HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 2:15 PM

SUMMERHILL Development Thread

LCI Study/

Imagine Turner Field

Quote:
The LCI study is meant to act as a master plan for the redevelopment of Turner Field once the Atlanta Braves relocate to Cobb County next year and a guide for future development of the ballpark’s surrounding neighborhoods — Summerhill, Mechanicsville, Pittsburgh, Peoplestown and Grant Park.

The study involved city officials, neighborhood leaders, and a team of architects from Perkins + Will. Its authors say it could serve as a blueprint for “one of the largest project sites in any metropolitan area in the United States … a rare opportunity to dramatically reshape downtown Atlanta.”

“This is going to be so important for our city,” said Scott Taylor, president of Carter, which is part of a joint venture that includes Georgia State, Oakwood Development and Healey Weatherholtz Properties. Those firms could close on a deal to buy Turner Field by the end of the year and eventually redevelop the site with new GSU football and baseball facilities and student housing.

The study is heading toward a series of public meetings in August and September, including presentations before neighborhood planning units (NPUs). The final recommendations will then be voted on by Atlanta City Council, possibly in September.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...es-around.html

Livable Centers Initiative Study Area

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jul 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 10:10 PM

I would be ecstatic if just one of these ambitious plans in and around downtown actually becomes a reality and I think that this one because of the presence of GSU is most likely to at least move forward. Obviously anything close to this incredible vision would take quite a while to be fully realized but at least the initial stages of it can begin relatively soon because of GSU.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 9:14 PM

GSU signs deal to buy Turner Field

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ouncement.html
Quote:
Atlanta and Fulton County have signed an agreement to sell Turner Field to Georgia State University for $30 million, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed announced Thursday.

The Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority agreed late last month to sell the 67-acre stadium site to GSU after the Braves leave at the end of December for a new stadium being built in Cobb County. The Atlanta City Council signed off on the deal May 2.

Carter USA President Scott Taylor said the first activity at the site will be construction of student housing on the western end of the property adjacent to the Downtown Connector. That work will be followed by a retail complex along Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard and Georgia Avenue, he said.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 1:39 AM

I'm curious to see what transit options come from this development, and I pray to the heaven skies that they will encourage and incentivize local small businesses to occupy a good portion of the retail space

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:56 PM

Georgia State could spend $48 million on Turner Field deal

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-educat...3MPr0Qc5S42NM/

Quote:
In total, the university portion of the project would cost $52.8 million, including $47.8 million from Georgia State’s own accounts, $1.3 million from the school’s athletic association and $3.8 million in private money.

Most of the money — $26 million — would go towards stadium renovations to remake Turner Field into a 22,000-seat stadium, according to Board of Regents records. That work, which would take place in two phases, would include a new field, covering upper deck seating, reorienting lower bowl seating and upgrading locker rooms and other areas.

Scott Taylor, president of lead development partner Carter, said in August the development partners will fund their portion of the project through their own equity, investor dollars and financing from major financial firms. About 70 percent of the development value will go on the tax rolls.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 12:17 PM

GSU plans to play its 2017 football season in their new stadium. Here are renderings of the fully renovated former Turner Field which will be done in phases.

http://stadium.gsu.edu/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 12:24 PM

Board of Regents OKs Georgia State-Turner Field project

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...gia-state.html
Quote:
The University System of Georgia Board of Regents Wednesday approved Georgia State University’s plan to buy Turner Field and convert what has been a baseball park for nearly 20 years into a football stadium.

The $52.8 million project calls for Georgia State to buy the 38.4-acre Turner Field site from the Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority for $22.8 million, then convert the ballpark into a 22,000-seat artificial turf stadium for the football Panthers, a $26 million renovation project.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:29 PM

Georgia State, developers, complete purchase of Turner Field

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ield-deal.html

Quote:
Georgia State University and its development partners today announced they’ve closed on the acquisition of Turner Field and surrounding properties.

The stadium conversion will begin in February.

Georgia State will control 38 acres, including the stadium and the Blue Lot, formerly a parking lot at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. The Carter-led joint venture is purchasing 16 acres. It will also ground-lease an additional 13.5 acres from Georgia State.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Hopefully that's one step closer to eliminating the Atlanta-Fulton-Recreation-Authority. Wait, do they own the Zoo too? http://www.afcra.com

Ugg, so that, Philips, various building facades (how did that happen?) and Fanplex. Is that it? I'm guessing it was a dumping ground for odds and ends before Invest Atlanta was formed, but who knows? Maybe someone needs to write a book....

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:43 PM

Carter/GSU release new renderings of its Turner Filed Vision

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...tml?ana=twt#g4

Quote:
The first step for Carter: a new 850-bed student housing project just north of Turner Field. Carter wants to break ground by the end of the year.
It also plans a 200-unit apartment building along Hank Aaron Drive, with 10 percent of those units dedicated to workforce housing.

Carter and its team will likely close next week on an additional seven aging retail buildings along Georgia Avenue, which it plans to fill with local businesses such as restaurants and a coffee shop.
A rendering of the proposed development along Hank Aaron Drive, which could include a corporate office.

Transit Plaza

Conceptual Master Plan

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 2:47 AM

Some details from the DRI (Development of Regional Impact) filing.

At total build out the project could contain
  • 1.5M SF of office
  • 700k SF of commercial/retail space
  • 2,750 apartment units
  • 50 single-family houses
  • 625 hotel rooms

If even a fraction of this gets built the Braves leaving will have been a blessing in disguise.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...ves-home-71459

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:28 PM

GSU's new football stadium is beginning to take shape

http://www.11alive.com/sports/turner...hape/425411858

Quote:
Georgia State is currently in phase one of its plan for the stadium, which means downsizing it to 23,000 seats while ultimately getting the stadium to a usable state to play football in. Phase one will be completed prior to the team's home opener on Aug. 31 against Tennessee State.

Phase two will be the following year and includes building out the rest of the stadium and adding more seats. But the plans are evolving, according to Cobb. The stadium is just part of a larger $300 million project with the developer, Carter, to turn the 68-acre area into a mixed-use development. Cobb said they are on time and on budget.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 5, 2017 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:42 PM

Summerhill

Phase I of the private development includes:
  • Up to 200 multi-family apartment units
  • Redevelopment of Georgia Avenue, including existing retail and retail in new standalone buildings and creative/loft space
  • Up to 850 bed student housing project
  • Corporate build-to-suite office

Georgia Avenue rendering

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Phase I of the private development includes:
  • Up to 200 multi-family apartment units
  • Redevelopment of Georgia Avenue, including existing retail and retail in new standalone buildings and creative/loft space
  • Up to 850 bed student housing project
  • Corporate build-to-suite office

Georgia Avenue rendering
Looks like a nice sized commercial development appropriate for the area

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 11:25 AM

Love it!
A neighborhood scale commercial corridor that can evolve as the neighborhood grows is a smart move. Plus the revitalization occurring on Memorial Drive can only help this development.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 12:48 PM

That's fantastic. It seems that GSU intends to preserve the existing historic buildings and add infill, rather than knocking everything down and starting from scratch. The stretch of Georgia Ave from Terry to Fraser has great bones, but is in a sad state right now (except for some awesome wall art).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 2:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
That's fantastic. It seems that GSU intends to preserve the existing historic buildings and add infill, rather than knocking everything down and starting from scratch. The stretch of Georgia Ave from Terry to Fraser has great bones, but is in a sad state right now (except for some awesome wall art).
Not to be a shit stirrer (yeah right!), but I am taken back you did not give a thumbs down for the surface parking....or is that just reserved for Fuqua developments and/or mega grocery stores?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Not to be a shit stirrer (yeah right!), but I am taken back you did not give a thumbs down for the surface parking....or is that just reserved for Fuqua developments and/or mega grocery stores?
That's less than 20 parking spaces in view for a massive development that is appropriate for the area. There is no comparison. It is more development, a better street level interaction, and fewer parking spaces than the Beacon proposed on the BeltLine. See the difference in what people have issue with:

For what it's worth though, I'd rather see the parking spaces at a diagonal.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 3:31 PM

Show me a Fuqua development that looks remotely like this. As far as parking, even Viewpoint/Skyhouse in Midtown has a dozen surface parking spots.

Typical Fuqua for comparison:

What pleasure do you get from constantly posting this kind of stuff? Do you have any comment about the actual content of this thread? Anything to add to the discussion of the Turner Field redevelopment? No?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Show me a Fuqua development that looks remotely like this. As far as parking, even Viewpoint/Skyhouse in Midtown has a dozen surface parking spots.

Typical Fuqua for comparison:

What pleasure do you get from constantly posting this kind of stuff? Do you have any comment about the actual content of this thread? Anything to add to the discussion of the Turner Field redevelopment? No?
I am just being the hypocrisy police and I am more than happy for you to call me out if I am being a hypocrite. I believe what I write here is defensible enough I would never question anyone for asking me to defend my belief. Do you not feel the same way?

Just so I am clear, you are OK with street parking with small neighborhood structures (<5K sq ft), but it is not OK to have underground parking in Downtown Atlanta - Underground Project with 1000 apartments, 320 hotel rooms and 250K sq ft of retail?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta