HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGA View Post
Thank both of you for the positive comments! The Project has been a very exciting one for our small company. A lot goes into the development of a building of this size, and there are a lot of things that are dear to our hearts as architects and as people that fall by the wayside due to cost considerations, etc. Sometimes we know exactly how things could be better, and we have tried hard to do it that way, only to run into the reality of budgets... it is very refreshing that in this forum all of you seem to focus on admiring rather than tearing down. We are always open to suggestions and criticism, but we put a lot of ourselves into the process of creating the design and watching over construction, and a reading a good word every once in a while feels fantastic! Thank you all, very much.

RGA
Any news on the second phase of this project? Have you guys been commissioned to design? The Piedmont & 11th corner looks much better in person than it does in the renderings, I'm excited to see it finished. (now we just need to develop NW corner of 10th & Piedmont and get rid of those horrendous power lines that dominate that intersection.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Thank both of you for the positive comments! The Project has been a very exciting one for our small company. A lot goes into the development of a building of this size, and there are a lot of things that are dear to our hearts as architects and as people that fall by the wayside due to cost considerations, etc. Sometimes we know exactly how things could be better, and we have tried hard to do it that way, only to run into the reality of budgets... it is very refreshing that in this forum all of you seem to focus on admiring rather than tearing down. We are always open to suggestions and criticism, but we put a lot of ourselves into the process of creating the design and watching over construction, and a reading a good word every once in a while feels fantastic! Thank you all, very much.

RGA
I will admit that I have been critical of some projects at times with the full understanding that the architect can only design what the client wants and is willing to fund. It's only from a desire to have the city develop in a way that is as urban and attractive as possible so please take any comments with the huge barrel of salt.

That being said I am genuinely impressed with both Cyan and Azure and I really hope that your firm gets more local projects.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:18 PM
RGA

The second phase that was discussed in the original presentations would have filled in the void left by the failed project fronting 10th Street, where the construction trailers for Azure are located now. The developer for Azure has paid for significant improvements to the site as part of the deal to allow the trailers, including pertforming repair work to the temporary lagging wall that holds up the Fire Station, and filling in the "pond", but, to our knowledge, has not succeeded in negotiating an acquisition of that property from the current Owners. We have not been invited to begin work on that site. That does not mean that a competitor may not be working on a scheme, we just know we are not (and wish we were!). Because of the configuration and size of that property construction will be much more expensive, as there is no lay-down space for materials and equipment like we had on Cyan and Azure (the reason the contractor built the deck last was so that space was available - it is true that usually the deck goes first, as someone commented in the thread). The site is configured such that parking will have to be below the units, partly underground. This will make the smaller building more costly still, and thus less desirable to investors as a development site for the time being...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:47 PM
RGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I will admit that I have been critical of some projects at times with the full understanding that the architect can only design what the client wants and is willing to fund. It's only from a desire to have the city develop in a way that is as urban and attractive as possible so please take any comments with the huge barrel of salt.

That being said I am genuinely impressed with both Cyan and Azure and I really hope that your firm gets more local projects.
Martinman, we share the same goals. It is difficult, as architects, and as Atlanta residents for over 40 years, to accept the factors that limit our plans to improve the City through its private development structure. The improvement quality, as you well have said, depends on purely financial decisions on the part of property investors. We are not at liberty to speak of the many good features that had to be abandoned at both Cyan and Azure to make them financially viable; there were really cool elements in our original concepts that, unfortunately, could not be justified cost-wise... better to say we are proud that we were able to keep the building setback and roof terrace overlooking Peachtree on Cyan, and the brick cladding and residential "stoop" detailing that relate to the scale of the street at the lower five stories of Azure. These are small but very important elements that try to preserve the quality of the street environment. Last but not at all least, thank you for your comments on both buildings! We are very proud of the fact that as a five-year old, very small firm, we have been given the opportunity and privilege to add so significantly to our City. We want to continue to do so, if we can. We are not the easiest firm to deal with, from a developer standpoint, because we do take a stand on what we believe is the correct thing to do with our clients; something not necessarily good for repeat business! It is very encouraging to hear that it has been appreciated, and worth it!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:00 PM

I think this might be the best looking apartment tower of the current boom. The balconies are really interesting and the glass is fantastic. I'm hoping the façade on the parking garage looks equally as good.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:04 PM

That view from the pool deck over Piedmont Park is going to be awesome

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:09 PM
RGA

Thanks to both of you!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:57 PM
RGA

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 10:33 PM
RGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcarrington View Post
That view from the pool deck over Piedmont Park is going to be awesome

Still not getting the url to work...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 12:12 AM

Fixed it for you. Looking good!

Quote:

Still not getting the url to work...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 5:32 PM
RGA

Thanks! Not sure why I could not get the url to work... might have been a Facebook issue; the photo, as you probably know, is in our Facebook page.

RGA

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 11:02 PM

Yep. The midrise section is looking nice as well.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 12:40 AM
RGA

The underside of the balconies will be enclosed with a soffit.

In our original design, this midrise was a concrete structure, like the tower. The roof was a linear park, similar to the High Line in NYC, and ending in a staircase at the corner with Piedmont, Because the structure was changed to wood, for economy, we could no longer have the park on the roof. It would have been a fantastic place!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 1:49 AM
RGA

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 1:25 PM

The corner unit on the midrise looks pretty sweet. When is this supposed to be completed?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 1:36 PM
RGA

Corner unit, top floor, Living and Dining, kitchen to the left (not in photo). Taken August 10, 2016 (yesterday). Panorama - please pan to see entire space!

The building is to be completed by December, lease walks (hardhat) started ind this month and the first residents move-in October. Apologies for the too-large files that slow down the page: I will try edit them down to a good size tonight.

Last edited by RGA; Aug 11, 2016 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:05 PM
RGA

Correction

Actually, the hardhat lease walks have started already, and the first tenants move in in October. The building is supposed to be finished in December. Also I apologize for the slowing down of the page from the super-large sized images. I'll try to edit those down later. This is repeated information, but cannot delete this message after editing the previous one!

Last edited by RGA; Aug 11, 2016 at 2:12 PM. Reason: repeated info

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, the hardhat lease walks have started already, and the first tenants move in in October. The building is supposed to be finished in December. Also I apologize for the slowing down of the page from the super-large sized images. I'll try to edit those down later. This is repeated information, but cannot delete this message after editing the previous one!
No - Big pictures are great. This project looks fantastic and I am particularly impressed by the low-rise portion.

I am curious are you working on any other unannounced Atlanta projects? Do you see the market slowing down? Also, could you drop your business card and portfolio of work off at Novare's HQ - they could use your firms talent!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:50 PM
RGA

Thank you! We are collaborating with another two firms in a high-rise building, but, unlike the previous two, our work is limited to designing the plans, while a firm from NYC designs the outside, and the third, local, firm executes their exterior design. It will be a very interesting building, and different from most apartment high-rises here. However, credit for design will mostly go to the NYC firm, as they are the "brand" the developer paid, a lot, for.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 7:52 PM

You mean a NY-style project like 98 14th?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta