HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 11:26 PM

Why hire 360 when you could do a 180?

IMO,
Right city, wrong firm.
360 does fine work- safe comfortable. However, work that doesn't stimulate or challenge. Expected. 360 goes full circle and leaves you where you started from.
Populous, also based in KC, I believe designs for what great public stadia can become... unexpected, fresh, new. Their work turns you around and points towards the future.
No offense, but we already have a brick sports edifice cross town.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 12:01 AM
Fourth and Main

360 designs sports facilities to fit-in with their surroundings and I think this is why they were selected. If you want a piece of sculpture that stands out from its surroundings, because it's so different, and looks out-of-place, 360 is not your architect. 360 also is constantly looking for a big innovation to introduce on each design, which often helps them win design awards on their projects, improves the fan experience, and sets new standards. They are a good choice. To me, Populous is often a little stale. Populous was innovative years ago, but not so much today. It will be interesting to see what 360 designs. In Columbus, they created an urban Arena District, designing the award winning ballpark and the arena for their NHL team, along with residences, park space, retail, and parking decks. Maybe 360 will also design matching retail/residential/office structures on the surrounding lots Blank owns, like they did in Columbus, creating a vibrant arena district in Atlanta?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
360 designs sports facilities to fit-in with their surroundings and I think this is why they were selected. If you want a piece of sculpture that stands out from its surroundings, because it's so different, and looks out-of-place, 360 is not your architect. 360 also is constantly looking for a big innovation to introduce on each design, which often helps them win design awards on their projects, improves the fan experience, and sets new standards. They are a good choice. To me, Populous is often a little stale. Populous was innovative years ago, but not so much today. It will be interesting to see what 360 designs. In Columbus, they created an urban Arena District, designing the award winning ballpark and the arena for their NHL team, along with residences, park space, retail, and parking decks. Maybe 360 will also design matching retail/residential/office structures on the surrounding lots Blank owns, like they did in Columbus, creating a vibrant arena district in Atlanta?
Thanks for replacing my opinion with insightful facts. Encouraged expectations.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 1:40 AM

^Matthew - That would be fantastic, in my opinion.

Nationwide sunk a lot of money into the Arena District, and it worked. In an area that used to be old surface lots and warehouses, they built a cohesive new neighborhood that blends seamlessly into Downtown.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:14 AM
Fourth and Main

I studied this firm's work when they were selected to design Winston-Salem's award winning BB&T Ballpark. BB&T Ballpark was designed with the highest seating pitch in baseball, so no one can block your view. It was an innovation everyone instantly noticed and it gave the ballpark a larger appearance from the highway. The Dash team owner wanted it to look "major league," so making it look bigger than it actually is was a requested part of the design. For the first time in ballpark history, field lighting standards were incorporated into the facility's structural steel framework. An innovation likely to become a new standard in future ballpark design. Even little things, like noticing every new ballpark used the same paint colors.... so they selected different colors. They also have their own graphic designers to create unique wayfinding systems and love to incorporate the team's history into the design work and displays. I think they also tried something different with the entrance, but much of that is still under construction and is part of a 6-storey office building with balconies looking down on the field. They had a unique scoreboard, but this was removed to add the office tower over the ticket windows and team store. That ballpark also includes long term plans for a massive mixed-use village around it, with the first apartment building in the surrounding village breaking ground this summer. The outside of the ballpark is designed to match the historic 1836 Brookstown Inn and blend-in with the surrounding neighborhood. People who see it are usually impressed by how big it is and how nice it looks.

Their work in Columbus was also award winning and I remember they innovated a new type of concession stand for Columbus that folds-up, so you can see the field and won't miss any of the action while ordering. One of maybe four or five big innovations introduced in that one structure. I've had the pleasure of visiting the Arena District and I love it. They may not design some unusual trendy sculptural structure that will look outdated in ten years, but I'm excited about what they could design here in Atlanta. They often try to create something that will last and age well. We should wait and see if they succeed in designing something like this and hopefully also design a matching village around it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:43 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
^Matthew - That would be fantastic, in my opinion.

Nationwide sunk a lot of money into the Arena District, and it worked. In an area that used to be old surface lots and warehouses, they built a cohesive new neighborhood that blends seamlessly into Downtown.
It looked rough years ago, but it's a very impressive area of Columbus today. It includes old and new, along with a residential high-rise and parks. The sports facilities had to fit-in with the historic structures. I seem to remember it was along the waterfront and included an NHL/Indoor Arena, AAA Ballpark, movie theatre, and an amphitheatre for live music. I think the amphitheatre had indoor and outdoor performance spaces, but I've never been to it. I've just seen it from the outside. The village had a brewery and a variety of restaurants. I've seen stories on TV about Blank and a company he may be working with buying surrounding properties. He may have hired 360 to also create Atlanta's own arena district, which could have an indoor arena, football stadium, the city's major (proposed) rail hub (I know this multi-modal hub will take time, but I think it will happen), and more. There are a large number of attractions in this one area.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimAtl View Post
Anyone know when the 5 design finalists' concept plans will be revealed? I bet some of them propose a creative use for the old dome area.
Why not expand the GWCC into the old Dome? Didn't Indy ponder that idea with the RCA Dome?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
It looked rough years ago, but it's a very impressive area of Columbus today. It includes old and new, along with a residential high-rise and parks. The sports facilities had to fit-in with the historic structures. I seem to remember it was along the waterfront and included an NHL/Indoor Arena, AAA Ballpark, movie theatre, and an amphitheatre for live music. I think the amphitheatre had indoor and outdoor performance spaces, but I've never been to it. I've just seen it from the outside. The village had a brewery and a variety of restaurants. I've seen stories on TV about Blank and a company he may be working with buying surrounding properties. He may have hired 360 to also create Atlanta's own arena district, which could have an indoor arena, football stadium, the city's major (proposed) rail hub (I know this multi-modal hub will take time, but I think it will happen), and more. There are a large number of attractions in this one area.
Being right next to the MMPT, this would be ideal to create something that relates to the surrounding area a lot better than the typical stadium. On the other hand the size of the Falcons stadium will be considerably larger than Nationwide which will require some creativity on their part. We'll see.

At any rate, I am thrilled with this choice.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 4:19 PM

Some really good discussion points on this topic: insightful and researched. Keep it up people because while the decision is not final , the tone set by this selection appears to be very promising. Note: 360 is the Design architects; the architect of record will be, in all likelhood , local.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 6:03 PM

I'm confident that Mr. Blank understands what the organization needs to do to create a landmark. He is a very intelligent person who can make things happen. I think we are going to be very happy with the transformation of the dome/world congress center area. Mims Park, the multimodal center. the funds to be invested in Vine City, the College Football Hall of Fame, Marietta Luckie developments and others all have outstanding potential. I really wish they'd somehow better connect the Atlanta University Center to downtown. It feels so isolated. And Castleberry Hill has some momentum. I can't wait to see downtown in 5 years!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 11:12 PM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
the architect of record will be, in all likelhood , local.
I'm expecting to see TVS Design as the architect of record. http://www.tvsa.com/

TVS and 360 is a nice combination. And don't think with 360 it has to be brick. For that area of Columbus, brick was appropriate. For this area of Atlanta, they may go in a different direction. I'm very excited to see the renderings and any new ideas they have.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 3:49 PM

NY Times Article on the Stadium

In Atlanta, Two Churches Lie in New Stadium's Path

This answers the question someone had about why they need the Friendship property.
Quote:
At Friendship Baptist, the city would take over the land to move a major street named after Dr. King across the property, and so the church is negotiating with the city.
What the properties are worth according to the Fulton County Tax Assessor's office

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:09 PM

I thought friendship was east of Northside? The red shaded area appears to be an apartment complex.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
I thought friendship was east of Northside? The red shaded area appears to be an apartment complex.
It is. Right across the street from Mt Vernon. The graphic is from 11-Alive by the way. It does appear that the red shaded property west of Northside is also owned by Friendship and contains an apartment complex and senior tower run by the church which would not be affected by the new Stadium. So the land value of the Friendship property needed for the stadium is actually about the same as the Mt Vernon property.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 12:29 AM

WCCA committee approves 360 Architecture for stadium design

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...roves-360.html

Quote:
The Georgia World Congress Center Authority’s Stadium Development Committee unanimously voted Monday afternoon to recommend 360 to the full board when it meets Tuesday afternoon. At that time, the board will be given a full set of the negotiated terms of the agreement that GWCCA has reached with 360.

Quote:
Before the vote, William Johnson, senior principal with 360 Architecture, made a presentation to the committee where he unveiled a couple of different concepts of how the retractable roof on the new stadium could work.

One circular concept included a swirling roof design of smaller, lighter roof panels that would open up to the full length of the football field in between five to seven minutes. Johnson called that concept the Pantheon of Atlanta design .

The other design was a rectangular stadium where two large roof panels would pull back into wing-like structures in under 12 minutes. Johnson called that one the Solarium concept.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 9:30 PM

360 Stadium Concepts Presentation

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 9:34 PM

Pantheon

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 9:37 PM

Solarium

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 11:30 PM

Interior stadium shot

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 4:49 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta