HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 11:45 AM

I'm torn.

Pantheon of course has that wow factor both outside and inside with the 360 degree video wall. I also think it would work better for other events such as basketball. Its not as open as Solarium but it is the length of the football field and we have been playing football in a dome for 20 years.

I think Solarium could also look really cool depending on the materials used. It would be very open and offer views from inside the stadium. When the roof is open, it would essentially be an open air stadium. Solarium would probably be the better football palace.

AJC Video of both concepts in action
http://www.ajc.com/videos/news/new-f...derings/vzmrn/

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 2:59 PM

Pantheon would be especially cool if they could have adjustable LED lighting that change the color of the stadium based on the matchup or event. The stadium could essentially be a light show, in and of itself.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 5:24 PM

NBC News Story On the Stadium and the Churches

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 5:32 PM

USA Today Video

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:06 PM

Both of those designs are just flat out ugly and absurd. I sure the final design is nothing like either one. If I have to choose I would go with solarium but my main problem is that it's too much like Lucas Oil. 360 needs to go back to the drawing board.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 5:29 PM

Too much like Lucas Oil? In which way? They are both rectangular? Both have football fields inside?

Lucas Oil is brick and doesnt have a roof the is retractable to the full size of the stadium. I really dont see much in common.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 9:24 PM

Enjoy the weekend

As the Solarium roof begins to move apart, imagine the crowd chanting 'Rise Up' while 'Moses' lifts his staff midfield.

Or imagine the theme from 'Close Encounters' filling the Pantheon as the oculus pours a wondrous beam of light onto the field revealing the entire team standing ready.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 5:18 PM

Other proposed designs for the stadium

HKS

HKS

TVS/Heery/Gensler

Slideshow

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 18, 2013 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 5:36 PM

Other proposed designs for the stadium

Ewing Cole

Populous

Slideshow

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 2:04 AM

some of those alternatives look a hell of a lot better than what we got.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 2:48 AM

Even after a cursory view of these designs above, the Pantheon design is still my favorite.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
some of those alternatives look a hell of a lot better than what we got.
Really? Which ones? I would take either of the 360 concepts over any of these. And lets not forget that what we've seen so far is not the final design.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Really? Which ones? I would take either of the 360 concepts over any of these. And lets not forget that what we've seen so far is not the final design.
this one in particular:

it's got both the great view of the skyline and the retractable roof down pat. it looks bland from the outside, but they mastered the inside plan better than either of the final proposals.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 1:03 PM

Quote:
this one in particular:

it's got both the great view of the skyline and the retractable roof down pat. it looks bland from the outside, but they mastered the inside plan better than either of the final proposals.
I like both of the 360 designs better than any of the others. I'm surprised - I thought I'd love Populous' - to me, it almost looks like the others tried too hard to be 'different' and, imo, they lost the aesthetic. I love contemporary, provocative design, but none of these work for me. (But I do like the seating plan for HKS's too!).

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 4:07 PM

The Atlanta Falcons don't need a new stadium. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Georgia Dome. It can be modernized and technologically upgraded to meet the NFL's needs. This is nothing but greed from the owner of the Falcons. All this taxpayer funding of sports stadiums and arenas is the worst form of corporate welfare. Hopefully the people of Georgia will vote no and tell the billionaire owner of the Atlanta Falcons to make do with the current stadium. The people of Atlanta and the rest of Georgia have more pressing concerns than to give a massive free handout to a money hungry NFL team owner just to inflate his ego.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
The Atlanta Falcons don't need a new stadium. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Georgia Dome. It can be modernized and technologically upgraded to meet the NFL's needs. This is nothing but greed from the owner of the Falcons. All this taxpayer funding of sports stadiums and arenas is the worst form of corporate welfare. Hopefully the people of Georgia will vote no and tell the billionaire owner of the Atlanta Falcons to make do with the current stadium. The people of Atlanta and the rest of Georgia have more pressing concerns than to give a massive free handout to a money hungry NFL team owner just to inflate his ego.
lol. no georgia tax payers will pay a cent for the new stadium unless they stay in a hotel room in the city of Atlanta. The legislature approved the hotel/motel tax and by law a percentage of that tax can only go to the Georgia World Congress Center and related buildings. Those damn Republicans running this state!

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimAtl View Post
lol. no georgia tax payers will pay a cent for the new stadium unless they stay in a hotel room in the city of Atlanta. The legislature approved the hotel/motel tax and by law a percentage of that tax can only go to the Georgia World Congress Center and related buildings. Those damn Republicans running this state!
Some people just love to sound off without having all the facts...especially over something like this.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
I agree that the Georgia Dome is quite adequate and not very old. However, your assessment of everything else is off.

Arthur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons will not own the new stadium. The State of Georgia will own it; similarly the State of Georgia owns the Georgia Dome. Arthur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons will contribute over 80% ($800,000) of costs of constructing the new stadium. The Falcons will run the new facility and collect funds (concessions, advertising, skyboxes, etc). The other 20% of cost ($200,000) will come from city-backed 20 year bonds from taxes from hotel guests staying in Atlanta hotels and these taxes generate conservatively $18 million a year.

Personally, I was not much in favor of a new stadium either. But if one is going to happen, the funding situation in place seems quite fair especially when compared to some new stadiums in other cities. I love the proposed designs for new stadium from the chosen architect which has swayed me more in favor of the new stadium. My biggest concern now is how the new stadium is blended with surrounding neighborhoods and its residents.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:42 PM

Quote:
this one in particular:

Yes but it also looks like this on the outside. The Solarium concept would offer views just as good if not better. I also think the seating is a little too vertical if the idea is to lure people away from their 60" screens at home.

Assuming something similar to Pantheon is built here (just based on public opinion so far) you will definitely see some version of solarium somewhere in the world because it is an awesome concept for a convertible-top stadium.

That being said, I wonder if the cost to build Pantheon would be substantially more than Solarium to the point that some of the "cool" features would get value-engineered out of the project.

And again, we have not seen a final proposal. Those were conceptual ideas that are loosely based on some of the Falcon's criteria. Once more specifics are hashed out with all parties involved, then we will see something closer to what will actually be built.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:09 PM

NFL OKs $200M in stadium financing for Falcons

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ncing-for.html

Quote:
NFL team owners voted Tuesday to give the Atlanta Falcons $200 million in NFL G-4 stadium financing toward the team’s planned new $1 billion stadium.

“Today’s approval by the NFL team owners is an important milestone in moving the new stadium project forward,” Falcons Owner and Chairman Arthur Blank said in a statement. “The consideration of G-4 financing for new stadiums requires thoughtful analysis on the part of the NFL Finance and Stadium Committees, including compliance requirements that protect the best interests of all owners and the league.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta