HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
That's less than 20 parking spaces in view for a massive development that is appropriate for the area. There is no comparison. It is more development, a better street level interaction, and fewer parking spaces than the Beacon proposed on the BeltLine. See the difference in what people have issue with:

For what it's worth though, I'd rather see the parking spaces at a diagonal.
With all do respect SA, The Beacon is a revitalization of 6 existing warehouses with the existing parking already there today. SA are you against adaptive reuse projects in Atlanta, GA? (and yes I am being a smart@$$)

PS
It looks like the Beacon has your quintessential parking format......just sayin'

The Beacon
The project at 1040 Grant St., a $20-million revitalization effort of six warehouses, has been dubbed "The Beacon." According to the Pellerin Real Estate website, the company expects the development to be the "next significant lifestyle destination along the Atlanta Beltline."

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I am just being the hypocrisy police and I am more than happy for you to call me out if I am being a hypocrite. I believe what I write here is defensible enough I would never question anyone for asking me to defend my belief. Do you not feel the same way?

Just so I am clear, you are OK with street parking with small neighborhood structures (<5K sq ft), but it is not OK to have underground parking in Downtown Atlanta - Underground Project with 1000 apartments, 320 hotel rooms and 250K sq ft of retail?
Please show me where I said it's not OK to have underground parking in downtown Atlanta. I'll wait.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Please show me where I said it's not OK to have underground parking in downtown Atlanta. I'll wait.
I hope I didn't keep you to long and waste your precious time...

Let me refresh your mind shivtim. See your post #33 on this page. http://http://forum.skyscraperpage.c...=227442&page=2. You and I went back and forth several times regarding the Underground project and you were very adamant against WRS adding an additional 1500 parking spaces.

If you look at Exhibit A - WRS Site Plan for the Underground Project below, it clearly illustrates the existing parking today. Do you see any NEW parking labeled on Exhibit A shivtim? Do you know why WRS did not show any NEW parking on Exhibit A shivtim? Because it is going to be UNDERGROUND PARKING....

Exhibit A

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
With all do respect SA, The Beacon is a revitalization of 6 existing warehouses with the existing parking already there today. SA are you against adaptive reuse projects in Atlanta, GA? (and yes I am being a smart@$$)

PS
It looks like the Beacon has your quintessential parking format......just sayin'
You just don't comprehend urban planning and that is okay. We know you don't. Since you're a numbers person, I recommend the book "the high cost of free parking" by Donald Shoup for you to broaden your perspective.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
You just don't comprehend urban planning and that is okay. We know you don't. Since you're a numbers person, I recommend the book "the high cost of free parking" by Donald Shoup for you to broaden your perspective.
For what it is worth, I don't take anything you said above personally - even though it is. I hope you don't as well.

Let's first start by examining URBAN by it's definition:
Wikipedia:
Urban Area - An urban area is a human settlement with high population density and infrastructure of built environment. Urban areas are created through urbanization and are categorized by urban morphology as cities, towns, conurbations or suburbs.

Now I am from suburban Buckhead so I could be out in left field, but in this area you are more likely to see this:
http://www.estately.com/listings/info/1278-grant-st

Than this:

So let's cut the shit and agree this area is not urban - even with the beltline. Not unless you would like to displace hundreds of single family homeowners and tear them down? Therefore I think The Beacon project as it is conceived today is a perfect "revitalization" project for an area with predominately single family homes and no mass transit for at least 10/15+ years. Is it appropriate for Downtown or Midtown - NO.

You maybe right, I don't comprehend Urban Planning. However, I will take common sense and a touch of intellect over urban planning any day if means what you have implied with respect to this debate. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Apr 7, 2017 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:18 PM

Please remember that the topic of this thread is Turner Field redevelopment by GSU. I think the Braves leaving will end up being a blessing for the neighborhood.

Last edited by shivtim; Apr 7, 2017 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:30 PM

Updates from Larry Berman (dean of GSU honors college) on facebook:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Still waiting. Let's see a quote.
Defend yourself shivtim - don't resort to being juvenile if you are trying to debate with adults (with a pulse).

With respect to your anti-parking tirade on the Underground thread, did you not even look at what WRS was proposing before you went off the deep end? You really are a Bush League debater. I am bored....

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Updates from Larry Berman (dean of GSU honors college) on facebook:

Good to see some progress photos. Thanks! I need to get over there and see for myself. GSU got a steal on all that acreage. Has anybody heard anything about the Fanplex property? Maybe it could revive it's original intent and be a pro-shop for one of those new-styled golfing ranges?? Does GSU have a golf program?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:08 AM

GSU, Carter, reach agreement with neighborhood associationss

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:00 AM

Curbed ran an article on the Georgia Avenue plans. http://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/4/25/...lopment-carter

I'm curious to learn where the apartments and dorms in phase 1 will be located in relation to Georgia Avenue. My guess would be somewhere around the intersection of Hank Aaron and Georgia Avenue.

Current state

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:33 AM

The transformation of Turner Field to Georgia State stadium continues

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTkbl-ajFJu/

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:30 PM

Summerhill Spec office, apartments and retail happenings

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...elopment-74269

Quote:
David Nelson, senior vice president with Atlanta developer Carter, said the first phase of the Turner Field redevelopment will include a spec, 30K SF office project geared toward creative office and co-working tenants. Construction financing would be packaged along with plans for a 120-unit multifamily project, both of which could start early next year.

Carter snagged two letters of intent with retailers, a brewery and a BBQ restaurant, for the 30K SF of retail space that is part of the first phase, Nelson said. And there is interest in other retailers, mostly restaurants and entertainment venues. The retail portion will break ground in October, while a planned 700-bed student housing tower should break ground in January, he said.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 4:59 PM

Georgia State stadium construction

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:50 PM

This starting to somewhat resemble a football stadium.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 11:48 PM

They moved all the protesters out this morning before 7:00. All cleaned up and swept when came back through at lunch. They must be about to start the external work along Hank Aaron I assume.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Because it is going to be UNDERGROUND PARKING....
My interpretation of the side profiles of the building was the new parking would be added above the retail (e.g. floors 2-5) of the new structures. Due to MARTA and the need to preserve many of the historic facades at the basement level, they will not be able to do any massive excavation to add underground parking for this project.

The ground floor plats you were looking at had ramps to the second level parking garage for vehicle access marked in grey. It appears on a few of the buildings the parking starts on the third level instead of the second level.

This diagram has the parking color coded as a 'grey' color. You can see they have screened the parking decks with some sort of metal sheathing in the diagram below:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:55 PM

A bunch of construction photos just posted in this Imgur album.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 11:58 AM

I so mourn the Braves not being here.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I so mourn the Braves not being here.
Who

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta