HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 9:17 PM

Starting to resemble a football stadium...kinda

https://twitter.com/mckayWSB/status/881866142280810496

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 3:04 AM

The Business Chronicle reports that permits have been filed for the Georgia Avenue redevelopment. Construction is expected to begin in October or November of this year.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 11:44 PM

Does anyone know if the new GSU field will be able to host soccer matches as well? Just eyeballing the stadium the field looks big enough, but can't really tell. I hope so... GSU soccer might be more competitive in town than football.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 3:14 PM
Development Spectator

I've had two questions as I've seen this stadium redeveloped, I wonder if anyone here can help.

1. Why did they use the third-base side for the long part of the field and not the first-base side? From the existing structure the first-base side (especially the arrangement of the upper deck) appears to be a more natural fit for football. Its odd that on the third-base side the upper deck ends before the new north end-zone. If it was turned the other way the could have a home side upper deck that went from end zone to end zone and there would be fewer sections that need to be demolished. The only reason I can think of is that they wanted the home side to face east and have more shade.

2. Why did the leave the old suntrust seats that used to be behind home plate? Those will be terrible seats to watch football.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
I've had two questions as I've seen this stadium redeveloped, I wonder if anyone here can help.

1. Why did they use the third-base side for the long part of the field and not the first-base side? From the existing structure the first-base side (especially the arrangement of the upper deck) appears to be a more natural fit for football. Its odd that on the third-base side the upper deck ends before the new north end-zone. If it was turned the other way the could have a home side upper deck that went from end zone to end zone and there would be fewer sections that need to be demolished. The only reason I can think of is that they wanted the home side to face east and have more shade.
Sunlight. In the evenings the sun sets in the west and you can't have the setting sun blinding the players if they are looking downfield. A secondary factor was probably the view of Atlanta in the inzone (if it were perpendicular to the field, if they wanted to expand the stands, it would block the view of the city, whereas they can preserve this view (like Sanford stadium in Athens) with this orientation.

I have no idea about #2, but it may be reserved for the marching band photographers. I'm sure it's cheaper leaving the seats in than taking them out in many instances. They indicated that next spring they will be doing a 'phase II' upgrade of the stadium. This initial work was limited due to time constraints with football season approaching.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Does anyone know if the new GSU field will be able to host soccer matches as well? Just eyeballing the stadium the field looks big enough, but can't really tell. I hope so... GSU soccer might be more competitive in town than football.
The dimensions are modeled so that it can host international soccer matches. As for GSU Soccer they certainly do not need 44k seats. Their future destination is rumored to be the current GSU Football Practice Complex.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Sunlight. In the evenings the sun sets in the west and you can't have the setting sun blinding the players if they are looking downfield. A secondary factor was probably the view of Atlanta in the inzone (if it were perpendicular to the field, if they wanted to expand the stands, it would block the view of the city, whereas they can preserve this view (like Sanford stadium in Athens) with this orientation.

I have no idea about #2, but it may be reserved for the marching band photographers. I'm sure it's cheaper leaving the seats in than taking them out in many instances. They indicated that next spring they will be doing a 'phase II' upgrade of the stadium. This initial work was limited due to time constraints with football season approaching.
Correct on #1. Remember that basically what has occurred is that the stadium has been returned to it's natural Olympic orientation which was a North/South orientation.

As for #2 I think it might be bad if they were sideline so eats but being end zone seats it's a little different. Bit to be honest had not noticed that. But I trust Heery International as they have been the architects on all three incarnations of to the stadium.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 9:40 PM

Making progress toward the first games on August 18.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWvbifsjKez/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 11:54 AM

GSU stadium is also installing a turf field.

https://twitter.com/GSUStadium/statu...22629427187712

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:59 PM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
This is pretty cool.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 6:48 PM

Phase 1 of the transformation to GSU stadium is nearly complete.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 7:10 PM

Reminiscent of the old days when stadiums were dual purpose like the Mets/Jets in Shea.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 8:12 PM

Wow! Quite beautiful!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 5:00 PM

GSU stadium is ready for its first game.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:24 PM

^Only if they play without goal posts.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^Only if they play without goal posts.
Done

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:36 AM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 11:54 AM

New renderings/details of the Summerhill Vision

Highlights from the AJC article

Phase I
  • Georgia Avenue retail (renovations start in November)
  • Mid-rise loft office building
  • Boutique hotel
  • 175 Town-home style rentals
  • 700-bed dorm (to break ground in February)

20,000 Sf of the retail has been leased so far, all of it local. A grocery store is planned in a later phase.

http://www.myajc.com/news/local-govt...o5YEgrXO0OZXL/

$300 million development

Video Link

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Sep 2, 2017 at 12:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 7:58 PM
Kev K

A couple days late, but here was the view from the third baseline 40-yard line, 30 rows up, on the existing side near the end of the 1st with a late-arriving crowd. What a great asset for GSU moving forward!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta