was sold.
Condos come off the sidelines and into the market - AJC

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 6:10 PM

Green Street, Jamestown File Plans for Huge Mixed-Use Development on Chattahoochee

Green Street, which was acquired by Jamestown Properties in 2008, plans to build a large mixed-use development on 87 acres along the Chattahoochee River in Cobb County with 240,000 square feet of commercial space and 2,180 residential units. The DRI application projects a completion date of 2017.

Riverview on the Chattahoochee

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I registered about a month ago just so I could comment on your link. I frequent that part of town because it's the closest Target and I usually take Morosgo Drive (where the remnants of Skyline are) to get there, and I think no one will ever want to live there because of the location. All along that road you have up to 100 Mexicans just loitering around looking for day labor. As I drive past they'll make gestures at me like anyone that goes on that road is looking to build a new deck or something. I just don't see how it's a good location for "luxury" apartments.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtguy View Post
I registered about a month ago just so I could comment on your link. I frequent that part of town because it's the closest Target and I usually take Morosgo Drive (where the remnants of Skyline are) to get there, and I think no one will ever want to live there because of the location. All along that road you have up to 100 Mexicans just loitering around looking for day labor. As I drive past they'll make gestures at me like anyone that goes on that road is looking to build a new deck or something. I just don't see how it's a good location for "luxury" apartments.
Those guys aren't going to be there forever. When the economy improves enough for someone to actually start building on that Skyline site again, what remains of that rather shabby apartment complex on Morosgo is probably going to be demolished and replaced with something much more expensive, effectively pricing the work-seekers who live there out of the neighborhood.

BUT, anywhere there's an HD, there will always be guys looking for work and I doubt that everyone who's out there lives in those apartments. I'm sure that the security people at whatever-they-build-where-the-apartments-used-to-be won't let them stand on that sidewalk where they are now, but they're going to be around there someplace.

That's going to be an interesting situation. HD won't let them stand on their lot and no one else is going to want them around, but those guys are not going to give up trying to get work.

Maybe they'll start congregating in front of that dead restaurant site right at Piedmont and Morosgo. What's with that corner anyway? Nothing seems to last very long there.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtguy View Post
Really? It sure hasn't stopped probably 3,000 units and nearly 5K people from moving into the area, nor prevented that shopping center from being a success. I agree a few people may initially be turned off by it, but they are not trouble makers and generally avoid anything harassing. I doubt it will impact the long term success. As also mentioned, the older apartments will likely be redeveloped as the economy improves and the redevelopment continues.

Last edited by DonTallPaul; Aug 8, 2010 at 2:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:04 PM

Also, is anyone else half amused/half annoyed by the epidemic overuse of the word "luxury?" EVERY residential project built in the last 10 years is "luxury" condos or apartments. How is that possible?

My apartment building is even "luxury." I suppose they figure that the granite countertops in the kitchen outweigh the wood laminate floors, the hollow, crookedly hung doors, the particleboard cabinets, the flimsy, hastily installed blinds, the cheap carpet and the plastic bathtub.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 2:08 PM

Haha, no doubt. It's a marketing term... I'd be shocked if there was a complex built in the last 5-10 years that wasn't described as "luxury".

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 5:12 PM

Does anyone know what the deal is on The Streets of Buckhead? There was an article in the Business Chronicle back in June that Ben Carter got the money and that work would resume in July. Well it's August and I haven't seen them working on it at all.

http://www.ajc.com/business/develope...ts-540954.html

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 6:24 PM

Well if the man can pull it off he orto get something, it is about the only thing getting built.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
Also, is anyone else half amused/half annoyed by the epidemic overuse of the word "luxury?" EVERY residential project built in the last 10 years is "luxury" condos or apartments. How is that possible?

My apartment building is even "luxury." I suppose they figure that the granite countertops in the kitchen outweigh the wood laminate floors, the hollow, crookedly hung doors, the particleboard cabinets, the flimsy, hastily installed blinds, the cheap carpet and the plastic bathtub.
Apartments have been calling themselves "luxury" for longer than that, even preceding granite countertops. I saw one in Roswell the other day that was called "premium" apartments so that may be the new trend.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 1:47 AM

Ahh the sound of progress
Questions about money remain as GM deadline looms

Dieing

a convention center in nowheresville by a nice mall
really thats better than redevoloping land thats going
to be a wasteland otherwise.
Is it possible to impeach commisioners

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 6:28 AM

Yikes. Not looking good.

Project for GM site might die

Quote:
After months of arguments and promises of new jobs, the proposed redevelopment of the Doraville GM plant likely won’t happen.

With only several days left before a vote, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has learned that the DeKalb County Commission doesn’t have enough votes as of Thursday to approve the massive redevelopment project.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 12:11 PM

Well we had to come into town the other day and there was something going on down on Peachtree and 4th Street, does anybody know what it is.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 1:39 PM

zoning changes for buckhead?

looks like buckhead wants to be more walkable
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2010/09/13/story2.html?b=1284350400^3920191

funny that they're thinking about the future during a down economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well we had to come into town the other day and there was something going on down on Peachtree and 4th Street, does anybody know what it is.
rumor has it that its Fourth Street Place project
ofcourse thats kind of hard to believe
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...07/focus9.html
Quote:
The two-transaction arrangement leaves the parties involved with a way out of the overall deal in the event the yearlong master planning process doesn't pan out to everyone's satisfaction, according to Scott Brown.

Read more: Developer, church to make mark on 'Midtown Mile' - Atlanta Business Chronicle
the economy was slowing down but hadnt crashed when this article was posted

Last edited by Pessimistic Observer; Sep 13, 2010 at 2:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta