HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 4:59 PM

Goodbye, Turner Field; Braves to Cobb in 2017

The Atlanta Braves plan to build a new stadium in Cobb County and move there from Turner Field at the start of the 2017 season, team officials said today.
Braves executives John Schuerholz, Mike Plant and Derek Schiller, in a meeting with a small group of reporters, said the new ballpark will be built at the northwest intersection of I-75 and I-285 in the Galleria/Cumberland Mall area. They said the team has “secured” approximately 60 acres of land for the project.
The Braves said the stadium is projected to cost $672 million, including parking, land and infrastructure, and will be built in partnership with Cobb County.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...in-cobb/nbpNQ/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:07 PM

What happened to old Turner Field? Is going to be demolished?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:13 PM

this is so sad and so foolish. they claim that the old site has transit access issues, and that this new site will provide "mass transit" options. no it wont. it is in cobb county which has consistently shot down the marta sales tax, and i highly doubt we will see heavy rail up 75 anytime soon. this is basically in an office park. there was and is nothing wrong with turner field. there have been great redevelopment plans in place for the area north of turner field that would have made the area a fantastic destination and improved the neighborhood, and i believe there were plans in place for street car or light rail or even that mag-lev train idea. there are so many reasons not to do this, and so few good reasons for moving the team here and building a new stadium. i just dont understand it at all

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:15 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by forj View Post
this is so sad and so foolish. they claim that the old site has transit access issues, and that this new site will provide "mass transit" options. no it wont. it is in cobb county which has consistently shot down the marta sales tax, and i highly doubt we will see heavy rail up 75 anytime soon. this is basically in an office park. there was and is nothing wrong with turner field. there have been great redevelopment plans in place for the area north of turner field that would have made the area a fantastic destination and improved the neighborhood, and i believe there were plans in place for street car or light rail or even that mag-lev train idea. there are so many reasons not to do this, and so few good reasons for moving the team here and building a new stadium. i just dont understand it at all
The transit excuse and the infrastructure needs to Turner Field are bs excuses. This move is all about moving closer to a particular demographic that buys Braves tickets and attends Braves games.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:20 PM

i know. but that doesn change the reasons why it is a bad idea

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
The transit excuse and the infrastructure needs to Turner Field are bs excuses. This move is all about moving closer to a particular demographic that buys Braves tickets and attends Braves games.
I'm going with the money$$$$$ that Cobb County will contribute to the new stadium being the clincher. I doubt the city could match whatever they are offering.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:29 PM
Burming Hammer

wow! didn't see this coming.

so is this in marietta? or do atlanta city limits extend into cobb?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
wow! didn't see this coming.

so is this in marietta? or do atlanta city limits extend into cobb?
Its unincorporated Cobb county with an Atlanta address just beyond the Perimeter (I-285).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Its unincorporated Cobb county with an Atlanta address just beyond the Perimeter.
Too bad the city can't move to have the address changed so that the team is stuck with a "Smyrna" address for this idiotic move.

It's a terrible move in my opinion, but let's face it. It comes down to money and feeling comfortable on the part of the ownership. The management driving this decision is made up of rich, suburb-loving, car driving people and they would rather not deal with the riff raff downtown. It's only a two mile drive from their houses along the river in Vinings to the new stadium.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Too bad the city can't move to have the address changed so that the team is stuck with a "Smyrna" address for this idiotic move.

It's a terrible move in my opinion, but let's face it. It comes down to money and feeling comfortable on the part of the ownership. The management driving this decision is made up of rich, suburb-loving, car driving people and they would rather not deal with the riff raff downtown. It's only a two mile drive from their houses along the river in Vinings to the new stadium.
bingo! and they think being closer to the suburbs will increase ticket sales. i dont think so. this site is far more difficult to access than they make it seem like. Really your only access point is Cobb Pkwy off 285. have any of you dealt with 285 traffic during rush hour? good luck getting to a Braves game on time. one of the best parts about getting to a Braves game has been the option to park in Dunwoody and ride Marta down - even without direct rail access. I think we all agree that it would be awesome if there was heavy marta rail up 75 and across the top of the perimeter.. but aint gonna happen. maybe the braves can fork over another billion to make that happen

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 9:23 PM

Reed: City is “unwilling” to give Braves $450 million

Quote:
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed released the following statement in response to news of the Atlanta Braves’ intentions to move to a new stadium in Cobb County in 2017.

“The Atlanta Braves are one of the best baseball teams in America, and I wish them well.

We have been working very hard with the Braves for a long time, and at the end of the day, there was simply no way the team was going to stay in downtown Atlanta without city taxpayers spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make that happen.

It is my understanding that our neighbor, Cobb County, made a strong offer of of $450M in public support to the Braves and we are simply unwilling to match that with taxpayer dollars.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/reed-ta...g-to-do/nbpXF/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 9:51 PM

Braves move should be viewed as opportunity for the city of Atlanta

I was surprised by the news of the Braves leaving Turner Field and moving to Cobb County.

Although surprised, the news of the move for the city of Atlanta shouldn't be and don't have be seen as a major blow to the city. With Turner Field gone, maybe this area can be re-integrated with the Grant Park, Summerhill, Peoplestown neighborhoods and the nearby Lakewood Heights and Adair Park neighborhoods. Much like the Downtown Connector dissected neighborhoods, Turner Field (and Atlanta Fulton County Stadium) did the same while displacing residents. Even something as simple as a full fledged supermarket like Publix or Kroger (for underserved Lakewood Heights, Thomasville, Adair Park, Grant Park, etc) may be a catalyst to develop the vacated stadium area to the more integrated form before the stadiums. Lakewood Heights, Peoplestown and Carver Homes neighborhoods are already seeing residential development.

I always say to folks who live in the northern suburbs of ATL - be careful what you ask for. The Northern Arc of 285 has the worst traffic in metro Atlanta - particularly when you consider access. At least the Downtown Connector has much better access (exits every 1/4 mile or so which is not the case along I285) with major streets like Northside, Lee, Metropolitan, Piedmont, Juniper, Washington, etc running parallel to it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 12:50 AM
Fourth and Main

This likely goes back to the fan who was killed walking from a baseball game. I've heard many Braves fans speak of that neighborhood as a bad place for a ballpark, due to perceived crime, and complain about having to go to the Underground to transfer, which they also view as a bad place. Someone killed, leaving a game, was the bad publicity that likely led to this. I think the Tea Party woman, who is against projects like this, is in Cobb County? They almost stopped their courthouse's construction over demands for using E-Verify. This is almost Georgia Republican Headquarters territory. Is the money a sure thing, or will they have meetings and a vote, with Tea Partiers protesting and trying to find or pass laws to block it?

A lot of the talk I've heard was connected to the area not developing into a mixed-use destination. They also said state law, if I heard correctly?, prevented the team from developing the sites around Turner Field. Again, I think it goes back to fans who think the neighborhood is dangerous. In Cobb County, they will need an extreme amount of parking and people will drive to the game and leave. I'm not sure if it's worth it (big taxpayer incentives) to Cobb County? The ballpark belongs close to a heavy rail line (HRT), near other tourist attractions, and in an area with highrise apartment/condo towers, hotels, and bars/restaurants. If 100,000 people are in walking distance of the ballpark, it increases the chances of a sell-out, from someone walking or riding their bike to a game. A Braves game can become a last minute decision. Someone will see the ballpark, as they walk near it, and say, lets go! In a place with maybe 2,500 people in walking distance of their (guessing the size?) 38,000 seat stadium, people will have to drive there and that is planned, not a last minute decision. This is a mistake and I hope it's an effort to gain more money from the city and not a final decision. I remember the Falcons using the GM site in Doraville like this. I rarely go to games (I'm not really a baseball fan), but when I do, I mostly enjoy seeing the skyline (which tells people they are in Atlanta!) and I complain about the lack of HRT access to stadium in a major city. The researchers/consultants say suburban stadiums are a mistake that result in low attendance and what will the view be? An office park? Before commercial breaks, will they show trees and cul-de-sacs, instead of the skyline behind the videoboard? Your Sprawlanta Braves, brought to you by Wal-Mart. Always bad land-use, Always! Prepare yourselves for the jokes from SSP urbanites.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 1:38 AM
Greensboro Rocks!

wow. not only is this new stadium not going to be in downtown Atlanta, its going to be in a different county. Looks like Atlanta is following the 70s trend...build the stadium in the suburbs.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
It's a White People and Black People thing. More White People from the Northern Suburbs are buying Braves tickets then Black People on the Southern Suburbs. The White People in the Northern Suburbs have no interest in MARTA, because they do still believe it is "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta". It's happened in reverse in other cities, like when the Washington Redskins moved from RFK Stadium in DC to the majority Black Suburb of Landover in Prince Georges County, Maryland(where you have to walk over a mile from the nearest Metro stop). These team owners, they look at their product from an access standpoint, and if the main city is unwilling to work with them, then they will go where the access is(White, Black, Hispanic, or Asian).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:21 AM
Fourth and Main

In my experiences, going to games, it seemed as if a significant percentage of the fans took MARTA. The ballpark was also used as a meeting location for young people. Show in the 3rd inning, your friends show, enjoy a few beers, and leave around the 6th or 7th inning to enjoy the nightlife. This significant part of their attendance could disappear? If this is the area I'm thinking about, tourists may find this area confusing and it's away from other tourist attractions. And the traffic in Atlanta is what people often complain about. To have tens of thousands of fans at I-75 and I-285 around 6 p.m.,? I need someone to confirm this is final and is happening. This sounds like Atlanta didn't offer enough, the Braves ran to Cobb, Cobb is offering $450 million, can Atlanta match it? Baseball is the most difficult sport to support. It belongs in an urban core. And with traffic, it's often best to take MARTA for those difficult to fill weekday games. While the current location of Turner Field is bad, a good location is near HRT, near condos, near hotels, and near attractions. It also has a beautiful and dramatic view of the city. Just as the Falcons worked to position an opening with a perfect view, baseball teams do the same. If it has no outfield wall opening, it feels too enclosed for an enjoy the outdoors summer sport. I've likely been to my last Braves game. Though it's closer to me and I'm through that area often, I loved the skyline view and being in the city. It loses that in this location and I'm not enough of a baseball fan to go for just the game alone. I go for the big stadium in an urban setting.

Lauren is watching something on channel 2 right now and they said a council member is trying to stop it, so I have a reason to watch the news tonight.

Last edited by Matthew; Nov 12, 2013 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:11 AM
Fourth and Main

The mayor is holding a news conference at 10:30 a.m., tomorrow.

It's not a done deal, no land is purchased, and Cobb will have to face the Tea Party, with a nearly half-billion-dollar handout, in a conservative county that opposes everything. That has defeat written all over it. The Braves haven't talked to Atlanta, so they are threatening to leave at the start of their talks, instead of starting talks and then threatening to leave if taxpayers don't pay-up. I guess it gives the money talks a more serious appearance, if they start with their foot already out the door? Atlanta has a revenue stream they can use. The Braves want 75% of their $672 million stadium paid for and Cobb County is now likely the middleman in the fight for the Braves to build a stadium close to transportation, bars and restaurants in Atlanta. I expect the team to stay in Atlanta and have a better view of the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
It's a White People and Black People thing. More White People from the Northern Suburbs are buying Braves tickets then Black People on the Southern Suburbs. The White People in the Northern Suburbs have no interest in MARTA, because they do still believe it is "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta". It's happened in reverse in other cities, like when the Washington Redskins moved from RFK Stadium in DC to the majority Black Suburb of Landover in Prince Georges County, Maryland(where you have to walk over a mile from the nearest Metro stop). These team owners, they look at their product from an access standpoint, and if the main city is unwilling to work with them, then they will go where the access is(White, Black, Hispanic, or Asian).
Oh brother! Its a green thing... as in $450 million. So no the city wasn't going "work with" the Braves on coming up with another half a $billion to fund another stadium. Obviously there are issues with the location of Turner field but that was not the deciding factor.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 5:12 PM

Reed promises enormous middle-class development at Turner Field

Looks like it is pretty close to a done deal as far as the city is concerned.

Quote:
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said “one of the largest developments for middle-class people that the city has ever had” will go up at the site of Turner Field after the Atlanta Braves move to Cobb.

In his first public remarks since the MLB franchise spurned Atlanta, Reedvowed he would “not leave a vacant Ted” and said the facility would be torn down. He also said he would not try to interfere with Cobb’s deal, but said he wanted to make the “unmistakable message” that the city wants the team to remain.

If the deal succeeds, he said, he’s not worried about his legacy, promising a “significant” announcement that will prove he made the right long-term decision for the region.

Reed said the Braves asked for between $150 million and $250 million for infrastructure improvements for the team to remain downtown. He said that would have left the city “absolutely cash-strapped” and unable to chip away at a nearly $1 billion infrastructure backlog.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta...stadium/nbp6N/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 3:55 AM

Mayor Reed talks about Braves move to Cobb County

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta