HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanscraper View Post
wow. not only is this new stadium not going to be in downtown Atlanta, its going to be in a different county. Looks like Atlanta is following the 70s trend...build the stadium in the suburbs.
Do you this mean about a traffic condition? The traffic can be very bad in downtown Atlanta. Too much rush hour traffic. That's why you stuck on the traffic. It was too many people who drove to work, shopping, airport and etc. They don’t have worry about traffic anymore. Cobb County is a right choice. It’s easy. You don’t have worry about bad traffic in near downtown Atlanta anymore.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Do you this mean about a traffic condition? The traffic can be very bad in downtown Atlanta. Too much rush hour traffic. That's why you stuck on the traffic. It was too many people who drove to work, shopping, airport and etc. They don’t have worry about traffic anymore. Cobb County is a right choice. It’s easy. You don’t have worry about bad traffic in near downtown Atlanta anymore.
Was this English?

Clearly you're living in some fantasy world if you don't think there's huge traffic issues at the intersection of I-75 and I-285. It might be worst than the connector traffic. At least at the current site there is the option to take MARTA, regardless of how many people actually took it (which, from my experiences taking MARTA to the games plenty of times, it was always packed with Braves fans).

This site will not alleviate any traffic issues around the stadium and might even end up being worst (which is the most likely scenario).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
Was this English?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 7:07 PM

Traffic stats make case for rail line to new Braves stadium

Quote:
A key challenge the Atlanta Braves and Cobb County face in the team’s planned relocation from downtown Atlanta to the Cumberland-Galleria area is how fans are going to get to the new stadium.

Interstate 75 in the area of the stadium site already carries more traffic than the Downtown Connector during the afternoon rush, the period leading up to the start of most Braves home games, according to figures compiled by the Georgia Department of Transportation.

For example, the average hourly traffic volume on northbound I-75 between Windy Hill Road and Delk Road in August was 10,236 vehicles during the period covering 2010 through 2013.

In comparison, the Connector southbound at the Grady Curve, just north of Turner Field, carried an average hourly volume of 8,664 vehicles during afternoon rush in August of 2010-2013. The Connector northbound at University Avenue, south of the Ted, carried an average hourly volume of 7,907 vehicles during the same period, according to the DOT.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...rail-line.html

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
This likely goes back to the fan who was killed walking from a baseball game. I've heard many Braves fans speak of that neighborhood as a bad place for a ballpark, due to perceived crime, and complain about having to go to the Underground to transfer, which they also view as a bad place. Someone killed, leaving a game, was the bad publicity that likely led to this. I think the Tea Party woman, who is against projects like this, is in Cobb County? They almost stopped their courthouse's construction over demands for using E-Verify. This is almost Georgia Republican Headquarters territory. Is the money a sure thing, or will they have meetings and a vote, with Tea Partiers protesting and trying to find or pass laws to block it?

A lot of the talk I've heard was connected to the area not developing into a mixed-use destination. They also said state law, if I heard correctly?, prevented the team from developing the sites around Turner Field. Again, I think it goes back to fans who think the neighborhood is dangerous. In Cobb County, they will need an extreme amount of parking and people will drive to the game and leave. I'm not sure if it's worth it (big taxpayer incentives) to Cobb County? The ballpark belongs close to a heavy rail line (HRT), near other tourist attractions, and in an area with highrise apartment/condo towers, hotels, and bars/restaurants. If 100,000 people are in walking distance of the ballpark, it increases the chances of a sell-out, from someone walking or riding their bike to a game. A Braves game can become a last minute decision. Someone will see the ballpark, as they walk near it, and say, lets go! In a place with maybe 2,500 people in walking distance of their (guessing the size?) 38,000 seat stadium, people will have to drive there and that is planned, not a last minute decision. This is a mistake and I hope it's an effort to gain more money from the city and not a final decision. I remember the Falcons using the GM site in Doraville like this. I rarely go to games (I'm not really a baseball fan), but when I do, I mostly enjoy seeing the skyline (which tells people they are in Atlanta!) and I complain about the lack of HRT access to stadium in a major city. The researchers/consultants say suburban stadiums are a mistake that result in low attendance and what will the view be? An office park? Before commercial breaks, will they show trees and cul-de-sacs, instead of the skyline behind the videoboard? Your Sprawlanta Braves, brought to you by Wal-Mart. Always bad land-use, Always! Prepare yourselves for the jokes from SSP urbanites.
When was a fan murdered leaving a baseball game at Turner Field? I don't remember this ever happening, although I guess it could have. I've searched online and can't find anything about it. Maybe you're thinking about the fan that fell from the upper deck?

There have been several instances in other cities over the years where a fan has been killed before/after a baseball game.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 8:42 PM

Not being from Atlanta I have to ask, how do you guys feel about $450 million worth of public money going into a stadium that replaces a stadium that will only be 20 years old?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
When was a fan murdered leaving a baseball game at Turner Field? I don't remember this ever happening, although I guess it could have. I've searched online and can't find anything about it. Maybe you're thinking about the fan that fell from the upper deck?

There have been several instances in other cities over the years where a fan has been killed before/after a baseball game.
Someone was shot in the face last year leaving the game, right around the time the other guy was killed in East Atlanta Village by Midway.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Not being from Atlanta I have to ask, how do you guys feel about $450 million worth of public money going into a stadium that replaces a stadium that will only be 20 years old?
That $450 million is coming from Cobb County, not Atlanta or Fulton County (where Atlanta is). I imagine most people feel the same about it in that it's taxpayers, from a county that's having educational budget shortfalls and are putting teachers on furlough, paying for a private enterprise's stadium that is own by a $26 billion dollar company (Liberty Media).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 12:05 AM
Fourth and Main

The governor, mayor, and Braves officials meeting behind closed doors? ...how would a new ballpark look on Ivan Allen Jr., Blvd., at the once proposed north site for the Falcons?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 12:30 AM

Olympic Stadium/Turner Field was built in the wrong place from the start. I remember when they were looking for land to build the Olympic stadium and the list was getting reduced, one of the sites that didn't get enough traction was the Atlantic Steel site, now known as Atlantic Station. Could you imagine Turner Field in the middle of Atlantic Station??? We wouldn't be having this conversation right now, everyone would be happy.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 1:38 AM

Quote:
The governor, mayor, and Braves officials meeting behind closed doors? ...how would a new ballpark look on Ivan Allen Jr., Blvd., at the once proposed north site for the Falcons?
I say no. The city of Atlanta should get out of the business of multiple big stadiums in the Downtown area. Furthermore, one of the issues the Braves say is an issue is parking. Other issues are their fans driving to the stadium and being closer to the majority of their ticket buyers. Ivan Allen Jr Blvd is not very conducive to none of the issues they say they are trying to address.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:39 AM

Quote:
The governor wants nothing to do with this deal.

I don't think there's any chance of it happening but I personally think that would be a fantastic location for a baseball stadium. It would be near what is already a mixed use area along Marietta street and a stadium could add to the development on that corridor as well as efforts to revitalize the adjoining neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The governor wants nothing to do with this deal.
No, it's not his job. He will not make a decision. It’s just only city council, mayor, and the owners of Atlanta Braves as well.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 6:02 AM
Fourth and Main

The land is the property of the State of Georgia. This seems to be moving fast? It's near many tourist attractions, hotels, residences, and with the Braves being a tourist attraction that brings people from Alabama, Tennessee, and the Carolinas to Atlanta, it fits well. If you're visiting the Braves, your family is also likely going to the Aquarium, World of Coke, possibly the College Football HoF, SkyView, CNN Center, and maybe the fountains at the park. You're also likely to leave your car at the hotel! It also becomes a "we can go there (ballpark) while we are in town for a trade show" attraction too. If both facilities (dome and ballpark) can share parking, this is an even better deal. This is an already developed mixed-use area and already has people there before and after games. I would love to see the streetcar extended through this area too. This is where streetcars do well. The Braves could see increased attendance at this site and a beautiful skyline view. I would actually see more games in this location.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 6:09 AM

matthew, thanks for all the commentary you've had on this - where are you getting the deets from on the possibility of this site, if you don't mind me asking? i'd love to know more.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:34 PM

Cobb County paying $302 million toward Braves new stadium

The Braves and Cobb County has created a file detailing how the stadium will be funded.

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/n...document_2.pdf

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 11:53 PM
Fourth and Main

And the fine print from the Tea Party themselves:

The Braves deal will take $9 million a year from Cobb County's General Fund! This is money they could spend on schools or other county needs.

Taxes will only increase on businesses (Wait... Taxes on businesses! Those RINOs elected to county office! Their political career is OVER! ) near the proposed ballpark.

The Tea Party demands a vote on this, like they have with Special Purpose Local Option Sales Taxes. They insist that $300 million will increase taxes. They also seem interested in how back-room this deal is. And a tax that could negatively impact small businesses and it must be passed-on to customers? With the business themselves questioning if the ballpark will help or hurt them; with many saying it could hurt them? Wish Chairman Lee a happy retirement, after this term is finished. Supporting this will likely end the political careers of every elected official involved.

The team could move to Cobb, but I expect them to stay in Atlanta. Again, all they have is a handshake agreement. Nothing signed, ...just enough to give the appearance they are serious, without actually committing. They also have nearly a year to finalize a site in Atlanta and select an architect. As we've seen with the Falcons, that is more than enough time to make an Atlanta site happen. I'm guessing that is the Braves' plan too. Like I said in the other thread, this happens so often, when teams want new stadiums. I don't believe it until it's time to place shovels in the ground. Add to this how poorly the site matches the reasons the Braves want to move.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
Someone was shot in the face last year leaving the game, right around the time the other guy was killed in East Atlanta Village by Midway.
Okay...the comment was that someone was killed leaving a game and I couldn't find anything about that.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 4:53 AM

Here's an idea

why don't they just move to the spot where the current dome is now after they demolish it?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 12:41 PM

City of Atlanta document of Braves negotiation timeline

http://www.scribd.com/doc/183881678/...tions-Timeline

It appears that the Braves did not even talk to the city from mid May to Sept when they gave the city the list of demands below. And then the next time they met with the city, they informed the city that they were moving to Cobb.

Documents reveal Braves wish list for Turner Field

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/exclusi...-for-tu/nbsM3/
Quote:
  • No fast food restaurants other than one (1) coffee shop (e.g. Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks).
  • No third party retail may sell Braves merchandise or tickets within the development.
  • Limit to two (2) sports bars and two (2) fine dining restaurants within the development and must be on the northern part of the development a minimum of 1,600 feet from front gates of Turner Field.
  • Development must include deck parking to accommodate 8,600 cars for use during all games by ANLBC.
  • Development must include additional transit options (maglev, light rail, bus, trolley, etc.) and ingress and egress improvements.
  • Capital Improvements listed in Exhibit C to be made to Turner Field in 3 phases – 2016, 2017 and 2018. (Exhibit C not included)
  • ANLBC to fund $50M of improvements, AFCRA to fund $50M and City/County to fund other $50M over the 3-year period (2016 – 2018).
  • Capital Improvements going forward after 2018 to be funded 50/50 by ANLBC and AFCRA/City/County until such time as development is generating annual minimums set forth above ($10,000,000) after which time ANLBC will assume 100% of Capital Improvement funding obligation.

Phase One
  • 250 Apartment Homes
  • 175 Hotel Rooms
  • 25 Condo and Townhome Units
  • 10,000 feet of retail square footage
  • 50,000 feet of restaurant/entertainment square footage

Phase Two
  • 250 Apartment Homes
  • 200 Hotel Rooms
  • 25 Condo and Townhome Units
  • 10,000 feet of retail square footage
  • 75,000 Office space square footage
  • 50,000 feet of restaurant/entertainment square footage

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Nov 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta