HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forj View Post
oh god yes.. the no-mans-land around Garnet MARTA station is just begging for a transit oriented mixed-use development surrounding it. that area needs a lot of work and it's going to be a long time before it starts coming around. but it will get there.
i always thought it would be cool if south downtown became our 'koreatown' instead of buford highway. i'm imagining something like this of course:

heck of a pipe dream; i wonder how you'd make it work from a policy perspective?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i always thought it would be cool if south downtown became our 'koreatown' instead of buford highway. i'm imagining something like this of course:

heck of a pipe dream; i wonder how you'd make it work from a policy perspective?
Or a CHINATOWN!!!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
i always thought it would be cool if south downtown became our 'koreatown' instead of buford highway.
I remember reading somewhere that it almost happened that way. I can't remember what the issue was but I think something fell through and it all ended up going to Buford Highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Or a CHINATOWN!!!
Last I heard, the Chinese have been buying up land in South Downtown, so who knows? This could actually become a possibility.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:

The building stock on Peachtree and Broad is soooo cool. I'm hoping that Creative Loafing moving to the 19-teens Rich's building will start to help development down there. I'd love to see a bunch of dim-sum and ramen shops. Good idea!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 4:21 PM

Added:

One Museum Place

Druid Hills Baptist Church mixed use

Walton King Memorial Station

Updated:

Hyatt House rendering

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:01 PM

Thanks for doing this smArTaLlone. This is prob my favorite thread on this entire board.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:24 PM
BANNED

smArTaLlone - I am curious why you did not add the Metropolitan Center?

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...-are-alive.php

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 4:04 PM

I think the 2 tallest towers of 98 14st should have a nickname because they Really look similar to the Old Twin Towers in NYC, but in a modern way...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
they Really look similar to the Old Twin Towers in NYC, but in a modern way...
No they don't. They'll have balconies and different heights and a twisting taper at the top, not very similar at all.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:

Although not Asian, south downtown does have a pretty solid base of local businesses. A lot of them have the sort of vibrant signage and strong street presence that makes ethnic communities work.

It would be great to see more restaurants in the mix!

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7522...sqQpaFU3Xg!2e0

Last edited by arjay57; Feb 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 6:32 PM

Updated:

3380 Peachtree rendering

Centergy Two rendering

1117 Spring St rendering

98 14th St rendering

782 Peachtree rendering

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Feb 26, 2014 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Updated:Centergy Two rendering
This is a pretty solid and sharp take on the conventional mid-rise. I wouldn't mind more like this.

Quote:
98 14th St rendering
Meh. I think the old AT&T complex proposal would look better for that site but this at least anchors some solid urbanity within the city. The twist at the tops appears very shy in terms of application, like a quick afterthought to take an otherwise conventional design and make it "unique."

Still, not all together bad.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 7:55 PM

the caption attached to that design for 98 14th St says it's not a final design, so who knows. i kinda like it though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:11 PM

Unfortunately these buildings are no substitute for the exciting avant-garde Calatrava symphony hall design - that would have added significantly to the architectural diversity of ATL. This looks like same old same old.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Unfortunately these buildings are no substitute for the exciting avant-garde Calatrava symphony hall design - that would have added significantly to the architectural diversity of ATL. This looks like same old same old.
They might have dodge a bullet on that one. As interesting as some of his pieces might be, many (I believe a good majority) have been delivered late and well over budget, not to mention buildings have leaked or have been designed then built missing essential features. I find his work interesting, but I wouldn't wish the headache they become on any local company (well, maybe the Braves new stadium), let alone the symphony.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
They might have dodge a bullet on that one. As interesting as some of his pieces might be, many (I believe a good majority) have been delivered late and well over budget, not to mention buildings have leaked or have been designed then built missing essential features. I find his work interesting, but I wouldn't wish the headache they become on any local company (well, maybe the Braves new stadium), let alone the symphony.
...and not to mention that most of his designs look suspiciously similar. I thought the symphony hall was fabulous when I first saw it, but then I saw some of his other designs and realized this was just another copy.

Atlanta's symphony hall should be unique and should be located in a spot that is more visible than the one on 14th. I agree that we dodged a bullet.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 12:05 AM

Agree on the symphony hall comments. More importantly, I'm not convinced that was the best site for what could be an iconic piece of architecture, both logistically and in terms of setting. Obviously they liked being adjacent to MARTA and the other eateries to which current symphony patrons are accustomed, but something with a more prominent location, allowing showcase views of the structure, would be ideal. Like maybe that block between Peachtree and Juniper across from the Feds.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 3:20 PM

I can't really disagree too much with the comments on the Calatrava project - I have seen some of his work and it often has problems - interesting design, poor execution. And the site was not the best to showcase his vision. But my point was more about the need for ATL to have a few more iconic and/or architecturally fascinating structures and in all the fine efforts we see potentially in Midtown there is nothing that stands out. Just one innovative major building would be welcome.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 9:16 PM

I think it's a bit early to expect something iconic. The recession hasn't really ended yet--we have a lot of drawings for the first time in years, but not much else. The real momentum will probably come once this new infill has proven itself by attracting new residents. I could see something really great coming along in 5-10 years.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 11:05 PM

Here are some renderings of the Olympia Building adaptive reuse project in Downtown. It's certainly not a skyscraper, but in a city where "historic preservation" is a four letter word, it's extremely significant.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta