HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 6:18 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 10:45 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 11:31 PM

God I hate that mural so much...looks so damn cheap....like sometihng you would see in a developing country. It's embarassing. Maybe one day, an LED display will cover it up lol.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
God I hate that mural so much...looks so damn cheap....like sometihng you would see in a developing country. It's embarassing. Maybe one day, an LED display will cover it up lol.
IMO, that's about the only interesting feature about that building. I mean, Midtown Atlanta is about the most bland urban district in the U.S. Some color would do the area some good.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 12:57 AM

Who's the artist? I'd like to google them.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Who's the artist? I'd like to google them.
HENSE:

https://www.google.com/search?q=HENS...=2259&bih=1388

He did this piece for The High: http://knowngallery.com/blog/post/ne...museum-of-art/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 5:06 AM

Thanks for the info. Looks like this guy has certainly moved up the food chain from a graffiti artist. I give him that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Brewer

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 2:22 PM

IMO the mural looks great, wait for the lighting, this project will surprise the doubters in a big way..Also it is 39 floors not 38....

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 6:55 PM

That looks like ass.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
That looks like ass.
Who's, yours???

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
IMO, that's about the only interesting feature about that building. I mean, Midtown Atlanta is about the most bland urban district in the U.S. Some color would do the area some good.
I wouldn't say I love the mural, but I'm happy to have any color or vibrant art in the area. Midtown needs more outdoor art.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm withholding judgement until its complete. It looks quite a bit different here than in the photo above.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ34qaaF...n-by=carl_holt

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I'm withholding judgement until its complete. It looks quite a bit different here than in the photo above.
Looks like it's the mural in the renderings. If so, it's going to get even worse.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
IMO the mural looks great, wait for the lighting, this project will surprise the doubters in a big way..Also it is 39 floors not 38....
agreed! a great addition to the somewhat sterile midtown environment. it may be a bit out of the box for conservative ATL, but i would guess communities in miami, NYC, SFO or abroad that embrace the arts wouldn't question such an installation. haters should at least wait until it's completed and illuminated.

well done #hense!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
agreed! a great addition to the somewhat sterile midtown environment. it may be a bit out of the box for conservative ATL, but i would guess communities in miami, NYC, SFO or abroad that embrace the arts wouldn't question such an installation. haters should at least wait until it's completed and illuminated.

well done #hense!
Nice shade . This city is covered in murals. This one is blah in comparison.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Nice shade . This city is covered in murals. This one is blah in comparison.
not shade at all, just my opinion. btw, i'm not referring to the outstanding collection of street art in atlanta neighborhoods. i really don't see this mural or the modera mural as street art, but rather commissioned installations that go beyond graffiti. again, this would be welcomed in places like miami where it's common and expected. take a walk around atlanta and document art installations - not street art - by and large most installations are stone, metal, and lean toward folksy but IMHO bland. nothing that really captures your attention. i'm thrilled to see more colorful, bright, abstract, and progressive installations in the city. i also think it's a plus that there are such strong opinions about this - artists usually appreciate evoking strong response from the public.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
not shade at all, just my opinion. btw, i'm not referring to the outstanding collection of street art in atlanta neighborhoods. i really don't see this mural or the modera mural as street art, but rather commissioned installations that go beyond graffiti. again, this would be welcomed in places like miami where it's common and expected. take a walk around atlanta and document art installations - not street art - by and large most installations are stone, metal, and lean toward folksy but IMHO bland. nothing that really captures your attention. i'm thrilled to see more colorful, bright, abstract, and progressive installations in the city. i also think it's a plus that there are such strong opinions about this - artists usually appreciate evoking strong response from the public.
Fair enough.

So does anyone know the official height on this.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:

well done #hense!
This is real talent.

This is a mural going up at Modera Midtown by Greg Mike, a well known Atlanta artist.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 2:44 AM

^ That is nice, and Greg Mike does fun stuff, just very different style from HENSE.

Atl2phx - not sure I agree with your comparisons - SF doesn't actually have much bold art, and Miami's is very concentrated in the Wynwood district.

I will agree that outside of murals/street art, Atlanta does poorly at public art.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 1:30 PM

Autoeater is pretty interesting. I wish we could get more bold/controversial installations like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta