HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 10:36 PM

Fort McPherson Redevelopment

The Fort McPherson Local Redevelopment Authority presented a comprehensive plan to the Fulton County Commission today that is centered on a biomedical research facility and includes 2400 new homes, shops, and grocery stores.

Master Plan

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25024668/detail.html

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 9:52 PM

College Football Hall of Fame press release

The project to relocate the College Football Hall of Fame to Atlanta is making significant progress towards realizing the goal of creating a new immersive and interactive attraction that will celebrate the college football game day experience in a way never before seen.

First among those was the selection of two finalist sites still under consideration for the new facility. Both sites are located in downtown Atlanta in close proximity to Centennial Olympic Park and the city's core of museums and attractions, including the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola.

The first finalist site, owned by InterPark, encompasses 34,000 square feet and is located at the corner of Harris St. and Centennial Olympic Park Drive. The site is currently being used as a parking lot.

The second finalist site, owned by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, is a 2.7-acre parking lot adjacent to Hall A of the Georgia World Congress Center convention complex, one-half block south of Centennial Olympic Park.

Atlanta Hall Management (AHM) is continuing to vet the two sites and is expected to make a final selection later this year with construction of the 50,000 square-foot, $50 million facility expected to be completed in March 2013.

With the construction phase of the project expected to begin in August 2011, AHM disclosed its development team consisting of architects, real estate developer/program managers and exhibit designers.

TVS Design of Atlanta will serve as lead architects as a part of a joint venture with Turner Associates of Atlanta. Cousins Properties and Gude Management, another Atlanta-based joint venture, will perform the roles of developer and program manager. Gallagher and Associates of Washington D.C. will design the exhibit experience and work closely with TVS Design and Turner Associates to achieve an integrated look and feel with the building architecture.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 2:11 PM

Fingers crossed for the Harris and Centennial site. This is a massive win for Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:10 PM

^ anything to replace a parking lot

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The project to relocate the College Football Hall of Fame to Atlanta is making significant progress towards realizing the goal of creating a new immersive and interactive attraction that will celebrate the college football game day experience in a way never before seen.

First among those was the selection of two finalist sites still under consideration for the new facility. Both sites are located in downtown Atlanta in close proximity to Centennial Olympic Park and the city's core of museums and attractions, including the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola.

The first finalist site, owned by InterPark, encompasses 34,000 square feet and is located at the corner of Harris St. and Centennial Olympic Park Drive. The site is currently being used as a parking lot.

The second finalist site, owned by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, is a 2.7-acre parking lot adjacent to Hall A of the Georgia World Congress Center convention complex, one-half block south of Centennial Olympic Park.

Atlanta Hall Management (AHM) is continuing to vet the two sites and is expected to make a final selection later this year with construction of the 50,000 square-foot, $50 million facility expected to be completed in March 2013.

With the construction phase of the project expected to begin in August 2011, AHM disclosed its development team consisting of architects, real estate developer/program managers and exhibit designers.

TVS Design of Atlanta will serve as lead architects as a part of a joint venture with Turner Associates of Atlanta. Cousins Properties and Gude Management, another Atlanta-based joint venture, will perform the roles of developer and program manager. Gallagher and Associates of Washington D.C. will design the exhibit experience and work closely with TVS Design and Turner Associates to achieve an integrated look and feel with the building architecture.
Over on Maria Saporta's site, there is an article about the Beltline backing off their Tiger II grant application in favor of the Streetcar. In the comments section for this article, Angel Porventud linked to the actual grant application. In the file, it shows a map of recent and proposed developments. Most of it is stuff we have discussed here, but...

The map implies that the College Football HOF will be located on the site next to the GWCC and the National Health Museum will go on the corner of Harris and Centenial Park Dr.

The map is probably just conjecture, but it is interesting. If this does come out this way it might not be to bad. The College Football HOF would be closer to the Dome, Phillips Arena and some of the bars like Stats that have a sports theme. That particular corner looks lousy now, but thats because its a surface lot with a rail line behind it. Put a cleverly designed building there and it might work.

Across the way, you'd have the Health Museum next to the American Cancer Society. I don't know, but this seems to make sense.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newnan_Eric View Post
Over on Maria Saporta's site, there is an article about the Beltline backing off their Tiger II grant application in favor of the Streetcar. In the comments section for this article, Angel Porventud linked to the actual grant application. In the file, it shows a map of recent and proposed developments. Most of it is stuff we have discussed here, but...

The map implies that the College Football HOF will be located on the site next to the GWCC and the National Health Museum will go on the corner of Harris and Centenial Park Dr.

The map is probably just conjecture, but it is interesting. If this does come out this way it might not be to bad. The College Football HOF would be closer to the Dome, Phillips Arena and some of the bars like Stats that have a sports theme. That particular corner looks lousy now, but thats because its a surface lot with a rail line behind it. Put a cleverly designed building there and it might work.

Across the way, you'd have the Health Museum next to the American Cancer Society. I don't know, but this seems to make sense.
Makes PERFECT sense to me... I hope it happens... Streetcars on the beltline, yea...

Last edited by BlindFatSnake; Sep 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newnan_Eric View Post

I think both the potential HOF sites are good sites but I can't help but wish that whatever development happens east of the park includes highrises ...... someday.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post
Makes PERFECT sense to me... I hope it happens... Streetcars on the beltline, yea...
No, that's not what I was talking about. Initially both the Beltline and the Auburn/Edgewood Loop of Streetcar were applying for Tiger II grants. Mayor Reed had the Beltline folks put their application on ice, so that the city could focus on getting one grant instead competing against ourselves.

The streetcar loop goes from the King Center over to Centenial Olympic Park.

The Beltline application was for some trails on the Beltline (not any transit yet).

The map in the application showed recent and proposed developments in downtown within a 1/4 mile of the streetcar loop.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I think both the potential HOF sites are good sites but I can't help but wish that whatever development happens east of the park includes highrises ...... someday.
I'd like to see CFHOF, the Health Museum, the Center for Civil/Human Rights all get going. It'd be nice to see some dirt turning in town again. Although, I'm sure fundraising is tough right now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 1:52 AM

Well, here is a thing about the Ansley Mall getting redone and whatnot but the man who wrote it says he doesn't like it.

http://whatnowatlanta.com/2010/09/26...w-ansley-mall/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 7:20 PM

Perhaps I'm architecturally impaired, but I like Ansley Mall just the way it is (was?). I am there numerous times a week, and the new shiny copper facade is sorta akin to putting lipstick on a pig (to borrow a favorite election inspired phrase).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 12:07 AM

This was years ago, right before the economy went south, but at one point someone said there was a big plan, especially since the beltway goes right by there, to turn that whole Ansley Mall/Ansley Square area from strip malls into a pedestrian oriented "village". complete with a central green space and performance area. 4-5 stories buildings that would be all ground floor retail with condos above, hidden parking decks and a plan that pretty much lined up on beltline station. Treating it sort of like an urban commuter work/play center.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 3:45 PM

Dome renovation= $400 million New Stadium = $ 800 million

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 12:13 AM

Alston & Bird Down To Two

Quote:
It could stay where it is (One Atlantic Center) and consolidate to around 350k SF. But the firm is also in talks with Daniel Corp. and Selig Enterprises to be the lead tenant in a second office tower at its 12th and Midtown project. A source familiar with the discussions says a decision on which site will be home to the firm, whose lease expires in 2013, is just weeks away.
http://www.bisnow.com/atlanta_news_story.php?p=10385

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 12:15 AM

Double

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
This was years ago, right before the economy went south, but at one point someone said there was a big plan, especially since the beltway goes right by there, to turn that whole Ansley Mall/Ansley Square area from strip malls into a pedestrian oriented "village". complete with a central green space and performance area. 4-5 stories buildings that would be all ground floor retail with condos above, hidden parking decks and a plan that pretty much lined up on beltline station. Treating it sort of like an urban commuter work/play center.
I remember that. I'd love to see it modified in some way that would break up that sea of asphalt in front of Ansley Mall. Maybe push the parking out to the sides a bit and have at least one portion that has direct pedestrian access from the street.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
Dome renovation= $400 million New Stadium = $ 800 million http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...7/daily34.html
last line from that article:

Quote:
In other sports news, Poe said the College Football Hall of Fame is considering a location on Marietta Street on a property known as the “Green Lot” near sports bar Stats and the Omni Hotel.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I remember that. I'd love to see it modified in some way that would break up that sea of asphalt in front of Ansley Mall. Maybe push the parking out to the sides a bit and have at least one portion that has direct pedestrian access from the street.
Well, people is still going to need a place to park and they don't want to have to walk all the way from one end to the other. They could fix it by putting some new stores up on the street and sticking a little parking deck in the middle or somesuch.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyjoey View Post
In other sports news, Poe said the College Football Hall of Fame is considering a location on Marietta Street on a property known as the “Green Lot” near sports bar Stats and the Omni Hotel.
I noticed that too. I really think that's the perfect spot for the HOF and to get rid of another downtown surface lot is just wonderful. Bravo!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 1:59 AM

City Hall east Deal moves forward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta